Wash. DC monument coords.

Guest bubba232

Guest bubba232

Sorry guys/gals,

This might not be the best place, but the Northeast forum looked a little small.

I'm going to be in Washington D.C. next week and was wondering if anyone knows where/how I might be able to get coords. for the Monuments and other tourist sights. Just thought it could be fun as a "monument"

geocache hunt.

It beats walking around the streets with a (paper) map looking like a "real" tourist. icon_wink.gif

Thanks,

Steve

ps. This brings to mind if other historical sites have coords. It would be nice to list them in the tourist books.

Guest Paul Lamble

Well, I don't have the coordinates, but having just spent spring break with the family there, I can tell you that you pretty much don't need any special help to find these monuments. All you really need are good shoes.

Of course, some of the less well-known monuments might really benefit from having their lat/long published.

Regardless, sounds like a fun thing to do.

Paul Lamble

P.S. There is a really good restautant next to the sculpture garden. Beats the junk most of the museum cafeterias have. Might be a bit more pricy, but worth it in my opinion.

Guest tnunnery

I have a CSV file which contains this info for Washington DC if you want it. I can email it if you provide your address.

BTW, the Washington Monument is N38°53.369' W77°02.114'

Guest Artful Dodger

My best web site for finding literally any object/place/thing/monument etc in the USA is:

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/web_query.gnis_web_query_form

United States Geological Survey

This is really a cool.gif cool cool.gif search engine to use.

I looked up the Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall and Presto! Up came the coordinates

[This message has been edited by Artful Dodger (edited 20 June 2001).]

Guest bubba232

Thanks everyone for the responses. It's really nice to get informative feedback.

Artful, That's a great site...thanks.

Tnunnery, I'll put my email address in my profile. icon_smile.gif

Paul, I'm getting shoes this weekend, I don't think my flip-flops will make it. LOL

Do you have any suggestions/tips/tricks, I might use? Yeah, I know, use lots of sunblock. icon_biggrin.gif

Steve

ps. Anyone going to be in the area 6/27-7/2 and want to meet?

Guest makaio

Having grown up in Northern VA, I'm intimately familiar with D.C. and the Mall area where all the monuments are. Some out of the way things you might want to see...

Zero Milestone - point at which everything in the country is originally measured from (On the Elipse just south of the White House)

http://www.nps.gov/whho/Statues/zero_milestone.htm

U.S. Caiptol has a spring just beside the sidewalk on the NW side. Easy to miss.

U.S. Capitol building has it's own subway. Ask guards how to get there - it's not on the tour guide.

Albert Einstein statue (hidden in bushes) near corner of 23rd and Constition, just north of the Lincoln Memorial.

Many more but these are some of the coolest, imo.

[This message has been edited by makaio (edited 20 June 2001).]

Guest Steveonne

Hey Makaio,

Tell us more, tell us more. My wife and I will be spending a week in DC this summer too. We'd love to know some places to go that are not as well known. And what about some good places to eat?

Thanks, Steveonne

Guest jeremy

re: DC

How about the steps in the Exorcist? They're in Georgetown. There's also a statue of a giant half exposed in the ground. I believe it's called "The Awakening."

Jeremy

Guest Steveonne

Hey tnunnery,

I would like the CSV file that you offered. I would have emailed you directly, but in your profile your email says, "not available." Actually, everyones profiles email addresses say not available from my view.

Steveonne

------------------

It's what we think we know already that often prevents us from learning

Guest makaio

Yeah, what Jeremy said...

the Exorcist steps are just off of Wwisconsin Ave., just south of where Key Bridge (the one the Air Florida plane crashed into) attaches to Georgetown.

The Awakening statue is down by the waterfront near the Tidal Basin, I believe.

Here are some more (coords from the USGS site whenever possible)

Spend a few hours walking along the old C&O Canal in Georgetown (very nice area)

and if you have time, head upriver to Great Falls Park (38 59'55" N 077 15'15" W )(Maryland side is best) or even farther up, to Harper's Ferry, WV (39 19'31" N 077 44'21" W) (corner of VA/WV/MD at confluence of Potomac and Shenendoah Rivers). I was just there last week icon_smile.gif

Head south of D.C. on the Virginia side of the river on the GW (Geroge Washington) Parkway and it'll put you right at the front gate to Mount Vernon (George Washington's VA plantation). 38 42'28" N 077 05'11"W

You'll pass through Old Town Alexandria (38 48'18" N 077 02'50" W ) on the way (pretty cool).

Directly across the Potomac from Mount Vernon is Fort Washington. (38 42'39" N 077 01'46" W) Great fun to explore the old fort.

Guest bubba232

quote:
Originally posted by tnunnery:

Steveonne: The file is on the way. Hope it is useful.

bubba232: Still can't view any emails in your profile.

Hmm? Here you go...buttscratcher9000@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Guest Women) Group

ist? They're in Georgetown. There's also a statue of a giant half exposed in the ground. I believe it's called "The Awakening."

Jeremy

FYI -- The "Awakening" is as you describe and an interesting sculpture for kids of all ages. It is a bit off the normal tourist path, very close to N 38 51.484 and W 77 01.330. Vg vf ybpngrq va Rnfg Cbgbznp Cnex, ng gur pbasyhrapr bs gur Cbgbznp naq Nanpbfgvn Eviref, jvgu n terng ivrj bs nve genssvp ng Angvbany (Erntna) Nvecbeg.