Geocaching and the media

W8TVI

When I had a TV crew follow my family on a cache hunt back in January, I made sure I chose one I had previously visited. I even went back to the cache the evening before the filming just to make sure the cache was still there, and there were no "surprises" inside. My wife and kids hadn't found it, and I let my 5-year-old daughter take the lead, so the element of surprise was still there for everyone but me.

Even if they had requested to do one I hadn't done before, I STILL would have found it ahead of time, just to make sure things would go as well as possible.

25021_1200.gif

I know David April well - and he was embarrassed by his mistake - but in his defense:

Back in the olden days when the reporter went out with David, the Geocaching.com cache pages left off trailing zeros. Dutch Clog has coordinates of N 42° 02.540 W 088° 12.329, but the cache page displayed as N 42° 2.54. If I remember David's explanation right, he input it as N 42° 02.054, which is a good 0.56 miles from the actual cache site.

Hence his picture on his site:

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I know David April well - and he was embarrassed by his mistake - but in his defense:

Back in the olden days when the reporter went out with David, the Geocaching.com cache pages left off trailing zeros. Dutch Clog has coordinates of N 42° 02.540 W 088° 12.329, but the cache page displayed as N 42° 2.54. If I remember David's explanation right, he input it as N 42° 02.054, which is a good 0.56 miles from the actual cache site.

Hence his picture on his site:

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I recall a recent article in the Chicago Tribune where Markwell went out with a reporter and got skunked on the first cache they went looking for. The reporter wrote about Markwell laying down on a bridge and getting all dirty, the end result was a "no-find". I'll have to go back into the Yahoo groups to re-read the article, but I believe he explained the miss as a plundered cache. I don't believe the article mentioned which cache this was. The next cache search was more fruitful and the second cache was mentioned by name. All in all it was a good article, however they did misspell Markwell's name one time as Markfield. I've had a couple of opportunities with the media, but I'd rather pass on the notoriety, especially when there is the potential of embarassment. icon_smile.gif

I recall a recent article in the Chicago Tribune where Markwell went out with a reporter and got skunked on the first cache they went looking for. The reporter wrote about Markwell laying down on a bridge and getting all dirty, the end result was a "no-find". I'll have to go back into the Yahoo groups to re-read the article, but I believe he explained the miss as a plundered cache. I don't believe the article mentioned which cache this was. The next cache search was more fruitful and the second cache was mentioned by name. All in all it was a good article, however they did misspell Markwell's name one time as Markfield. I've had a couple of opportunities with the media, but I'd rather pass on the notoriety, especially when there is the potential of embarassment. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

Even if they had requested to do one I hadn't done before, I STILL would have found it ahead of time, just to make sure things would go as well as possible.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/25021_1200.gif

I would have to be just as prudent when it comes to a TV crew. Many more than just one per diem paid reporter to tag along. A 'guaranteed find' is a good thing.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I went with a german film crew for a cache here close to home and the producer of the segment ended up finding it before I did. The camera guy was looking a little panicked that he had to lug all the equipment up the side of a mountain and might not get to film the payoff. But, when I am 'finding' it on camera, you can't tell that I wasn't finding it for the first time. icon_wink.gif

stealyourcache.gif Serious cachers needed! www.theheavenlyhost.com/geocache

I went with a german film crew for a cache here close to home and the producer of the segment ended up finding it before I did. The camera guy was looking a little panicked that he had to lug all the equipment up the side of a mountain and might not get to film the payoff. But, when I am 'finding' it on camera, you can't tell that I wasn't finding it for the first time. icon_wink.gif

stealyourcache.gif Serious cachers needed! www.theheavenlyhost.com/geocache

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

I recall a recent article in the Chicago Tribune where Markwell went out with a reporter...

The cache that skunked us was Col. Bogey’s Cache, and there was a confirmation that it was gone. The day after the article was published, I went back out to reclaim finding the cache.

As far as Markfield - I give the editor a little credit for this one at having missed Markwell from Plainfield - Markfield. In a newspaper that has millions of words daily in print, I won't begrudge a minor substitution.

Since the Trib archives their online articles, the full article can be read on my page and going to the link for the Chicago Tribune article.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I'm glad I didn't read this story before our local newspaper, the Modesto Bee, followed us on a cache hunt! But I prepared. I contacted one of the best cachers in our area and asked him if he wanted to be part of the story also.

He hid a 'special' cache just for the event. That way if we REALLY had trouble he'd be there. He came up with a VERY clever cache (don't want to give anything away) that amused the reporter as well as us. It took us about 10-15 minutes to find it after about a 3/4 mile trek on some nice trails. Just about perfect for a story!

My boys are very excited about the story, which is supposed to come out on October 6, 2002, if what I understand is correct. It should be on their website then at www.modbee.com.

It was really fun and we can't wait to get to read the story!

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

The cache that skunked us was Col. Bogey’s Cache

Ah, I should have known to go look at your website, you have a nice hyperlink there for the first cache. I was wondering which one it was. I also like the picture of the GPS, is that the model you are now using, and was that picture included in the article?