Geocaching Calendar

Jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by SamLowrey:

I don't see why it "has" to be. GPS is not international. It was funded by the US unless I am mistaken.

The satellites may be, but the game is international - "over 180 countries" according to the GC homepage. I personally would not knowingly contribute to any charity that benefited only americans. However, if the intent is to only market the calendar to american geocachers, then my opinion is irrelevant.

Gorak

quote:
Originally posted by Team Og Rof A Klaw:

I vote _against_ UNESCO. Let's go with a conservation charity that doesn't drag in a truckload of political baggage.

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

_All who wander are not lost._

Yeah, I don't know why people seem to assume something to do with the UN is non-political??!!

In defense of UNESCO. Sure, the UN is full of politics, but so are all the other charities mentioned, including Ronald McDonald and the BSA.

In this era, nothing escapes the political ballpark. C'est la vie. icon_frown.gif

ingeo-button2.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

In defense of UNESCO. Sure, the UN is full of politics, but so are all the other charities mentioned, including Ronald McDonald and the BSA.

In this era, _nothing_ escapes the political ballpark. C'est la vie. icon_frown.gif

When I hear "charity" in my mind, the first thing I think of is "BS." I think of them as being about the equivalent to throwing money down a toilet. Most people seem motivated to give to charity so they can be seen doing so. There is a charity drive where I work every year where they have the audacity to imply it is somehow expected you let them take money out of your paycheck. No thanks.

I wish this had nothing to do with charity but just went to support GC.com. Why not?

How about the World Wildlife Fund?

Known worldwide by its panda logo, World Wildlife Fund (WWF) is dedicated to protecting the world's wildlife and wildlands. The largest privately supported international conservation organization in the world, WWF has more than 1 million members in the U.S. alone. Since its inception in 1961, WWF has invested in over 13,100 projects in 157 countries.

WWF directs its conservation efforts toward three global goals: protecting endangered spaces, saving endangered species and addressing global threats. From working to save the giant panda, tiger, and rhino to helping establish and manage parks and reserves worldwide, WWF has been a conservation leader for 40 years.

Sam, I agree with you 100% icon_biggrin.gif

But in the 1st post of this thread, Jeremy said:

quote:
All the proceeds of the calendar will go to a charity,

I was just trying to stay OT. bad_boy_a.gif

I personally think the proceeds should go back to Groundspeak.

ingeo-button2.gif

I think the charity should be an organization that in some way contributes to geocaching. To be a kind of thank you. Some charity that maintains hiking trails, or teaches children/people about the outdoors, orienteering, etc., or preserves lands for recreational uses.

I also don't mind the money supporting geocaching.com. It takes money to maintain the web site. However Jeremy did say charity so if that what they want, give it to an organization that at least recognizes geocahing or contributes to it in some form.

I bought a GPSr so the ladies would stop telling me to get lost. It didn't work icon_frown.gif.

quote:
Originally posted by WVDan:

I think the charity should be an organization that in some way contributes to geocaching. To be a kind of thank you. Some charity that maintains hiking trails, or teaches children/people about the outdoors, orienteering, etc., or preserves lands for recreational uses.

One of my favorite hiking trails has a club - http://www.lshtclub.com/ Something like that I could go for. Perhaps there is something like that on a national level.

Quite honestly, I beleive that you will have problems if you try to find a charity that: has no political stances, no national ties, no religious ties, supports geocaching ideas but doesn't take jobs from individuals in industry, benefits everyone in the geocaching community, and doesn't spend too much money on overhead costs. I suggest posting names of charities (since that appears to be what was asked for originally) and let TPTB decide which to support. If you don't like the charity, don't buy the calendar. Simple.

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

How about instead of a calendar you put together a coffee table book with photos from approved virtual caches? icon_biggrin.gif

This is my favorite post of the day.

I guess the question then becomes, how many virutal cache pictures would actually be coffee table book worthy. Probably not many.

Pan

What does anybody want? I want the Red Sox to win the World Series. - Bill Pullman as Alan Safian in Malice, in response to being asked "What do you want?"

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

I guess the question then becomes, how many virutal cache pictures would actually be coffee table book worthy. Probably not many.

I think you will find quite a few good ones. For example, Big John

and [pride] yes it is one of mine [/pride]

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SamLowrey:

quote:
Originally posted by StormShadow:

How about the World Wildlife Fund?

