Knowingly placing a cache in dangerous area?

I recently hunted a newly-placed multi cache where the cache page readily admits that there is a lot of broken glass in the area of the second stage. They weren't kidding! When I got there, my dog and I nearly sliced our feet open on the hundreds of half-buried broken beer bottles all through the woods there. There were also smashed bottles and jagged chunks of glass all over the trail leading to this stage of the cache.

This was a pretty big park, with many, many other areas which were not as heavily used and therefore not trashed with broken bottles. What puzzles me is why any cache hider would knowingly put a cache in such a dangerous area. It's one thing to hide a cache, then return at a later date to find trash and/or broken glass, but to hide one in an area where the broken glass was obviously there first just seems to show some lack of concern for the safety of one's fellow geocachers, not to mention their dogs and kids.

I do plan to email the cacher and suggest she move the second stage but in the meantime I am curious if this is a common problem in the sport.

When I place a cache - I leave it in that location for a reason. If someone suggested that I move it, I might be a little irritated... but that is just me.

As for placing it in a dangerous area - if the description is clear about the danger, then it is the hunter who has to decide if it is worth the 'risk' to find the cache.

Having a cache placed somewhere near broken glass doesn't seem any different than if someone placed a cache on the side of a steep cliff - as long as it is described well, and the dangers are made known, then I don't have a problem with it.

Rubbertoe - Webcam - Image Archives

--== http://www.bigfoot.com/~rbatina ==--

If the cache page specifically said there was lots of broken glass around and that bothered you, why not just skip that one?? I don't hunt caches that say they are near poison oak...and I surely couldn't justify getting upset if I did venture out to one such cache and then exposed myself to the poison oak!

Do you cache without shoes?? I was just wondering how you could have sliced your feet on the broken glass..unless you were barefoot icon_confused.gif

As for your dog cutting his/her feet, seems as if common sense would have led the way here. When the human saw the glass, he/she could have then stopped and had the dog stop as well, thus not exposing the dog to potential injury..right??

I have been to many, many caches that have potential "dangers" lurking nearby, be that danger broken glass, hypodermic needles, poison oak, wild animals, etc. Just be cautious and aware of your surroundings..and don't visit caches if they sound a bit dangerous to you!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

If the cache page specifically said there was lots of broken glass around and that bothered you, why not just skip that one?? I don't hunt caches that say they are near poison oak...and I surely couldn't justify getting upset if I did venture out to one such cache and then exposed myself to the poison oak!

Do you cache without shoes?? I was just wondering how you could have sliced your feet on the broken glass..unless you were barefoot icon_confused.gif

As for your dog cutting his/her feet, seems as if common sense would have led the way here. When the human saw the glass, he/she could have then stopped and had the dog stop as well, thus not exposing the dog to potential injury..right??

I have been to many, many caches that have potential "dangers" lurking nearby, be that danger broken glass, hypodermic needles, poison oak, wild animals, etc. Just be cautious and aware of your surroundings..and don't visit caches if they sound a bit dangerous to you!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Broken glass can cause severe and sometimes permanent and crippling injury, especially to a dog or child who doesn't know enough to watch where they are stepping. A childhood friend of mine severed tendons and arteries in his foot at the beach when we were kids, he had stepped on a broken bottle buried in the sand. It was horrible. I also know of several dogs who have gotten severe paw injuries from stepping on broken bottles.

I just fail to understand why someone would choose to hide a cache in an area full of broken glass when there are thousands of other locations in the same park that are safe. And Rubbertoe, I respectfully disagree that it's like caching near a cliff. The cliff is a natural feature of the landscape which is not likely to be overlooked. Broken bottles in the woods are sometimes covered in dead leaves and are often not seen until after you hear or feel the crunch of the sharp glass underfoot.

Again, my point is WHY place a cache around broken glass when you have lots of other safer loations?

Since the 2nd stage was clearly listed as having lots of broken glass, I think these would be better questions to ask.

1. Why did you go into the area without proper foot protection and a walking stick for yourself?

2. Why would you knowingly take your dog into an area that had lots of broken glass?

"Broken glass can cause severe and sometimes permanent and crippling injury"

So can falling off a cliff or into a river. Its a well noted risk. I want to know why you subjected yourself and your dog to this when you knew beforehand it was there.

