Geocaching Calendar

Jeremy

This one (as all believe in their own) should deserve merit.

The Virginia Creeper trail streches from historic Abingdon to Damascus. Part of the "Rails to Trails" development, the old rail bed has been transformed into a beautiful hike/bike trail.

This is the tressle one must cross when entering the area near the old Alvarado store(which contains much history itself).

There are five or more caches uniquely placed within this trail.

This photo was taken December of last year, believe it or not. Weird that so much foliage is still left on the trees.48511_5400.jpg

48511_5100.JPG

Yup. That's MY goat!

O.K. Here is a thought...there was a thread a while back on the YELLOW JEEP thing...& low & behold we just saw one today & logged it..here tis' the picture we just took today, in Page, AZ. If you want the coordinates..I have those too.

2067457_200.jpg

A Geocaching classic! & much talked about.

Everybody is entitled to my opinion - the ornery oldfart

[This message was edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders) on September 15, 2003 at 04:34 PM.]

Got it. First was taken in August and second was taken in SeptemberP1010005.JPGP1010032.JPG

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Cache me out dammit, I'm in a hurry!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

-Thomas Jefferson

[This message was edited by The Rocket Pack on September 15, 2003 at 04:17 PM.]

[This message was edited by The Rocket Pack on September 15, 2003 at 04:30 PM.]

[This message was edited by The Rocket Pack on September 15, 2003 at 04:31 PM.]

[This message was edited by The Rocket Pack on September 15, 2003 at 04:33 PM.]

[This message was edited by The Rocket Pack on September 15, 2003 at 04:35 PM.]

Here's a suggestion:

When you submit a photo - add the month that the photo was taken.

Jeremy - are you guys planning on thinning it out then posting finalists for each month (or season?) I think that would work well.

My first thoughts about the organization (I hesitate to say charity) would be the NPS. I think it really could deliver a statement. Of course, it could look like lobbying too.

My nomination would be the USFS. They've been supportive of geocaching as far as I know and they can always use the money.

I'd suggest coming up with a list of serious candidates then having a poll that is semi-scientific (email users and ask them to click the link to vote) to get an idea.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by Corp Of Discovery:

The Boy Scouts might be a good charity, future cachers and they are international.

Remember, wherever you go- there you are!

I have to agree, the Boy Scouts is a great organization and is deserving of our support. I am not opposed to splitting it between the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts. Sounds like just the type of publicity Geocaching could use.

I was also in favor of donating to the National Park Service but donating money to any government agency is problematic. Very few government agencies can accept funds for their own use, most of the time it is placed in a *General Fund* from which the government draws funds for various activities. We would be better off gathering at National Park facilities and offering our time and labor as that is just as needed as funds.

Of course, it is possible to put the funds toward a specific project at *A* national park, say if Yellowstone needed a new roof on the stables or something. that might be arranged much more easily than the donation of funds.

Might be worth it to check into it.

I'm not a great enough photographer to submit a photo, but I'll be glad to vote on those that are submitted. This sounds like a really great idea.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Afghanistan was a battle. Iraq was a battle. The war goes on."

The National Park Service is NOT a good choice, unless we ignore the fact that under the present administration and policies, they are NOT the best stewards of the natural environment. Please consider a non-governmental organization (NGO), and take into consideration their need (or lack thereof) for funds. I will submit some photos later this week.

This is a nice idea.

Give Kids The World is a 51-acre, non-profit resort for children with life-threatening illnesses whose one wish is to visit DisneyWorld. They are closely affiliated with the Make a wish foundation. My daughter was a wish child in 95, and we all stayed at the GKTW village. There were children from all over the globe there, living a dream, if only for a week. I truly believe it was this hiatus from chemo, needles, poking and prodding that gave her the boost and desire to survive. It has been and always will be my favorite charity. Their website is below.

http://www.gktw.org

I know we're probably aiming for an environmental charity, but due to extremist views of some of these organizations I nominate another childrens charity:

Victory Junction Gang Camp

What is the Victory Junction Gang Capital Campaign?

The capital campaign will serve as the primary source of funds to build The Victory Junction Gang Camp—a medical camp for children and their families living with chronic and/or life-threatening illnesses. The campaign goal is $24 million—$20 million of construction and $4 million for start-up operating costs and endowment, a permanent account in which funds are invested and the income used to defray operating costs. The campaign officially ends December 31, 2004. However, pledge payments will extend beyond that date.

The campaign is proudly supported by Nascar driver Kyle Petty (and Petty Enterprises) and NASCAR.

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

I like that idea Jeremy. WE have some great pictures, but I'm sure a lot of cachers do. That's to bad about Nature's Conservancy. I use to belong, because they buy the land, & without the land you can't save any critters.

World Wildlife Fund. Trail-to-Trail. Or The ASPCA. I also like the idea of giving to the NP's. Hopefully they would change views about us. And of course being a GRITS, The Everglades program could sure use some help, as The State Parks. That would include everyone.

rocker

give to the world the best you have,

and the best will come back to you.

...............MaryAinge deVere

quote:
Originally posted by Greenback:

Cool idea but how do I attach a photo to the reply?

First, the image must be hosted somewhere on the web. Then you need to put the URL of the photo between the UBBcode image tags:

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

quote:
Originally posted by DapperDanMan:

This one was taken by a cache I hid. It was shot with a 5 megapixel camera and my brother shot some photos on 6x7 format camera.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=73376

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/73376_400.jpg

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/120878_1400.gif

WoW!!!!!

Don't mind us, we're just looking for tupperware in this bush.

quote:
Originally posted by st_richardson:

quote:
Originally posted by Gorak:

...I work for a great international charity (shameless plug) that is in nearly 250 countries. It is called the Ronald McDonald House...

That would make an interesting choice since half of our geocaches are filled with things from McDonalds. icon_smile.gif

While I don't disagree with you, it was Houston Muggles who posted that statement, not me.

Gorak

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

I heard Playboy was doing a search for 'women of geocaching' spread.

Perhaps there could be some sort of tie-in there.

I just heard on the news today that Playboy IS looking for 'Women of Walmart'! There's an issue I can do without.

Back to the topic, is there a place to submit pictures? Or just post them here?

Edit: Sorry, didn't see page 2 of this thread until after I posted.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

As a non US citizen I have to place my vote for McD's house. It's the only one mentiond that is international And doesn't have other offensive afiliations. ie: most of the green freeks that would prefer to rule our lives and keep sus locked up at home so that nature would be left pristeen for their exclusive use.

As for pics. I think all should have at least a gps in it. Or something else that says "This was taken while Geocaching" without looking at the front cover. oh and I don't mean a sign that says this was taken while Geocaching icon_wink.gif

Pat Patterson

Garmin 12XL

Some have graceland, some have mecca. We have the side of a gravel road in Oregon.... How did we get to be the better off?

Here are a few I think are nice, I hope nice enough to make it into a calander.

Peanut Brittle Conspiracy (GC89D7) by MeBuff8Fan (1/2.5)

Brittle Lake

Lake-bittle-crop-sm.JPG

Place of Honor (GC3E56) by Bigcall (2/1.5)

Over look above JFK's Memorial

JFK_Overlook-sm.JPG

Greatfalls Overlook (GCDA63) by RobAGD (1/1)

Great Falls VA 1

falls1lSDC-sm.jpg

and for when it was a tad dry out I walked across without getting my feet wet. This was taken a few Years

ago late summer during a rather nasty drought we were having on the East Coast. This is taken from the final

location of my Great Falls Virtual as its NPS land I couldn't place a traditional cache.

Great Falls Dry

GF_low_pano-sm.JPG

From Cali in March

(GCB60) Not a Helicopter Pad... by Jeff and Dan (1/1.5)

Helo-pad-pano-sm.jpg

(GC681B) Ridge Line by RomanKam (2/3.5)

ridgeline-pano-crop-sm.jpg

the last one is actually a 360, but my camera has no manual way to hold the color adjustment when doing a pano...

Enjoy the picks

-Robert

[This message was edited by RobAGD on September 16, 2003 at 02:30 PM.]

[This message was edited by RobAGD on September 16, 2003 at 02:32 PM.]

WAY OT:

quote:
Originally posted by RobAGD:

ok the time limit to edit a post is gay.

I think its entirely appropriate. It is ridiculous when people go back to posts they made a week ago and alter things they've said because they were called out.

It may not be applicable to anything you were trying to do in this post, but in general I support the limit.

And, BTW, your choice of insult is weak, and telling.

Pan

What does anybody want? I want the Red Sox to win the World Series. - Bill Pullman as Alan Safian in Malice, in response to being asked "What do you want?"

There is going to be no shortage of magestic scenery. But how do we make it relevant to Geocaching. One way I can think of is to make it into a "Where's Waldo" type thing. We can have the beautiful scenes BUT (probably through some overlay or superimposement) there is a cache somewhere that the person can spot! That makes it very much like geocaching.

Imagine this: you have your geocaching calender at work and people have fun looking at every inch of the photo looking for the tiny glimpse of an ammo can. It would be enjoyable (well as much as staring at a picture can be) PLUS it remains true to the game - kinda gives them a taste of it. If they are worthy, the owner can say "if you liked that, imagine actually being there...." or something like that.

