Longest your cache has sat between visits?

Ramness

Just wondering what the longest your cache has sat between visits. I have one out in AL, been there for almost a year and has had a grand total of 9 visits, has currently sat for 57days. Some of my older ones go 2-3 months between visits as most cachers in the area have already found them but every now and then a newbie will go out and hunt them.

One of my favorite caches that I found and added to my watch list has not been found yet this YEAR. Last find was December 2nd 2001! Don’t really understand why though, only been found 12 times and everyone who found it seems to enjoy it by their logs. It’s a 12 stage Multi with a 4-mile walk at the end.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5757

My current longest without a find (and my record) is 105 days. I have another that's 55 days without a find. Both have received great reviews from the people who have found them and the caches are well stocked, with quality items.

The second one is a 3 stage multi, invloving a 3 mile hike, but the first one is in a park that has several other caches, which are found fairly regularly. And the walk is barely a two mile round trip from my suggested parking spot (and a lot shorter for those who pull out a map). I can see why the first one doesn't get many finds, but I really can't explain the 2nd.

Generally speaking though, the harder a cache is to get to, the fewer people will attempt it. I have a walk-up micro, a few hundred feet from a main road in a popular suburban park. This gets hit regularly. Most of my other caches involve a hike of 1-3 miles and once the local hardcore Geocachers have found them they usually go a month or two between finds.

A lot of Geocachers go out to bag caches in bunches. They target an area and try to get as many caches as they can in a day. Because of this they are unwilling to spend a long time on a single cache. This explains why that 12 stage multi, with a 4 mile hike is found so infrequently.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Kelle

One of mine called The View sat for 7 months between visits. I have two others that are virgine now for over 2 months. It's normal. A year ago there weren't many caches to be found. Now there are tons so the more difficult ones will take forever between visits. I have one called Postcards which is a 2.5 mile hike in and it's only been hit once. 96 days ago.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Someone just logged a "couldn't find," so I'll go check up on it.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

A lot of Geocachers go out to bag caches in bunches. They target an area and try to get as many caches as they can in a day. Because of this they are unwilling to spend a long time on a single cache. This explains why that 12 stage multi, with a 4 mile hike is found so infrequently.

Yes, that's true; people often try to collect "pockets" of caches in a day. Personally, I like the long, scenic hikes, but I would be hesitant to undertake a "12 stage" multicache, regardless of distance involved. It seems excessive to me.

With that many elements (assuming they were actual containers/markers and not virtual elements), the increased chance that an element has gone missing makes such a cache undesirable to me. It would be really frustrating to spend the better part of a day looking for cache elements only to get to stop #11 and discover it's missing.

i guess i'm just really impatient --- i've been bummed because one of mine has been sitting for 36 days -- while two other caches (in the same park) have been found in the last week. ....could it be the last 200' stetch covered with 4' high thistle that's stopping them????? icon_biggrin.gif

i guess i'm just really impatient --- i've been bummed because one of mine has been sitting for 36 days -- while two other caches (in the same park) have been found in the last week. ....could it be the last 200' stetch covered with 4' high thistle that's stopping them????? icon_biggrin.gif

We try to make our caches as bewildering as possible. Of our current caches:

i!1: Nest has lasted 9 months without a find. (This thread prompted us to check the cache: it's fine.)

i!2: Duck lasted 7 months then was logged on consecutive days!

i!5: Achilles (recently reloaded) has lasted 8 months

i!6: Quay (recently reloaded) went 6 months without a find until someone waded into the river during winter to find it! (Yes, it's underwater)

Ideology Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Ideology:

The longer the better!

I realized after my first one that I had made it too easy. I'm going to leave it, some people like easy ones, but my next few are much harder. There are a couple that I will be surprised to have found. On all, I have decided that I will try to be patient and unless there is a pressing reason to remove them, they will stay until found.

BTW, even my *easy* one has gone a month between finds. Geocaching is just now catching on in this area and the locals have already found it.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

quote:
Originally posted by Ramness570:

Just wondering what the longest your cache has sat between visits. I have one out in AL, been there for almost a year and has had a grand total of 9 visits, has currently sat for 57days. Some of my older ones go 2-3 months between visits as most cachers in the area have already found them but every now and then a newbie will go out and hunt them.

One of my favorite caches that I found and added to my watch list has not been found yet this YEAR. Last find was December 2nd 2001! Don’t really understand why though, only been found 12 times and everyone who found it seems to enjoy it by their logs. It’s a 12 stage Multi with a 4-mile walk at the end.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5757

I live in a very tame Midwestern state, but I like to hice my caches in places that require a nice, long hike. Many of my caches go un-sought for weeks and weeks. Three have not been found in 99, 84, and 50 days. That's no record, but these don't exactly require mountain climbing, either. I think if you hide a cache more than 0.5 miles from the parking spot, most folks will skip it. Pity!

