In the News... Frontpage... what to do next?

"MYSTERY IN THE WOODS SOLVED"

92079.jpg

I opened my local paper and what did I see, but a picture I immediately recognized... one of my geocaching boxes I've hidden with the title: "Mystery in the Woods Solved"

I read the article (please read it yourself as I have some questions) and it's largely nuetral in it's coverage. However, there are some area's I'd like to address, but don't know if I should just leave the article alone and hope my cache doesn't get plundered soon. Some of the misstatements were:

• "The only rule of the game is to take something, leave something and write in the logbook." Do I need to let them know there are many rules (such as no digging, etc)?

• "In addition, people are urged not to put any explosives, ammo, drugs or alcohol in the cache." "Urged" ??

• "items like food and candles" In all the times I've checked the cache both logging with a note on the website or without logging, there has never been any food in this cache.

• "There are also reports of more containers at various locations in and around Alexandria. There are reports of one near the Lake Burgen rest area, one near Alexandria City Park and another by Lake Brophy Park. People have even witnessed an ammo container in the Kensington Runestone Park." Three of the four caches mentioned above are mine, though only Alexandria City Park has been "published". Do I do anything to move, remove or temporarily diable these caches? Last fall I started a topic on this very cache and in the end, opted to leave it through the winter. Now this article.

• "— some of the containers also contain a notebook" Should I explain that ALL caches contain a logbook and an explanation sheet for this type of unintended 'find'?

• :On the box was the stamped word "GeoCache." Following a search of the Internet, Wenner found out what drove people to traverse the terrain behind his home in search of the ammo box." This just humors me a little as not only is geocache stenciled, but Geocaching.com, so an internet search was not 'needed'. Also, I have a very clear 8.5x11 explanation sheet in all my caches.

• "So if you see people acting strangely and following the lead of an electronic device, don’t worry, they are probably just geocaching."

So, not too negative, not extremely positive... I am tempted to temporarily disable the one in the paper. This picture and most of the "watching" had to have taken place in the fall winter and early spring as the summper provides ample foliage for cover. What do you think?

I have contacted the Paper and offered to answer any questions they may have. I've also followed up with the Alexandria Parks dept. to see if they had any questions or concerns about the article and cache that I could answer.

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."

[This message was edited by Us 5 Camp on May 08, 2003 at 09:32 AM.]

I liked when they called it a 'metal artillery box', that's funny.

All-in all I thought it was OK, the press never really reports anything accurately (at least everything that I have had first hand knowledge of, that gets reported, the press screws up pretty bad).

People that are concerned or interested can get the facts from the web site (clearly printed in the article), people that don't care, don't matter, they have enough info to get the gist of the game. I wouldn't worry about the poor reporting.

Until I read this article, I never thought of how hard it would be to keep the cache location stealthy, with all the footprints in snow.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

I think you should clue them in withthe things you mentioned above...

I would add or change the description of items found inside...shampoo bottle? pens? golf ball?...sheesh...sounds boring and worthless... icon_frown.gif

And they call the boxes "game pieces"....hmmm...that doesnt sit well, either...

I would also mention that a rule is to place ONLY on public lands, unless with express permision from a land owner. The article kinda gives people the idea we place them wherever we want.... icon_frown.gif

I wouldnt worry about your other caches, though... icon_smile.gif

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

www.pirate4x4.com

I like:

quote:
In each case, people with an electronic device in their hands have been seen wandering around the area where the containers are located. The devices seem to guide them to the containers and the objects inside.
Like they're some sort of magic.

Jamie

"There are also reports of more containers at various locations in and around Alexandria. There are reports of one near the Lake Burgen rest area, one near Alexandria City Park and another by Lake Brophy Park. People have even witnessed an ammo container in the Kensington Runestone Park.

It seems to be nationwide, too, as citizens in cities across the country have reported ammo boxes in mostly unrelated places."

Kind of sounds like UFO sitings. That is a really poorly written article. There is a place to respond with your thoughts at the end of the article. Let them know how you feel and invite them to find out more about our little game. Maybe the author will become a cacher.