Jeremy,

I've been thinking about the calendar idea. It certainly is a great idea to have a fund raising item for a charity. However, I wonder if the days of making money from printed calendars are nearly over. After posting my last log, it occurred to me that I have not used a hard copy calendar in years, and that this applies to all of my friends and colleagues. We all have PDAs and / or calendars on our computers. Do you think this would raise a substantial amount of money? Most geocachers are likely to be very computer literate and a large % of them may use e-calendars.

Have you considered this aspect of the plan?

What about developing a nation-wide geocaching event, possibly even another cache in trash out that raises money for charity? I do not know how you set up the last event, but you could specify some simple requirements -- i.e., submit details of what was done on the specified day or week, along with a small payment ($5 or $10, with most of the profit to charity), and the participants get an item to indicate participation on their web page, along with the opportunity to purchase a hat or shirt for this particular event, made available at a reduced rate to those who participate (again with profits from other buyers to charity).

Even if the calendar does work out -- how about something like this too?

UNESCO World Heritage foundation seems like the best choice of charity so far, because it is truely international, as opposed to the many local and American national charities. Remember, not everyone is from the USA. Since 25% of caches are outside of the USA, I think we need to include atleast 3 months of pics from other countries as well. 9 months USA, 1 Month Canada, and 2 months the rest of the world (Europe and Australia maybe). I would like to see this calendar as being truely represent geocaching world wide, as well as the charity.

I also see a lot of great pics here, but they are just scenery, and more for a nature calendar...we need more cache related stuff...Ammo Cans, Satelite, log book, etc. Have maybe 3 pics for each page...big scenery and smaller cache related pics.

And another key thing that has not been discussed...the cost! $10 US + shipping? Hopefully shipping wono't be more than a few $. Me being in Canada, I think it I $20 Canadian for the calendar including shiping is reasonable and manageable for most...anything more would be too much for a calendar.

Anyways, great idea!!!

http://ca.geocities.com/geocachingcanada

http://ca.geocities.com/rsab2100/pond.html

quote:
Originally posted by hikemeister:

... After posting my last log, it occurred to me that I have not used a hard copy calendar in years, and that this applies to all of my friends and colleagues. We all have PDAs and / or calendars on our computers.

I agree with Hikemeister... Every year, my parents make a printed calendar that has all our family pictures in it, etc. It's hanging up down in the basement. We hardly ever use it. In fact, when we do use it, we end up having to flip the pages forward 2-3 months since the last time we changed it.

What I think would be cool is a Geocaching Screen Saver. I think it's real easy to make a screen saver with some fairly cheap software. Plus, we wouldn't be restricted to only 12 pictures (12 months). I think 80% of my company has the "WebShots" screen saver on their computer cause they like the pictures. Couldn't we do this with a GeoCaching theme? Plus, it would be easy to distribute to everyone. The only downside would be the "let's make some money to donate to a good cause..." I'm not sure how this would be done, but I'm sure we could figure it out...

Thoughts???

Brad

Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now.

For the charity, I was thinking about equally between boy and girl scouts. This is were a lot of us started out camping, hiking, orienteering which eventually led us to our interest in Geocaching.

Shouldn't it be an international charity though, since geocaching is in 184 countries now? There are boy and girl scout orginazations all over the world.

I'd also like to submit photos I took at Picture Perfect Bridge in West virginia. I have a geat sunset photo, and a nice photo of a train going through the gorge. The pictures were taken July 20 2003.

Not sure how to post the photo, so if this dosn't work, can someone please tell me.

icon_frown.gif.

[This message was edited by WVDan on September 16, 2003 at 08:29 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by WVDan:

For the charity, I was thinking about equally between boy and girl scouts. This is were a lot of us started out camping, hiking, orienteering which eventually led us to our interest in Geocaching.

Shouldn't it be an international charity though, since geocaching is in 184 countries now? There are boy and girl scout orginazations all over the world.

I'd also like to submit photos I took at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=64844 in West virginia. I have a geat sunset photo, and a nice photo of a train going through the gorge. The pictures were taken July 20 2003.

Not sure how to post the photo, so if this dosn't work, can someone please tell me? The photos are posted on the cache page so they are on the web.

I bought a GPSr so the ladies would stop telling me to get lost. It didn't work icon_frown.gif.

I bought a GPSr so the ladies would stop telling me to get lost. It didn't work icon_frown.gif.

Definitely has to be international.

We'd strongly support the charity Ronald MacDonald House. My family had the misfortune to need their services last year after a tragic car accident. The House in Portland, ME provided a peaceful haven during a painful and chaotic situation. Could always find good food (no matter what the time), a smile, information, something to read/watch, quiet, or conversation. The volunteer commitment was amazing.

G

"I'm not lost. I'm field checking."

Sorry about the previous post where I quoted my self. I hit the wrong button.

For the photos, I had to reduce the size for the post, but I have unedited sizes of the pics saved on my computer, so if chosen I can send those.