Why not carry a strong pair of gloves, and a bag or 2 and help the area out a bit.

"Broken glass can cause severe and sometimes permanent and crippling injury, especially to a dog or child who doesn't know enough to watch where they are stepping."

**True enough..but common sense on the part of the dog owner or parent can usually prevent those types of "crippling" injuries. You admitted that you read the cache page before venturing out. Seems maybe you should have left the dog at home or in a safer spot!

I have yet to see a park area that does not have broken glass, and I have yet to sustain any significant injury on broken glass. We also see rusted nails, barbed wire, and all kinds of other goodies while out caching.

The image I am conjuring up in my head is one of this cache being buried beneath mounds of broken glass. Did you have to reach into glass to retrieve the cache? THAT would be unsafe..and also a pretty lame move for both the cache placer and the retriever. Were there not any alternate routes to get to the cache that didn't have glass?

"Again, my point is WHY place a cache around broken glass when you have lots of other safer loations? "

**My point is WHY hunt the cache if you felt you were in a dangerous area???? icon_rolleyes.gif

"Broken glass can cause severe and sometimes permanent and crippling injury, especially to a dog or child who doesn't know enough to watch where they are stepping."

**True enough..but common sense on the part of the dog owner or parent can usually prevent those types of "crippling" injuries. You admitted that you read the cache page before venturing out. Seems maybe you should have left the dog at home or in a safer spot!

I have yet to see a park area that does not have broken glass, and I have yet to sustain any significant injury on broken glass. We also see rusted nails, barbed wire, and all kinds of other goodies while out caching.

The image I am conjuring up in my head is one of this cache being buried beneath mounds of broken glass. Did you have to reach into glass to retrieve the cache? THAT would be unsafe..and also a pretty lame move for both the cache placer and the retriever. Were there not any alternate routes to get to the cache that didn't have glass?

"Again, my point is WHY place a cache around broken glass when you have lots of other safer loations? "

**My point is WHY hunt the cache if you felt you were in a dangerous area???? icon_rolleyes.gif

A childhood friend of mine severed tendons and arteries in his foot at the beach when we were kids, he had stepped on a broken bottle buried in the sand

He had no warning, as in all accidents. The cache notes clearly warn you of the danger. There is nothing to complain about.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

quote:
Again, my point is WHY place a cache around broken glass when you have lots of other safer loations?

My point would be... Why go to a place with broken glass when you have lots of other safer locations? It was your option to visit this cache. Perhaps this cache is a good canidate for cache in trash out.

Thanks!

This area has some of the most beautiful parks you've ever seen. I have a series of parks called "Neglected parks 1, 2, 3 and 4. They are far from the best parks in the area. Why did I choose them for cache sites? To draw attention to them. Nothing more. Perhaps this was the placers motivation. Did you "Trash out"? Many of the folks who hit my caches have. And you know what? It shows..........

boo2.jpg

Ahhhh......the moist nose of a German Wirehaired Pointer!

littlefrog, don't take these attacks personally, I think the others are missing your point. In my experience, most caches are not in dangerous locations. Of course, in any cache hunt, you must be cautious for unforseen dangers. I hope no children or dogs were hurt from your buried discoveries. Only the cache owner could answer your question. Perhaps the owner didn't consider children or pets when placing the cache. I'd be curious to hear the answer the cache owner gives you, if any.

Happy Hunting!

BG

BGSkierNC@yahoo.com

Forget the PC rubbish. From what I read, the cache owner gave fair warning about the broken glass. You went there knowing the conditions,yet you chose to bring your dog and you wore inadequate footwear.

The cache owner is not at fault here. I note that the other three parties who found the cache did not mention any concern about the glass.

quote:
Originally posted by littlefrog:

... I am curious if this is a common problem in the sport.

That people ignore important information contained in the cache descriptions? Apparently so.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on July 22, 2002 at 02:56 PM.]

I understand what Littlefrog is asking, it does seem to me that with all the GeoCachers with kids and dogs, that you would want to avoid hiding in places with obstacles like this. I would try to find another spot close by to hide my cache.

But the description seems to fit the cache pretty well and you have to decide whether or not to try for it. Personally, i would have gone to look for this one thinking that there was some exposed glass on the ground. When i arrived and found that the ground was coverd with glass and more dangerous than i initially thought, i might have changed my plans to continue on. Hate to criticize but i dont think i would have continued on with my dog...