Funny thing is, when folks do seek my caches, they usually make encouraging comments about the hike and the cache! Makes it worth while.

Keep on hiding cool caches,

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

I placed a cache a year ago on a mountain at 12,185 feet elevation. It is basically unreachable for half the year, as it would be completely buried under several feet of snow. Add to that the fact that it is near Moab, Utah, which is one of the most remote corners of the United States, and that it is a 4 mile hike up broken rock to get to the cache site.

The only reason anyone visited it was that it was the final stage of a multicache game that sent players all over Utah. The prize was a new GPS unit. Once the winner visited the cache, no one else was willing to settle for second place. The cache has now sat dormant for 362 days, and I have begun to consider retrieving it. Several have mentioned to me that they have plans to visit, but as yet, just the one.

The way I see it, is there is a place for these kind of caches. Even if no one ever visits them, what is the harm? I pretty much always use ammo boxes for my caches, so they will be there for years and years to come, unless someone or something walks off with them. The longer they sit, the more interesting it will be when a cacher does get there, because they will look in the cache and know that no one has been there in X number of months/years. I have always enjoyed the caches that are never visited, because they are almost always the hardest to get to, and are often the most memorable. And the trip, and the memory, is what caching is really all about.

bunkerdave

6327_1600.gif

I think we live in a society of "immediate gratification" -- that accounts for a lot of it. But my story (read my profile) is that I couldn't physically handle anything above about a 2* terrain when I started this sport. icon_frown.gif

Luckily, I'm so addicted that I began pushing myself to longer hikes; I'm working out every morning at 5:30 icon_eek.gif with my hubby and our geocaching bud Trey, just in order to be able to do more caches! My endurance is much better, I can do longer and longer hikes over rougher terrain (I'm up to where I can handle most 3*s and many 3-1/2*s), and my heart rate isn't maxing out on me like it used to. icon_razz.gif

Yesterday, we did two caches that involved about 2-1/2 miles of hiking with a fairly long and steep uphill in the middle. It was past sundown and we still had nearly 3/4 mile to get back to the car, and we hotfooted it out so we wouldn't get in trouble with Barney. If I'd done that in March, you wouldn't be able to get me out of my easy chair today (or tomorrow for that matter). Instead, we have 4 more caches planned for this evening as soon as it starts to cool down. icon_biggrin.gif

I guess what I'm saying is, there's something in this sport for everyone, whether they are new mommies pushing strollers, old ladies with canes, 300-pound underachivers like myself, or tri-athletes and mountain-climbers. If you put a cache where you find your joy, sometime (maybe not today or tomorrow) a kindred spirit will find his joy at the same coordinates. Don't worry about how long it takes or how few find it. icon_wink.gif

Now if I could just figure out what to do with that appetite I get from those longer hikes ... icon_biggrin.gif

Candy (moosiegirl)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

I think we live in a society of "immediate gratification" -- that accounts for a lot of it. But my story (read my profile) is that I couldn't physically handle anything above about a 2* terrain when I started this sport. icon_frown.gif

Luckily, I'm so addicted that I began pushing myself to longer hikes; I'm working out every morning at 5:30 icon_eek.gif with my hubby and our geocaching bud Trey, just in order to be able to do more caches! My endurance is much better, I can do longer and longer hikes over rougher terrain (I'm up to where I can handle most 3*s and many 3-1/2*s), and my heart rate isn't maxing out on me like it used to. icon_razz.gif

Yesterday, we did two caches that involved about 2-1/2 miles of hiking with a fairly long and steep uphill in the middle. It was past sundown and we still had nearly 3/4 mile to get back to the car, and we hotfooted it out so we wouldn't get in trouble with Barney. If I'd done that in March, you wouldn't be able to get me out of my easy chair today (or tomorrow for that matter). Instead, we have 4 more caches planned for this evening as soon as it starts to cool down. icon_biggrin.gif

I guess what I'm saying is, there's something in this sport for everyone, whether they are new mommies pushing strollers, old ladies with canes, 300-pound underachivers like myself, or tri-athletes and mountain-climbers. If you put a cache where you find your joy, sometime (maybe not today or tomorrow) a kindred spirit will find his joy at the same coordinates. Don't worry about how long it takes or how few find it. icon_wink.gif

Now if I could just figure out what to do with that appetite I get from those longer hikes ... icon_biggrin.gif

Candy (moosiegirl)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

In my area, Berryessa or Bust has not been visited for 13 months. It generally requires a boat. I have hunted up that arm of trout creek a couple of years ago, but the lake was way down. I don't think it is going to be down enough to walk into the cache this year.

Why is it called tourist season if you can't shoot them?

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

My caches that haven't been found in a while are 114, 92, 91 & 90 days. There is one that was found 16 months ago and another that has never been found that was placed 2 years ago on 7/21/01.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo