Geocaching to be featured in Animal Planet/Discovery Channel Special

Air Date & Time: Check local listings

Title: Walking with Geocachers

Host: Steve Irwin (aka the Crocodile Hunter)

Summary: Steve Irwin investigates the strange hobby of geocaching. He and a film crew spent a day quietly observing a group of geocachers at a social gathering. He then witnessed an extremely rare sight, as the larger group went to observe two members who sought an elusive geocache. Rarely do members ever watch one another, and what occurred showed true insight into the mind set of geocachers, revealing evidence of how the geocachers functions as single units and as a group. Irwin uses his background in anthropology and animal study to put their behavior in proper perspective relative to other animal behavior.

Hi-lights from the show:

Geocaching is a relatively new adventure hobby created after the government opened the use of satellites to the civilian public. The concept has often been described hi-tech treasure hunts, and though this is true (players hides small caches in the woods which other players then need to locate using a GPS device to determine the exact location) but there is much more to it then that. There is complex psychology and animal behavior that occurs, and in this Animal Planet special we hope to document this to you viewers out there.

Geocaching is a largely solitary experience. Most hunts are done in isolation, though occasionally players will team up for difficult hunts. Players then report back to others how the hunt went, and others then make their own hunt attempt. I recently have been doing research on the concept, and their website provides a wealth of data but actually finding a geocachers in the wild is quite difficult. There are thousands of hidden geocaches, but unless one wants to hide in the woods for weeks on end, observing a geocachers on the hunt can prove difficult because some geocaches go unsought for months or even longer. Unlike the migratory & hunting patterns of most wild animals, you never know when or where a geocachers will go on a hunt. This required careful and precise planning on the part of the documentary team. Then we got incredibly lucky. A social event was going to be held in a nature preserve in central New Jersey. From what we could ascertain, these events not only provide for socialization, but also the opportunity to go on hunts. My film crew & I set up camp near the location and we lay in wait for our quarry.

We didn’t have to wait long. Several individuals showed up and soon began establishing a camp. Food was prepared and soon an entire herd of geocachers arrived. I was amazed at the variety of geocachers, as this was my first time seeing one in the wild. Men, women, old men, young children, big small, athletic, out of shape. There simply is no “average geocacher”.

1409857_2700.jpg

CRIKEY! Check out the bum on this one!

Communication is an integral part to the herd. The group primarily communicates via group discussions and via the information the communicate in their logs. Physical get togethers, as I said before are rare. For some, this is their first time actually meeting a fellow geocachers. Stories are told, tactics discussed, and food is shared.

1409857_1200.jpg

When all is said and done though, it is still about the hunt. Several small groups went off to hunt down nearby geocaches. We followed several of them, and were amazed at the variety of tactics employed, as well as the variance of skill level. Some players have keen sense excellent visual acuity and can spot a target from 50 yards away. While others sometime wander aimlessly in what has been called a “drunken bee dance” by one of the most prolific finders ever, Stayfloopy. When a player can not locate the elusive pray immediately, it is interesting to watch how players behave. Some carefully observer the area, watching and occasionally poking into crevices or holes or under logs, while others began savaging the area, upturning anything that looks like a potential hiding spot. I have found numerous hiding spots where there were clear trails leading to the sought after prize, a game trail of sorts. Usually though they travel “in single file to hide their numbers” said the famous geocachers Obi-Wan Kenobi.

What happened late in the day was truly extraordinary. Two individual decided to engage in a particularly difficult hunt, and the rest decided to observe. Rarely does a hunt ever get observed, and typically the observer is a non-member. For geocachers to observe one another truly revealed much about their psychological makeup. Like prairie dogs rising from their holes, they gathered on the side of a hill which provided a vantage point to watch from.

1409857_2500.jpg

1409857_900.jpg

Male & female, the old & the child alike all watched carefully, but for differing reasons. One group clearly was trying to use this hunt for their own benefit so they would more easily make their own hunt later. Others altruistically watched so they could call for assistance if it was needed. Still others watched simply for the beauty of watching a hunt in progress. It was all very very fascinating.

1409857_2600.jpg

The two individuals, Trauma & Ski emerged from the woods shortly after the observe got to the viewing area. Initially they did not know they were being observed. Their first obstacle was a deep creek. To get to their target they Had to cross it. I was reminded of water buffalo crossing in Africa during the rainy season, watching as they threw themselves over & over onto the muddy river banks till finally exhausted, they managed to emerge from the creek. Our geocachers were prepared, and brought large walking sticks, which helped them successfully cross the creek without much difficulty.

1409857_2000.jpg

I was reminded of water buffalo crossing in Africa during the rainy season, watching as they threw themselves over & over onto the muddy river banks till finally exhausted, they managed to emerge from the creek.

1409857_2400.jpg

Trauma immediately ran into trouble, getting stuck in thigh deep mud and reeds. Ski pursued onwards. By now several more brave individuals had pushed forward to become part of the experience, they ventured towards the hunting grounds.

1409857_2100.jpg

Here you can see them from our hidden camera in the reeds.

1409857_1400.jpg

Unfortunately when we pushed forward for a better shot, we were nearly discovered. CRIKEY! We had to back off considerably.

1409857_2200.jpg

Look at those hip waders & backpack. Ain’t they a beauty?

Before we left we saw another unusual behavior. Apparently the bold attempts by trauma & Ski encouraged 3 more to make the hunt. Unfortunately though, they didn’t get far. After about 50 feet one of them got stuck in mud and the beta a hasty retreat.

1409857_2300.jpg

It is clear from our brief encounter that though geocaching is most often a solo activity, it is clearly all about the community. They learn from one another, are inspired by one another and often engage in spirited debates over tactics, the importance of good sportsmanship, and the best hunting grounds. Some do it for the challenge, others as a secondary pursuit to something else, some as an excuse to get exercise, but most do it simply for fun. Clearly they are an extraordinary species, worthy of further examination!

I’ve decided to try & get some more first hand information on geocaching, so I’ve turned myself into a

travel bug Be sure to follow my adventures

alt.gif

[This message was edited by Gwho on May 18, 2003 at 11:03 AM.]

a friend of mine said they saw a special on geocaching on Discovery in January this year. wish I saw it.

LoL, if Steve Irwin hosted it, that would crack me up!

"This 'ere Geocacher is one of eh rahr-est and most beaut-ih-ful creatures. Unlike the typical homosapian, they seem to have an extra appendage, called a GPSr."