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

it does seem to me that with all the GeoCachers with kids and dogs, that you would want to avoid hiding in places with obstacles like this. I would try to find another spot close by to hide my cache....

Hmmmm...so now before we place a cache, we should take into consideration cachers with kids or dogs?????? How about the cachers who are looking for the cache take responsibility for their own kids/dogs? icon_rolleyes.gif

If I place a cache that I think might present a danger to small children, I always note that on the cache page. My responsibility stops there. If someone sees a potential threat to the safety of their child or animal, or even themselves, why on earth would they not STOP and reconsider what they are doing???

This whole topic seems reallyyyyyyy ridiculous. The person chose to hide their cache in this spot...the page clearly states there is broken glass nearby, as well as some other outdoor meanies...and then someone made the CONSCIOUS DECISION to take themselves and their animals to this site. What is the point??? The question of whether or not the cache should have been hidden in this spot is a mute point.

As for this type of thing happening often in this sport, I can tell ya right now that there are LOTS more dangerous things floating around near some caches...beware! icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

it does seem to me that with all the GeoCachers with kids and dogs, that you would want to avoid hiding in places with obstacles like this. I would try to find another spot close by to hide my cache....

Hmmmm...so now before we place a cache, we should take into consideration cachers with kids or dogs?????? How about the cachers who are looking for the cache take responsibility for their own kids/dogs? icon_rolleyes.gif

If I place a cache that I think might present a danger to small children, I always note that on the cache page. My responsibility stops there. If someone sees a potential threat to the safety of their child or animal, or even themselves, why on earth would they not STOP and reconsider what they are doing???

This whole topic seems reallyyyyyyy ridiculous. The person chose to hide their cache in this spot...the page clearly states there is broken glass nearby, as well as some other outdoor meanies...and then someone made the CONSCIOUS DECISION to take themselves and their animals to this site. What is the point??? The question of whether or not the cache should have been hidden in this spot is a mute point.

As for this type of thing happening often in this sport, I can tell ya right now that there are LOTS more dangerous things floating around near some caches...beware! icon_wink.gif

Seems to me that this is another case of "I NEED SOMETHING TO WHINE ABOUT) syndrome. It is clearly stated in the cache description about the area and the problem. Maybe this cacher is hoping with all the great people that cache in trash out, that maybe some of the broken glass will dissapear with help from geocachers who carry garbage bags. Litter control can be accomplished many differant ways. Maybe by having traffic in and out of the area, this will keep the party crew from invading. So many reasons, not enough time. If it isnt your thing, dont ruin it by trying to make it your thing! Find the one that suits your desire.

quote:
Originally posted by seeker bp (Team E-Trex):

Seems to me that this is another case of "I NEED SOMETHING TO WHINE ABOUT) syndrome.

Ditto!

This is the second complaint about this cache from the same user. The earlier complaint was that the hider listed a cell phone number as the hint.

Hey, since you already had the cell number, couldn't you have called the hider and whined about the glass too? icon_wink.gif

quote:

Seems to me that this is another case of "I NEED SOMETHING TO WHINE ABOUT) syndrome.

Ditto!

This is the second complaint about this cache from the same user. The earlier complaint was that the hider listed a cell phone number as the hint.

Hey, since you already had the cell number, couldn't you have called the hider and whined about the glass too? icon_wink.gif

On this one I have to disagree with the majority of the posters. If I had planned to hide a cache in an area that there is so much broken glass that I would have to warn people I would have found another location. Yes they did warn people about this, but if you have to do this than there is a problem.

A little common sense on the part of the cache placer is needed in this case. Broken glass is such quantity that it is a risk may not be the ideal location to place a cache. Especially if there are other locations in this park that could have been used. I have trashed out several times, but handling broken glass is where I would draw the line.

The person who posted this is not, in my opion complaining. They are merely new to the sport and have some legitemate questions.

Sorry but I have no sympathy here. They said there was broken glass. I've cut myself on it hauling out of a cache area. This of course is the solution. Take a bucket of it out with you. The world will be that much safer for the next cacher.

For you to complain about what you were warned about just is not right. The glass was a known danger.

I just found this cache,

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=26377

Would you take your children or pets with you on this one? If the placer properly documents the cache then there is really only one person to hold accountable.

icon_eek.gif

When I said I found it I meant I found it. No falling no foul.

