First Aid add in.

I would like to think that most people involved in this sport carry a small first aid kit. I am new to it(Hoping to make my first find in a little under 36 hrs) but have been outdoors most of my life so I have the regular stuff in a kit but one thing that is great to add in is Super Glue. This stuff is like instant stitches, once you get the wound cleaned and the bleeding stopped just put a small line of the stuff across the cut and it should be good enough to get you to medical care if needed.

The reason I posted this is right now I have a two to three stitch cut on my finger that is being held with Super Glue. I don't know of anything bad happening to anyone from doing this but I ain't no doctor, so if any one is a doc and thinks this is a bad idea please speak up. I've been doing it for years and I think I am still pretty normal.

That's all, Crazy Archer.

After being attacked by an angry street sign while innocently strolling down the street, the doctor at the emergency room asured me that the surgical form was, in fact, super glue. The only difference is the hospital form costs $75 a vial.

The only caution with self treatment is to make absolutely sure you have completely cleaned out the wound.

Huh... I wouldn't be too sure it's the EXACT same thing...

When I cut myself pretty good about a year and a half back (at home, so can't claim a 'battle scar' from outdoor activity icon_frown.gif ) I went to the emergency room to get it taken care of. The Dr. used the liquid bandage stuff on me, to my recollection he said it was 'similar to' superglue. From superglue experience in the past, it tends to become very hard once dry on the skin. The stuff used on me was a bit more flexible.

Unless it was crazyglue/something else I had used, and superglue actually is a bit more flexible, then I'm just typing up BS without knowing what it was I'm talking about... icon_wink.gif

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

Huh... I wouldn't be too sure it's the EXACT same thing...

When I cut myself pretty good about a year and a half back (at home, so can't claim a 'battle scar' from outdoor activity icon_frown.gif ) I went to the emergency room to get it taken care of. The Dr. used the liquid bandage stuff on me, to my recollection he said it was 'similar to' superglue. From superglue experience in the past, it tends to become very hard once dry on the skin. The stuff used on me was a bit more flexible.

Unless it was crazyglue/something else I had used, and superglue actually is a bit more flexible, then I'm just typing up BS without knowing what it was I'm talking about... icon_wink.gif

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

Yep, my dad does alot of wood carving and lives by himself about 20 miles from an emergency room, he has used superglue for years and hasn't had any problems.

I carry a 3-day backpacking kit in my Camelback along with a whistle, small flashlight, rain poncho, spare batteries, and TP. Oh, and a compass. icon_biggrin.gif I also keep another poncho, jacket and blanket in the back of my jeep, I'd rather carry stuff I'll never need than be stuck without.

Have and be safe,

Tim

Csquared - Tim & Karen

Yep, my dad does alot of wood carving and lives by himself about 20 miles from an emergency room, he has used superglue for years and hasn't had any problems.

I carry a 3-day backpacking kit in my Camelback along with a whistle, small flashlight, rain poncho, spare batteries, and TP. Oh, and a compass. icon_biggrin.gif I also keep another poncho, jacket and blanket in the back of my jeep, I'd rather carry stuff I'll never need than be stuck without.

Have and be safe,

Tim

Csquared - Tim & Karen

Cyanoacrylate was invented in the 40s, rediscovered (by the same guy) in the 50s, and initially marketed in '58 by Kodak, according to http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bladhesives.htm

I couldn't find a reference, but I vaguely recall that it was first used to replace stutures to close wounds by medics in Vietnam in the late '60s

Bruce Sterling has a great article about Superglue online at http://www.eff.org//Publications/Bruce_Sterling/FSF_columns/fsf.07

We used super glue routinely for such purposes when I was on a scientific expedition in Antarctica, although I was never sure whether it would have been recommended in more civilized circumstances. It is most interesting to learn that doctors here think it is ok to use.

Alchemist2000

[This message was edited by alchemist2000 on August 09, 2002 at 11:28 AM.]

hmm... does anyone know if they add something to make it more flexible (equavalent to the feeling you get when you coat your fingers with several layers of elmer's glue)? Or maybe it is just that way when you apply ALOT instead of just splashing a bit on yourself accidentally?

I am not impressed with most commercial first aid kits. Any wound that can be fixed with a bandaid is not the type of wound I am worried about. I would add a compress bandage, such as the military uses. These are hard to find, but if someone is impaled on broken branch or has arterial bleeding, bandaids are a joke and those little gauze pads aren't much better. One more thing is surgical gloves, right where you see them first in the fist aid kit. There are too many blood borne pathogens floating around nowadays.

SuperGlues can easily be dissolved or cleaned up with the application of a little Acetone. (Can be found at most hardware and home building & repair centers in the paint department.) This can be good to know if you should happen to bond your fingers together while making a SuperGlue repair! Always be sure to test it first, in an inconspicuous spot, on those articles you wish to use it on as Acetone, like many other solvents, can dissolve, make brittle, or discolor some plastics and rubber.

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

My doctor actually told me that the NEXT time I slice my leg open crossing a barbed-wire fence on the way to a geocache, I should use Super-Glue to hold the wound together until I can get to the hospital. He said I'd have a smaller scar...

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/25021_1200.gif

I cut myself last evening on a tin can - nice clean cut - 3/4 of an inch long and deep enough that I thought that it might need a stitch or two - then I remembered this thread! The super glue worked perfectly - no sting - and not a sign of any infection - the the cut is hardly even visible now. Thanks for the tip.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

Come on guys... Super glue is for girls. I cut a 4 inch gash on my calf one day while hiking on some slate. One miss step and that stuff cut me as clean as a scalpel. I got the bleeding slowed then got out my Fishing line and needle (keep threaded in the first aid kit) and started sewing. I wont be entering any quilt making contest soon but it did the job three weeks later I took them out. No problem and fingers never got glued together. icon_eek.gif

www.ManuelCasillas.com

quote:
Originally posted by manuelcasi:

Come on guys... Super glue is for girls. I cut a 4 inch gash on my calf one day while hiking on some slate. One miss step and that stuff cut me as clean as a scalpel. I got the bleeding slowed then got out my Fishing line and needle (keep threaded in the first aid kit) and started sewing. I wont be entering any quilt making contest soon but it did the job three weeks later I took them out. No problem and fingers never got glued together. icon_eek.gif

http://www.ManuelCasillas.com

OW!!!! I dropped a sheet of broken glass into my toe, I freaked, blood everywhere. My friend luckily used to drive an ambulance and he's nuts enough that he drove me to the hospital passing cars in the shoulder, and got me there so I could get 28 stitches. I was bleeding so bad I almost went into shock. No way could I have stitched my self up, unless maybe I was in the wilderness and then self preservation probably would have kicked in.

So what pound test did you use?

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

quote:
Super glue was originally developed for that back in WW II. The medic's would use it to close wounds. I don't know why it didn't take off in the civilian world.

it may take me a while, but i will find the reference to the origin and why it did not take. super glue can be dissolved by our own body fluids. saliva will dissolve it quite readily. this was the reason i had found that stopped its medical usage.

for the treatment of blisters on feet in the army we used to use a syringe to remove fluid, and inject a small amount of benzoine tincture (owwwwwwwwwww!) and the seal small pucture with super glue. this would eliminate the blister and clean and seal the wound.

quite radical, but necessary when force marching 30-50 miles.

"what good are you if you don't get there in working order?"

super glue saved me a few times.

robbie

wings_flag.gif

"Nuclear war would really set back cable.

--Ted Turner "

An early EMS partner of mine used superglue all the time for cuts on himself. Never had a problem that I knew of.

quote:
if someone is impaled on broken branch or has arterial bleeding, bandaids are a joke and those little gauze pads aren't much better.

The most important thing with arterial bleeding is to get it stopped not what you put on it. Anything that is relatively clean can work as a bandage. If something is impaled in someone, it is generally best to secure it in place and get them help A.S.A.P. Of course there are exceptions depending on just how far from help you are and if the object might interfere with the airway. Under most circumstances though, an impaled object is best removed under very controlled conditions, i.e. an emergency room. Fortunately, these types of injuries are very rare.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.