Help need with a new small cache container.

Carve out a channel and put a bead of silicon caulk in it? I dunno..sounds like a tall order. You might be better off with a waterproof container within the box.

Very cool box, though...wish I could do stuff like that. icon_smile.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

This brings back memories...sad as they are. Looks like the same box I sent off my traveling cache and travel bug Gilbert 13515_400.jpg

I sent the box off mostly plain and Gilbert only in early stages of carving with the request for the geocaching community to add what they could. Shortly before he disappeared he had a nice logo on his boxtop and he'd grown all sorts of vitals. But my point is..the box is not waterproof.. I would not trust it... I picked up a waterproof surplus bag for 3.00082670.jpg

...well actually I got 3 of them for 10... siliconed a geocaching label to the outside and it did the trick. It might take away from the treasure chest impression..but it protects and adds a different component to the whole thing... I still have two bags left if your interested let me know.

Cool container. I think some of the ideas here may help make it water resistant, but I don't see how you can make it waterproof (in a ammo box sort of way). Find small Ziplocs to hold the log book and contents and place it where its sheltered from the elements. That should do the trick.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by ScurvyDog:

Hi there, what if you made a groov around the top and bottom and put in an o ring. If the two o rings hit each other it should be pretty water tight. Like someone said, basswood has lots of holes in it. Is box sealed both inside and out? How does this sound to you all?

O.K...now where do I find the "O" rings? The box is sealed inside and out with a stain sealer and 3 coats of polyurenthene or how ever you spell it.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

I would say that if you put all of the contents in ziploc baggies they will be okay... I went on a day it was raining to a cache in a gladware container, and the contents were still dry... So just ziploc everything and try not to place the chest anywhere that it looks like water will puddle.

You should be able to find replacement window weatherstripping at any home/hardware store. You can get 1/2" x 1/16" or 1/8" adhesive backed foam rubber that should compress down and make it pretty weather-tight.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

I like the idea of running a groove in the lid with a dremel and filling it with silicone rtv and letting it sit open until it dries, and that will be your custom 'O' ring.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

Thanks once again for all the suggestions. I like the idea of using the Dremel tool to create a groove and then fill it with silicone. The only problem is the back hinges...there is no way of grooving around them. I'm about convinved that there is no way of waterproofing the inside.

I have had several inquiries on selling these. For what you would get and the cost of shipping I'm not sure they are worth it. It might be better if I taught you how to make one and just stick with selling Geo-hiking Staffs.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

Too late now, but for reference to anyone else who wants to make something similar:

I had an idea (it didn't even hurt)...

You could start with a waterproof container (like tupperware) and then build the box to house the sealed container inside it. Sort of like a shipping crate for the waterproof container.

Hukt un fonix werkt fur mee

I wonder if you could put vaseline on one part (like the lid) of the chest, and then run a bead of silicone along the other side. Maybe unscrew the hinge, and don't push the parts all the way together while the silicone is curing so that it will be a bit thick and get squeezed under pressure when you close the lid after it has fully cured.

Maybe some automtive weatherstipping would be useful?

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

Thanks once again for all the suggestions. I like the idea of using the Dremel tool to create a groove and then fill it with silicone. The only problem is the back hinges...there is no way of grooving around them.

I assume this is because the hinges are mortised into the top edge of the box and the bottom edge of the lid? One way to waterproof around them might be to glue a small block on the inside of the rim adjacent to the hinge, and groove that. It'll make for a little less room in the box, of course. In the future, consider using strap hinges, or butt hinges in a strap-hinge-like configuration (i.e. screwed to the outside of the box.) It won't look as "finished," but it'll be easier to seal.

pirate.cgi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mark 42:

You could start with a waterproof container (like tupperware

Did anyone else laugh at that?

Not your suggestion because its a good one but the idea of tupperware being waterproof is funny to me. No offense. icon_biggrin.gif

El Diablo, buy some different hinges that mount on the out side of the box.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

You could start with a waterproof container (like tupperware) and then build the box to house the sealed container inside it. Sort of like a shipping crate for the waterproof container.

I've thought about doing this very thing. I have leftover scrap lumber after rebuilding my fence, and thought that might be kinda cool. Just hadn't gotten to it yet.

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

quote:
Originally posted by SLCDave:

I was about to suggest the exact same thing. Go to an outdoors store or scuba store and find what's called an "otter box." You *might* find one to fit your chest as is, but your best bet is to build a new chest around the otter box. Good luck!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I was just thinkin about suggesting a box that's made of 1/4" thick plate & welded shut all around...

But it did give me an idea to weld a treasure chest of some 3/8" plate steel I have laying around (no, I'll put a hinged lid on it!)