Personal Log Book

I did a search and didn't see anything on this but thought I did in the past.... Anyway has anyone used the log book from the Geocahe store and if so how is it? I'm looking for a way to log my finds.

In the beginning I did nothing. After about 50 finds I started logging them on the PC in Word. Now I am finding that I don't have the time for that so I am thinking of logging while I am going but want something nicer than a plain notebook. Just curious on what or if you keep a personal log book.

I have a regular sized spiral notebook. I record the name of the cache, coordinates, who was with us, the weather, what we traded, any interesting things we saw or did and how many frames are left in the cache camera (so the cache owner knows when it might be time to replace it).

This seems to be working for me to recall so I can record the find and also as a diary. One of our finds the other day was too hot to spend the time to see the geological feature of the area. With this diary, it will be easier to know where to go in the spring to see it then.

Hamsters - buy 2 get 10 free!

Draykoh, Yorik, Senyth, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Rubeus, Minerva, Ginny, Jumper, Pounce, Lenny, Squiggy, Micro-Sprite, Midgey and our much loved Boru (RIP)

I went to my local Barnes & Noble and picked out a nice spiral bound lined journal. Any book store carries them and you usually can find one with a cover design that fits your personality. Mine's a Celtic knot.

It never does to leave a live Dragon out of the equation.

I bought one of the yellow log books to put in one of my caches but liked it so much I use it as my personal cache diary instead.

I log the name and date of the find plus anything else that comes to mind. It doesn't have a lot of room at each entry so I leave the notes brief.

It also acts a reminder of anything I traded when I get home and log into the website. It's really useful on those days when you visit several caches.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

I have been using my digital camera to record my log entries and caching adventures for a year now. It is also great to make snap-and-go pics of signs and plaques on multi-caches. This affords a double check of clues down the road if necessary. When making the tagged caches with the rest of the Moondog team, the camera has been great to record both sides of the metal tags as a future reference. Plus a quick pic of the tag location is good to have to send other cachers if they have problems.

19973_600.gifThe adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

I keep a log of all the caches I visit or plant in my Rite in the Rain. I like the notebook very much although I don't think much of the Rite in the Rain pens. They don't write smoothly.

My logbook comes in handy for all day caching when we need to remember what we left and where. Also, it serves as a sort of family journal that my son can someday use to compare to the scrapbook pages of the pictures I do from our caching adventures. I've done it from our first cache trips in May 2001 and it's neat to look back and see where we have been and how many things we've seen that we may have otherwise missed.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. E Roosevelt

What's wrong with just logging each cache on Geocaching.com, and using "my cache page" as your journal? I find that that is an excellent record of everything I want to remember about my geocaching adventures - and in a far better format than anything I could ever devise myself. Anything else is superfluous to me.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

I'm a big fan of the log books sold by the Geocaching site. In fact, I don't make a traditional cache without one. I have a Rite-in-the-rain book that I purchased while in the military that I use for my own record keeping, all of my caches, travel bugs, and finds are in there, as well as anything else about Geocaching I want to keep track of.

Once again, my two cents worth. icon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I'm a big fan of the log books sold by the Geocaching site. In fact, I don't make a traditional cache without one. I have a Rite-in-the-rain book that I purchased while in the military that I use for my own record keeping, all of my caches, travel bugs, and finds are in there, as well as anything else about Geocaching I want to keep track of.

Once again, my two cents worth. icon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

What's wrong with just logging each cache on Geocaching.com, and using "my cache page" as your journal? I find that that is an excellent record of everything I want to remember about my geocaching adventures - and in a far better format than anything I could ever devise myself. Anything else is superfluous to me.

_You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)_

I put details in my private notes that aren't appropriate for an online log. Sometimes the details are spoilers for the cache site, others they are personal tidbits that aren't of interest to anyone else.

I'm with the above. I make notes that I wouldn't want placed on the cache page as far as the placement of the cache, waypoints for multi cache etc. My problem is I didn't do one then started but found I was writing a paragraph on each cache which took time along with naming the pictures. I was/am looking for something easier. Thanks for the feedback.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Golden:

I'm with the above. I make notes that I wouldn't want placed on the cache page as far as the placement of the cache, waypoints for multi cache etc.

I take your point (and Marty Fouts') - I guess I'm just lazier than you are. Hey ! - maybe this would be an idea for an "add on" for charter members - a section for "hidden" additional notes and comments that can only be accessed by the person who posted it - then you could have everything in one place!

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

I have those pens with the neck cords. A great way to make sure the pen doesn't get seperated from the logbook is to loop the neck cord through the spiral wire. It would also work for the cache logbook too, since there was a thread about people taking pens and pencils meant for log signing as trade items. It would let people know that it is not a trade item. I have put some of these pens in all of the caches we have found so far. I buy them Wholesale but they normally sell for about $2.00 each.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hamsters - buy 2 get 10 free!

Draykoh, Yorik, Senyth, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Rubeus, Minerva, Ginny, Jumper, Pounce, Lenny, Squiggy, Micro-Sprite, Midgey and our much loved Boru (RIP)