Geocaching and snow

Guest Ethan

i was totally thinking the same thing and considering posting it in the "cold weather considerations" topic. but then i thought, well, if there were footprints leading from some high traffic area/trail to some random tree somewhere or something, and there was a big disturbance in the snow there, who would actually 1.think to dig in that spot and 2.even bother digging through the snow

on the otherhand, if the footprints lead to a big bucket out in the open, that might be more of a problem. but if its a small cache now buried in the snow i dont think it would matter too much....

andy

Guest leaper64

i recently found a stash in utah called clover spring in the snow. my son and i discussed the possibility of someone else following our tracks right to it. so we carefully re-hid the stash and incospicously covered the stash location with snow. there were tracks all over the general area that were left as we searched for the stash. we re-hid it well.....i'm confident that it was be safe from plundering until the next fresh snowfall. as an added measure, while i was signing the logbook, my son decided to hike an additional 20-30 yards up the hillside to lead any would-be plunderer on a wild goose chase (you know how energetic 11 yr olds can be).

I was thinking of doing the same thing the other day for a different reason. You beat me to it. LOL

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

Each Winter, we can expect two to three inches of snow at some point (*usually in January or early February), and it may stay on the ground as long as 4 days. Do you thing this will cause any difficulty in finding caches?

I'm thinking that it may actually make caching easier since all the "sane" people will be at home with their 2 gallons of milk and 4 loaves of bread that they rushed out to buy when they heard that there was a 20% chance of snow.

That, coupled with the fact that the whole region shuts down at the hint of snow, should keep traffic to a minimum and allow the cachers free range.

- If the cat had kittens in the oven, we wouldn't call 'em biscuits. -

quote:
Originally posted by bitbrain:

Each Winter, we can expect two to three inches of snow at some point (*usually in January or early February), and it may stay on the ground as long as 4 days. Do you thing this will cause any difficulty in finding caches?

I'm thinking that it may actually make caching easier since all the "sane" people will be at home with their 2 gallons of milk and 4 loaves of bread that they rushed out to buy when they heard that there was a 20% chance of snow.

That, coupled with the fact that the whole region shuts down at the hint of snow, should keep traffic to a minimum and allow the cachers free range.

- If the cat had kittens in the oven, we wouldn't call 'em biscuits. -

Actually we never know what ot expect in New England. No snow one year, 17 snowstorms the next. As Mark Twain once said, "If you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute" or something to the affect. But not having cached through a winter yet, I don't know what to expect to find. I was thinking about it today and thinking "stone walls are a good place to hide things in winter"

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

We just placed a multi step and so far one step has been found due to our tracks in the snow. More that one cache out here is inaccessable during the winter, our Don't Pass Me By cache already has a foot of snow on it and just wait until winter hits. We are looking forward to reading the logs of fellow cachers in Montana who plan on snowshoeing to get Moveable Feast and some of the other mountain caches. On the other hand, 3 miles in the snow is just silly when you can do it in the mud in the spring!