[This message was edited by Team 5-oh! on July 23, 2002 at 08:35 PM.]

I just found this cache,

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=26377

Would you take your children or pets with you on this one? If the placer properly documents the cache then there is really only one person to hold accountable.

icon_eek.gif

When I said I found it I meant I found it. No falling no foul.

[This message was edited by Team 5-oh! on July 23, 2002 at 08:35 PM.]

I can see both sides of this discussion. It might not have been the best place to put a cache, but at the same time you were warned.

I also saw a post about trash out.......did you?

One other point...I'm willing to bet that the placer didn't see as much glass as you did, since they weren't beating the brush looking.

Like I said...I see both sides. The simple solution will be that the next several cachers clean up the area. If there is a spot that needs cleaning....would this be a good place to put a cache??

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

A three star rating is not suitable for children, according to the rating system. If you wouldn't take your children, you may want to think about not bringing your pet as well. I think it's cruel to bring a dog into an area filled with glass, especially when you had prior knowledge.

quote:
Posted by LuvOzzy

Hmmmm...so now before we place a cache, we should take into consideration cachers with kids or dogs?????? How about the cachers who are looking for the cache take responsibility for their own kids/dogs?

You'll get no arguement from me about each of us taking resposibility for our actions. Thats a big part of the worlds problems now days. Everyone wants to find somone else to blame for their screwups and misfortune.

I was just thinking that if the park is that big why not place the 2nd part in a more favorable area. Im not saying make it easier or anything like that. Its just that the area in question doesnt sound scenic or challenging. From the information at hand i would just think it would have been more fun for all if it had been placed away from the glass. I wouldnt hide a cache in an area like this but thats me.

To sum it up: The cache owner can design his/her cache the way they seem fit and after reading the cache description, it is up the cache finder to decide on and take responsibility for his actions.

quote:

What puzzles me is why any cache hider would knowingly put a cache in such a dangerous area.

You appear to me to be asking "why?" more than wanting to assign blame (as others have accused on this thread). The answer is fairly obvious: some cachers want to purposefully put their cache into a dangerous area as a gesture of goodwill to other cachers so that they can have an element of risk in their geocaching adventure - in this case the risk planned for you by the hider, was the risk of you and your pets getting badly cut up by glass. What a great guy eh? (kind of like hiding the cache in a pit of venomous snakes). Most consider giving you the opportunity of embarking on this risk, is alright provided you are forwarned. The hider can comfortably feel fully absolved of any blame, because he warned you. I know it sounds like a joke, but unfortunately you discovered that "They weren't kidding!" It seems a bit sadistic, but it certainly makes for good reading in the cache logs.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

quote:

What puzzles me is why any cache hider would knowingly put a cache in such a dangerous area.

You appear to me to be asking "why?" more than wanting to assign blame (as others have accused on this thread).
Nice to finally see someone who can read for comprehension.

Yep, that was my only point. Not to bash the cache owner. Rubbertoe did that by snooping around until he found the cache in question and posting it. As I have said before, the cacher whose hide is being discussed is a generous, enthusiastic, and appreciated supporter of the sport in our area. My intention was never to criticize any specific geocacher, only to open a discussion about common sense in hiding caches.

If you're going to hide a cache, think about the people who are going to hunt it. Many geocachers have kids and/or dogs who love to tag along. If you live in the inner city and all parts of the park you choose for your hide are full of trash and broken bottles, then maybe you don't have much choice, you just make do the best you can. But if you have a choice of a trashy, broken-glass filled area versus a nice clean safe spot, use common sense. Young people and often even the family dog are often excitedly exploring the area along with the adult geocachers. They'll all appreciate your care and thoughtfulness in choosing an area that is safe as well as fun.

quote:

Maybe this cacher is hoping with all the great people that cache in trash out, that maybe some of the broken glass will dissapear with help from geocachers who carry garbage bags. Litter control can be accomplished many differant ways. Maybe by having traffic in and out of the area, this will keep the party crew from invading. So many reasons, not enough time. .