Today's children would be less spoiled if we could spank grandparents!

Interesting article. I take from it that we should be more careful about where we place caches.

If you must place one near homes, be sure that searchers won't be observed.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

I sent a friendly email to the link at the bottom of the article. (Sorry, I forgot to save a copy for here) Overall, I thought it was a nice article that was fairly neutral about Geocaching. Interested people might use the link to geocaching.com and learn more. The rest of the Muggles probably couldn't care less.

I've been asked to meet with a reporter here in Albuquerque next week to discuss Geocaching. Hope it present it in a way that doesn't get all twisted by the editors. (BTW, any Markwells to useful things to tell the Press would be appreciated) icon_smile.gif

bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Interesting article. I take from it that we should be more careful about where we place caches.

If you must place one near homes, be sure that searchers won't be observed.

_"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"_ -Abraham Lincoln

Exactly why I started this discussion last fall. I strongly contemplated removing it for the winter. Summer months are NOT a problem with this cache location. I'll leave it now that foliage is returning, but WILL likely remove the cache next winter.

It sounds like the "research" done by the journalist writing this article was to field a phone call from the resident who discovered the cache near his backyard, and then a quick websurf over to geocaching.com. Perhaps that's why he's writing for the Alexandria, Minnesota "Echo Press" rather than "The New York Times." (No offense meant to your fine town, mind you.) I guess I'd take a poorly researched article over a negative article.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

It certainly seems like geocaching is getting alot of press in Minnesota all the sudden. A number of MNGCA members have been contacted by a reporter from the Rochester, MN (Home of the Mayo Clinic) area who is researching for a story....

I'd actually be tempted to leave the cache alone... Yes, there might be a few geomuggles tempted to find it, but who's to say that isn't the first step into transforming them into GeoCachers?

----------------------------------

MnGCA-button.gif

----------------------------------

"The number you have reached is imaginary, please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again... <beeeeep>"

quote:
Originally posted by Team VE:

It certainly seems like geocaching is getting alot of press in Minnesota all the sudden.

See what you can do about getting that silly State Park ban reversed. I'm a little embarassed that my home state has banned geocaches. And here I always felt Minnesota was on the leading edge of things... One of my all-time favorite caches was in a state park in Minnesota where I'd never been until I saw there was a geocache.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

See what you can do about getting that silly State Park ban reversed. I'm a little embarassed that my home state has banned geocaches. And here I always felt Minnesota was on the leading edge of things... One of my all-time favorite caches was in a state park in Minnesota where I'd never been until I saw there was a geocache.

Jamie

In Idaho the Governer has a goofy program where you visit each county and get a stamp from a participating business. Collect them all and I forget what the prize is. The point of the program is internal tourism. This is exactly what geocaching is and does. It does it far and away better than the visit every county stamp idea does. Support can be had from the Governer if presented correctly due to the economic benifit of geocaching.

I now know more hole in the wall dives to eat at than I ever knew existed in my pre caching days.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I would write a letter to the editor identifying yourself as the owner of the cache and an avid geocacher. Explain as you did here the rules of caching and point out some of the discrepancies in the article. If they publish it that would be great, if not at least you know you tried.

Eeyore

I'm one sat short of triangulation.

Heres a Link to one Geocacher's letter to the editor from this board.

It was published in the 5/16/03 paper. I'll let you know if any further articles or op/ed listings get published.

FYI... I sent a letter to the paper and the parks dept. asking them to contact me if they would like to know more about Geocaching. So far, no response.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

No comment on the article, but I don have one on the photo...

What's that white stuff all over the ground and around the cache? Is it dangerous?

george

Wanna go for a ride?

I was wondering about that as well...wonder what they call that stuff?

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

No comment on the article, but I don have one on the photo...

What's that white stuff all over the ground and around the cache? Is it dangerous?

george

Wanna go for a ride?

It is definately dangerous, and expensive! I understand people drive up in the mountains and pay to have boards strapped to their feet and get slid down the mountain again...

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)