They favor Kyoto agreement, so "no."

So 'yes'.

Well, the UNESCO sounds the best so far anyway.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

How about instead of a calendar you put together a coffee table book with photos from approved virtual caches? icon_biggrin.gif

This is my favorite post of the day.

I can see my guests now:

"I was just admiring your book of library dedication plaques and obscure historical markers."

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

I can see my guests now:

"I was just admiring your book of library dedication plaques and obscure historical markers."

"Yes, but did you get to the end, where the rotting animal carcass and the shoe covered tree are pictured?"

Pan

Here there be tigers. - My response when asked by a fellow Geocacher to describe the attitude of the forums.

quote:
Originally posted by WVDan:

Well, what about Rails to Trails Conservancy? They certainly contribute to geocaching (as evidence by the photo of a Rails to Trails area that I saw earlier in this thread).

Of course ultimately this should probably be Jeremy's decision but I thought I'd throw this in.

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

Geocaching blog

San Jose, CA

Admittedly, I haven't read this whole thread but how about forming a World CITO organization and funding it with the proceeds. We need more garbage bags and disposal costs covered! Geocaching Garbage Trucks! Dumpsters! A trash can in every park! When the CT State budget got low the removed trash cans from the parks. We need someone to pick them up too. This could be big!!! Or, I could be dreaming and I'll wake up soon.

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by beckerbuns:

Well, what about Rails to Trails Conservancy? They certainly contribute to geocaching (as evidence by the photo of a Rails to Trails area that I saw earlier in this thread).

I could get behind that.

Better yet, is there a McMansions to Meadows Conservancy? smile.gif

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

All who wander are not lost.

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

Admittedly, I haven't read this whole thread but how about forming a World CITO organization and funding it with the proceeds. We need more garbage bags and disposal costs covered! Geocaching Garbage Trucks! Dumpsters! A trash can in every park! When the CT State budget got low the removed trash cans from the parks. We need someone to pick them up too. This could be big!!! Or, I could be dreaming and I'll wake up soon.

Planet

I like the World CITO idea!

You have got to be kidding me about taking AWAY the trashcans from the parks b/c of a low budget?!?! That makes a whole bunch of sense!

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

_The Boy Scouts might be a good charity_

I second that motion but would not like to leave-out the Girl Scouts. Scouting offers the chance for young men and women to learn so much and to become useful members of society.

Thanks for reminding me, didn't mean to leave out the Girl Scouts. Who knows, they may both eventually have a Geocaching badge!

Remember, wherever you go- there you are!

I might buy one as long as "soapy boy, rinsy boy" from Oregon isn't inculded.

Dorothy: "How can you talk if haven't got a brain?" Scarecrow: "I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?"

I was wondering if the reciepient of the donation had to be from the US. If TPTB were to parcel it out into different countries, I support the previously mentioned rails to trails.

Canadian version - Trans Canada Trail. They have built thousands of miles of old railbed to hiking/biking trails. The trails can have plaques at pavillions along the trail to commemorate donors. A truly worthwhile logo to have there would be geocaching, as many caches are hidden along it.

In BC, they now need more money to rebuild a large number of old trestles from the Kettle valley railway( and the caches that were contained therein) that became tinder for the Okanagan Park forest fire. Many were destroyed.

I know that the calendars would sell up here. This is a great idea. icon_smile.gif

Linking the photo to geocaching might be done with a smaller picture of a topo map with the red X indicating the picture/cache position as Topozone shows a waypoint location alongside the main picture.

Another possibility is to include a small photo of a manufacturer's GPS's. A different one for each month. You would of course get the mfr's to offset some (all?) of the cost of publishing and contribute to the fund as well. SInce the proceeds are going to charity,(after cost I'm assuming) I don't think anyone could really object to commercial contributions any more than when companies contribute to the Jerry Lewis' Telethon.

Alan

Love the idea. I vote for Ronald McDonald house and/or the Boy & Girl Scouts.

Please stay away from the UN and so called green charities. Most of these are polical and really don't give a hoot about the enviroment.

As far as the NPS, the money would end up in the general fund and wasted. We can get more milage from the press with RM house.

Pictures should relate to Geocaching not just background pics even if I have enjoyed the pics from this thread.

