Geocaching Calendar

Jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by WVDan:

New River Gorge Bridge, the longest steel arch bridge in the world. And it's right here in home sweet West Virginia.

Rafted under it a couple of times...beautiful country!

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

In defense of UNESCO. Sure, the UN is full of politics, but so are all the other charities mentioned, including Ronald McDonald and the BSA.

In this era, _nothing_ escapes the political ballpark. C'est la vie. icon_frown.gif

How is the Ronald McDonald House political???? That's funny that people make comments when they know nothing about what they are assuming. And you know what assuming gets ya...it makes an a** out of ya!!!

As much as I want the money to go to a wonderful charity (who all desperately need the money to help people) I am beginning to think that the best solution is going to be for gc.com to keep the funds.

quote:
Originally posted by Gorak:

I don't have a specific charity in mind but, since Geocaching is an international game, might I suggest one that is international in nature rather than specific to the US? There are a lot of geocachers outside the USA (such as myself) who may not be inclined to donate to a charity that benefits Americans only.

Gorak

"It's not the prize, but the search,

It's not the Charity but the Calendar!!"

Really there are some superb photos already posted throughout this forum, and some really great photogs.

Charity"? Something NOTPOLITICAL< I also support the Nasar.

Jeff Scism, a GeoCan in hand is worth putting in a cache!!

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

I say forget donating a lump sum of money to a charity. I've headed fundraising in the past and the best method is to have a physical item that the money buys.

For example, let's say that the benches are in need of replacement in a certain caching area. Get together with the park and offer to buy replacement benches. People will be much more motivated to buy a calendar that helps out with something they can physically see the result. You could even use the slogan "Buy a Calendar and help buy a bench."

Just a thought.

--CoronaKid

quote:
Originally posted by CoronaKid:

I say forget donating a lump sum of money to a charity. I've headed fundraising in the past and the best method is to have a physical item that the money buys.

For example, let's say that the benches are in need of replacement in a certain caching area. Get together with the park and offer to buy replacement benches. People will be much more motivated to buy a calendar that helps out with something they can physically see the result. You could even use the slogan "Buy a Calendar and help buy a bench."

Just a thought.

--CoronaKid

I like that idea better too. Makes sense, to me because I don't give to charity because it all seems like a hoax to begin with since you can't see where your money goes.

Also, should we be focusing on the calendar right now and the chartiy later? Even after we get some solid ideas and photos together its going to take time to produce the calendar not to mention that its going to be a 2004 so technically we wouldn't be donating until at least then. Just a thought.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

Of all the geocaching photos I've taken, this one at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=57286 is my favorite:

Gorgeous terrain, plus it captures the hectic run-and-get-the-cache nature of a cache machine event.

Then again, I like this one at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=55384&log=y&decrypt=:

Hmmm. Travis, you seem to have taken a lot of picutres of leonata and I on the Yakima cache machine. I don't know if I should be flattered or worried...

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

quote:
Originally posted by Corp Of Discovery:

Thanks for reminding me, didn't mean to leave out the Girl Scouts. Who knows, they may both eventually have a Geocaching badge!

If you want an organization that supports kids, how about Campfire? I don't see an international branch, but someone else might know of one. Their advantage is that they are open to all youth, without prejudice.

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

My two cents:

I like the idea of a calendar.

The photos should have cachers in them (makes the pictures more interesting than just nature shots).

gc.com should keep the money. We'll never find a charity we can all agree on and from what I hear, gc.com could use the funds.

Ode to a Pigeon: Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, You Lookin' at Me? YOU LOOKIN' AT ME?! (b. katt, 7/14/03)

quote:
Originally posted by mbrownjer:

Non-political, international charity? The http://nature.org/ fits the bill. The organization works with governments and private landowners worldwide to protect the most incredible places on earth! It has the support of people in both major US political parties, and the governments of both industrialized and emerging nations around the world.

icon_biggrin.gif I would vote for that!

ingeo-button2.gifbad_boy_a.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

Jeremy,

I think that any charity you choose is a loosing situation for you because it’s bound to upset many people. I had a former boss that loved a win - win situation. How about putting the money back into Geocaching. I’m thinking something like a contest for the best submitted photos or a contest that a lucky cacher would win a get away caching weekend. The opportunities are only limited by your imagination. Just think of the publicity this would draw.

quote:
Originally posted by I Believe:

Jeremy,

I think that any charity you choose is a loosing situation for you because it’s bound to upset many people. I had a former boss that loved a win - win situation. How about putting the money back into Geocaching. I’m thinking something like a contest for the best submitted photos or a contest that a lucky cacher would win a get away caching weekend. The opportunities are only limited by your imagination. Just think of the publicity this would draw.

I resemble that remark!

quote:
Originally posted by Cache'N'Carry:

How about converting the proceeds from the calendar into WG$, packing it into an ammo can, and hiding it in the woods. Notify the heads of all the organizations named above and give them the coords. icon_smile.gif

Does Kofi Annan own a GPSr?

Would that be considered soft or hard money if one of the political parties was the first to retrieve the cache?

quote:
Originally posted by bradtal:

.....What I think would be cool is a _Geocaching Screen Saver.....

There are now three Geocaching screensavers of caches in the UK; you can download the first two here. I think they're great and have used them all.

If there's going to be a Geocaching calendar then let's make it truely international to reflect the game; that means international pictures and an international charity.

Dave

Founder member of GAGB

851007_200.jpg

...geocaching as a family-bonding experience. That's me with my daughter at "Not Swept Away" geocache in Vancouver, BC.

Nature Conservancy sounds like an excellent idea. It's international, and it fits with the CITO aspect of geocaching. (I've found at least one geocache on their land. Not sure they knew about it, but all the more reason...)

-------------

"Thos' Degrees of Longitude and Latitude in Name, yet in Earthly reality are they Channels mark'd for the transport of some unseen Influence, one carefully assembl'd chain…"

– Thomas Pynchon, Mason & Dixon