and no matter what the reason you have to take what is said seriously. we humans seem to have this flaw of not believing people when they warn us about something like this and then saying "why?" when something happens. i know the pain of a foot injury. my father used to bury fish heads in the garden when i was a kid and the dog would dig them up, well, once i stepped on one, a catfish, and it went in maybe an inch to an inch and a half, (no permenant damage but that kinda stuff still makes me cringe) so there i am with this fish head hanging off of my foot, and they have to cut me open more to pull it out because of the barbs. but i digress, the point is you cant go to a chache that warns, "there are wild animals in the area, carry protective gear" be that pepperspay, a gun whatever (if you want to argue this point there is already a thread for it), and then complain if you get bit by something. though i dont think the glass qualifies as anything more than an annoyance, i would appreciate some level of danger in a cache (ie the cliff idea) but if thats not your thing, dont try it and then complain when you get injured. and i think there is another point you are missing, for whatever reason the person chose that spot. they did not spread the glass or put up any other hazards, they warned you about what happened to be there. so be a part of the solution, clean up some glass. as far as you and your dog almost getting cut up... forget not wearing shoes, was the glass invisible?? kind of reminds me of an accident i was in once when i was rear ended while waiting to make a left turn. there were plenty of excuses " i didnt see a brake light" etc. (which would be the posters warning) but the bottom line is, if something in front of you isnt moving you stop or go around... (if you see glass on the ground... this is sooo hard to do..... dont step on it...) i mean geeze,,, despite what you may or may not have meant you make it sound like the guy put it in the middle of a minefield and sent you in blindfolded. and for further reference, posting a cache in a forum is far from bashing it.. its more like advertising...

quote:
Originally posted by vash the stampede:

and no matter what the reason you have to take what is said seriously. we humans seem to have this flaw of not believing people when they warn us about something like this and then saying "why?" when something happens. i know the pain of a foot injury. my father used to bury fish heads in the garden when i was a kid and the dog would dig them up, well, once i stepped on one, a catfish, and it went in maybe an inch to an inch and a half, (no permenant damage but that kinda stuff still makes me cringe) so there i am with this fish head hanging off of my foot, and they have to cut me open more to pull it out because of the barbs. but i digress, the point is you cant go to a chache that warns, "there are wild animals in the area, carry protective gear" be that pepperspay, a gun whatever (if you want to argue this point there is already a thread for it), and then complain if you get bit by something. though i dont think the glass qualifies as anything more than an annoyance, i would appreciate some level of danger in a cache (ie the cliff idea) but if thats not your thing, dont try it and then complain when you get injured. and i think there is another point you are missing, for whatever reason the person chose that spot. they did not spread the glass or put up any other hazards, they warned you about what happened to be there. so be a part of the solution, clean up some glass. as far as you and your dog almost getting cut up... forget not wearing shoes, was the glass invisible?? kind of reminds me of an accident i was in once when i was rear ended while waiting to make a left turn. there were plenty of excuses " i didnt see a brake light" etc. (which would be the posters warning) but the bottom line is, if something in front of you isnt moving you stop or go around... (if you see glass on the ground... this is sooo hard to do..... dont step on it...) i mean geeze,,, despite what you may or may not have meant you make it sound like the guy put it in the middle of a minefield and sent you in blindfolded. and for further reference, posting a cache in a forum is far from bashing it.. its more like advertising...

Have you ever thought about contacting the Guinness Book of World Records? You obviously have an incredible talent for constructing the longest run-on sentences ever seen on this forum. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by vash the stampede:

Have you ever thought about contacting the Guinness Book of World Records? You obviously have an incredible talent for constructing the longest run-on sentences ever seen on this forum. icon_biggrin.gif

I going to place a cache withen a week that has broken glass at the entrance,but I will note it,as will I the need for boots and bug spray.The place I found has a view that will use up alot of a cache's film.I have kids and a black lab so I see your point,but if you steer clear of a place you may miss out on some beautiful places.I teach my kids how important it is not to litter.As for my dog I use common since and look out for the both of us.

Forgive me, I got a little bored and skipped some of the posts in the middle...

As long as a danger is noted on the cache page, I see no problem. After reading of the danger, I would likely search for this cache, but I would leave Darby the wonder pup home.

Also, it sounds like a good trash-out opportunity.

In regards to glass near caches, I have some experience with that, since I work in stained glass. I've cut a lot of glass, and picked up lots of glass shards! icon_wink.gif

The best way to avoid getting cut when picking up glass is to keep your fingers arched. Make an O with your hand. This is the configuration you want when picking up the glass. Then pick up the pieces carefully, and as gently as is practical. This will minimize your cuts.

