Where to get the plastic ammo cans?

Hi, all -- I've been seeing more and more of the plastic ammo cans as cache containers. While not as sturdy as a traditional ammo can, they've gotta be easier to come by. Where are these folks getting them?

I've only got two ammo cans, and one of those is the auto's toolbox. I'm not giving it up! I would like to get a few of the screw-top containers -- looks like they might've contained pretzels, or something? I've seen it called a rubbermaid jub, as well as other things. Had one for this cache:

Cache in the Brook

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I was talking about the "normal shape" ones. What are the "mortar tubes?" Hmm... you've got me curious. I'm always looking for a good container idea!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
While not as sturdy as a traditional ammo can, they've gotta be easier to come by. Where are these folks getting them?

Actually no, the traditional ammo boxes are very easy to find. Just go to any flea market, army surplus store or check www.cheaperthandirt.com.

You can find the metal ammo boxes nearly everywhere. The plastic ones are much harder to come by, more expensive and not as versatile.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Originally posted by jtice:

Are the metal ammo boxes you guys buy, say, from cheaperthandirt,, in good condition? Are they always water tight?

Ive never gotten any cans from cheaperthandirt, but my experience is that they will only fail if A. theres a holes all the way threw the steel or b. the rubber gasket is missing/damaged/otherwise not setted right.

Of the couple dozen Ive looked over only two would not have be watertight. The one had a pin hole in the bottom(in the center of a dent), it had been dropped on something, I guess? icon_confused.gif

The other Had the corner of the gasket sort of roll up on itself, so when the can was snapped down, air/water/whatever could still pass in and out threw the corner (where the gasket should have been).

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Are the metal ammo boxes you guys buy, say, from cheaperthandirt,, in good condition? Are they always water tight?

I've yet to get a bad one out of over 70 ammo boxes purchased. All have been in good to excellent condition. Out of all my finds, I've yet to see an ammo box that failed either.

The worst thing I've encountered in the boxes I've purchased was a little rust and/or moisture inside the box(probably from condensation). A quick wipe with a paper towel, a touch of sandpaper and squirt of Rustoleum and the box was fine.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

Here in town there is a store called Big R that usually has ammo boxes for sale. The last time I was in there they were $4.95 for the 50cal size. A little more expensive than cheaperthandirt, but no shipping charges.

I've also seen many at flea markets and of course the army surplus type stores.

Oh yea criminal, I'm willing to bet no matter how many "official Geocache" stickers you put on THAT baby (the explosive B ) we'll see that on the 6'0'clock news !

Betcha Jeremy's already into his 2nd bottle of antacid pills. icon_eek.gif

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

might as well go for the gusto, make sure ya wear a turban while you hide it.

You know, a bridge over a river would save you the trip "downtown". They'd probably just shoot you from the air.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

Mortar tubes make for interesting cache containers. Amazing what a little camo tape will do - being a cylinder they mimic trees very nicely! Might also be able to make them look like a stump or tree limb. icon_biggrin.gif

Usual Suspects - Terrapin & Bug

"Sure don't know what I'm goin' for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure!"

Animated_MiGO_A88.gif

I picked up some 30 cal cans at a gun show for $1.50 each. Inside & outside were perfect. For some reason the tops & some of the sides had been brush painted orange but just a little camo spray paint made them look great. I shoulda' bought every one he had.

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Chaoss:

Oh yea criminal, I'm willing to bet no matter how many "official Geocache" stickers you put on THAT baby (the explosive B ) we'll see that on the 6'0'clock news !

Betcha Jeremy's already into his 2nd bottle of antacid pills. icon_eek.gif

quote:
might as well go for the gusto, make sure ya wear a turban while you hide it.

You know, a bridge over a river would save you the trip "downtown". They'd probably just shoot you from the air.

Worry without the proper information is a tremendous waste of time. To put you at ease, I scrape the entire sticker off and paint a camouflage pattern on the can. I have two of these among my hides. So, if I place them without apprehension, why is there some in you?

Turban? Strikes me as a bit racist. I’ve done a considerable amount of travel to the Middle East and they are people just like you and me. There are whackos all over the world. BTW, None of the 9-11 terrorists were wearing a turban.

If Jeremy wants them, he’s about a twenty-minute drive away and he knows where they are.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

i've only seen one plastic ammo can, and it ws leaky. i have never seen a leaking metal ammo can, although i assume some must leak.

i've noticed that they're hard to open on cold mornings- the air inside contracts slightly and forms a partial vacuum.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.