My roommate shot these on caching trips and is submitting these for the calendar. He has them available in very high res versions... the chimney rock shot is available as a 30MB tiff.

Chimney Rock (about 300 feet from GCC582)

chimney-dscf6699.jpg

Sunset hiking back from Chimney Rock

parrish-sky-194229-dscf6787.jpg

Headwaters of Fall River, near GCB306

green-water.102500-dscf0560.jpg

oregongeocoinsbtn.jpg

[This message was edited by Mr. Snazz on September 16, 2003 at 09:56 PM.]

[This message was edited by Mr. Snazz on September 16, 2003 at 09:56 PM.]

captnemo

quote:
Pictures should relate to Geocaching not just background pics even if I have enjoyed the pics from this thread.

Agreed; 100%

And most of the photos should have people in them (preferably geocachers).

ingeo-button2.gifbad_boy_a.gif

Here's one of my bronco parked on the edge of a dry lake, near our "Do Dry Lakes Make You Harney?" cache. I think it captures the kind of desolation you see when caching southeast of central oregon.

DSC05804.JPG

And here's one of my roommate Nickr signing the logbook at the Pistol Pete cache:

DSC04534.JPG

One of me looking out over the edge near our Revenge of Dry Canyon cache:

.SLIDE_pict2715.jpg.jpg

oregongeocoinsbtn.jpg

[This message was edited by Mr. Snazz on September 16, 2003 at 10:20 PM.]

I think that there should be a National and/or International Geocaching organization that should be created to sponsor community service type events around the country/world. Like a state geocaching event could sponsor a geocaching day for special olympics or some other special needs group and use the money collected from the calenders to provide food, prizes, etc for the event. The money could also be used to provide food for events like the CITO Days, geocaching holiday events, etc. So instead of giving the money to other organizations, we could have our own organization and use the money from the calendars and anything else someone might want to create to collect money for strictly geocaching related activities. Just a thoughticon_smile.gif

I just had another idea about the calendar. If the calendar is more of a scenery type calendar, then what the pictures can consist of is one giant shot of the general location of where the cache is and then around the perimiter of the picture put the letters and numbers like they do on a map and then the back of the calendar can say this cache is located at like "G 12", then if you want to,go to that picture and try to look for the general area the cache is in.

Excellent photos but I will echo the view above that a 'spot the cache' in each picture would be better than just a collection of 'Wonderful Scenery'. Could we have the Groundspeak 'Frog Collection' marking out important dates, etc. along with a selection of memorable avatars. (I think Renegade's and BrianSnats appear in my sleep !!) icon_smile.gificon_eek.gif

Andy

P.S. Oh yes.... and Hydeeeeeee should be there as well !

quote:
...I'd also like to submit photos I took at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=64844 in West virginia. I have a geat sunset photo, and a nice photo of a train going through the gorge. The pictures were taken July 20 2003.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/display/1742702_300.jpg

this Sunset is at of the cache area. The cache is a virtual where you must go to this point and take a picture of the New River Gorge Bridge with your GPSr in the photo.

The New River Gorge Bridge is the longest Steel Arch bridge in the world.

I also have a photo of the bridge without the gps in it.

I bought a GPSr so the ladies would stop telling me to get lost. It didn't work icon_frown.gif.

quote:
Originally posted by junglehair:

How about the National Park Service? OK, that was a joke, but maybe the Sierra Club?

I like the idea of the calendar.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

NOT THE SIERRA CLUB, WWF, or Humane Society. That is going to rankle too many of us hunters and gun owners who geocache.

How about the "Huntnlady desperately needs a new geocache vehicle fund?"

Seriously, though, if Jeremy wants to keep it for his chrome-plated vespa, that's alright with me. The Ronald McDonald House is a good international charity.

Check out the photos on my Apr. 27 log for

The Point

[This message was edited by Huntnlady on September 17, 2003 at 09:53 AM.]

I agree with many of the good points raised here, including:

(1) the concept that all photos should show either a person actively participating in geocaching, or perhaps a cache (we don't need another nature photo calendar -- the book stores are full of them); and

(2) that almost any charity I can think of has some political associations -- although one that I thought of (Leave No Trace) does not have any that I am aware of.

Still back to the issue of who would buy this calendar, and if it really could raise funds compared to doing something else with a much greater profit potential.

Regardless, the photos have been fantastic !