Another good way to pick up glass, especially on the ground, is to use a small shovel. If you can get a child's plastic beach shovel, that's good. A double-walled paper bag, or a box, is best for storing the glass on the way to the trash. Glass cuts plastic and fabric quite readily.

If you do get cut, make the cut bleed and apply antiseptic right away. Putting on bandaids will help stop the blood, but the cuts will heal faster the more air they get.

Oh, and be careful about dropping the glass. Glass has a tendency to have invisible lines of stress in it. Even a small drop can cause it to shatter quite spectacularly, especially if it's been subject to changes in temperature. Look away when dumping the glass in the trash!

If you opt to use gloves, use leather, not fabric.

Sorry for being longwinded, but I want you to be able to trash out glass safely. I don't want anyone getting hurt.

Shannah

In regards to glass near caches, I have some experience with that, since I work in stained glass. I've cut a lot of glass, and picked up lots of glass shards! icon_wink.gif

The best way to avoid getting cut when picking up glass is to keep your fingers arched. Make an O with your hand. This is the configuration you want when picking up the glass. Then pick up the pieces carefully, and as gently as is practical. This will minimize your cuts.

Another good way to pick up glass, especially on the ground, is to use a small shovel. If you can get a child's plastic beach shovel, that's good. A double-walled paper bag, or a box, is best for storing the glass on the way to the trash. Glass cuts plastic and fabric quite readily.

If you do get cut, make the cut bleed and apply antiseptic right away. Putting on bandaids will help stop the blood, but the cuts will heal faster the more air they get.

Oh, and be careful about dropping the glass. Glass has a tendency to have invisible lines of stress in it. Even a small drop can cause it to shatter quite spectacularly, especially if it's been subject to changes in temperature. Look away when dumping the glass in the trash!

If you opt to use gloves, use leather, not fabric.

Sorry for being longwinded, but I want you to be able to trash out glass safely. I don't want anyone getting hurt.

Shannah

The danger of the area is something to consider. And sometimes just warning about it isn't enough. While I think the glass warning is wise, I also think that cache is OK, and the warning is the responsibility of the cache seeker to heed. BUT.....

I have a place here in El Paso just perfect for a cache. It is near the top of Mount Cristo Rey. (Christ the King) It has a wonderful trail up to the top, and a spectacular view of West and Central El Paso, Juarez Mexico, and the Rio Grande. The largest Christ and Cross statue in N. America are at the top, and there are several pilgrimages yearly for religeous or other reasons. The trails are so good, some have made the climb while praying and on their knees. Some of the finest fossiles in the area can be found on the slopes of the mountain, these are museum quality! But I will never put a cache there, and will advise anyone else to also avoid it. Here is why.

The lowest southern slopes of the mountain are in Mexico. Even though it is patrolled and protected by the U.S. Border Patrol, there have still been serious incidents. Robery to the lucky ones, beatings or worse to the unlucky ones. Not to inflame the gun debate again, but this is a place to avoid if you can, and to go well armed if you must go. The sponsoring churches have armed volunteer parisheners on guard for the pilgrimages. I would like to see the "USE STICKS - NO GUNS" advocates make this hike against the banditos.

For the obvious reason, I will not place a cache there, even though it would be a really GREAT location. While I am completely willing to take responsibility for my own safety, part of being licensed to carry a handgun is avoiding trouble where possible. And then, there will always be the anti-gun-nut that would dare to try the hike anyway. And I will especially not be responsible for their lack of taking responsibility for their own safety. (did that make any sense?)

I do not think a cache in the middle of a Federal Prison exercise yard would be a good idea either.

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, Texas.

I hid a cache where there is the potential to get bitten by a snake.

I guess I should move it from the woods to the city.

Crap. It's in an ammobox. It'll get blown up by the bomb squad.

I'll put it in tupperware. Dang it. Tupperware is too expensive, so I'll use Rubbermaid. Woah. That stuff leaks in the morning dew.

So I guess I'll use an Altoids can and hide it on a mail drop box. Oops! That's federal property. I'll put it on a newspaper stand. That's private property. Maybe under a park bench... That's public.

Stupid thing just got peed on by a dog.

I quit geocaching.

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!