Can Geocaching become a job?

rjt

Well I doubt if looking for caches has any commercial value that someone may be willing to pay you for, but there is an extremely small possibilty that the USGS might grant you a small contract or give you some temporary employment to find and record benchmarks........good luck. Virtual caches may have value to someone with more money than smarts.

If you figure out how to spend your days geocaching for a living please let me know.

1) GEO Supplies Online: You could sell geocaching supplies on eBay. Refurbished and repainted ammo cans, backpacks, waterbottles, GPS equipment. There's always someone waiting to bid on whatever you offer on eBay. Many people make a living at it.

2) GEO Wear Online: You could also make your own geocaching-logo or artwork and sell items with this artwork on cafepress.com. The good part about this is that once you design the artwork, cafepress.com does all the work and you get to go out caching while the money rolls in.

3)GEO by Proxy: You could put an ad in the paper and offer a "geocaching by proxy" service for executives and other workaholics who would like to have a work/life balance but can't pry themselves out of their office long enough to pursue a hobby. You find the caches and log the finds for them using their ID; they read all about their vicarious adventures on geocaching.com.

I'm sure there are other possibilities...

Market the final coordinates to multicaches in your area at $10 a pop.

The idea would work just as well for solutions to cache puzzles, parking coordinates and can't-miss hints for those really hard caches.

You'll be rich in mere weeks.

Incidentally, have I mentioned that I keep a complete and extremely detailed database of all the caches I've visited? icon_wink.gif

Cache Maintenance.

Charge a small fee to lazy geocachers who don't want to maintain thier caches properly and you can go around restocking, repainting, drying out, replacing log books, cameras and so on.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

Sure, why not. By collecting all the ammo cans, replacing them with Glad Ware then re-selling them to geocaches you meet on the trail you could probably make enough to keep a moped in gas or at least your mountain bike lubed and yourself fed as long as you keep it cheap.

==============================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

Market the final coordinates to multicaches in your area at $10 a pop.

The idea would work just as well for solutions to cache puzzles, parking coordinates and can't-miss hints for those really hard caches.

You'll be rich in mere weeks.

Incidentally, have I mentioned that I keep a complete and extremely detailed database of all the caches I've visited? icon_wink.gif

There's already a Yahoo! Group devoted to free posting of spoilers, final multicache coordinates and so forth. It ain't doin' so well (which is a good thing). Better stick to your day job. Err, night job. Ummm, the blowing in the reed job.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

I did, theoretically get paid to go geocaching one day. I work for the provincial gov't and the provincial Parks folks wanted to know more about geocaching so they could form some guidlines on caching in Provincial Parks. A Parks staff member knew I was a geocacher so they asked me to take them out to a local cache. We took about an hour one afternoon to go out and find "Up the Ash (tree)". There were four of us on "official gov't business". They were much more comfortable with geocaching once they had been on an actual hunt, and it was much more enjoyable than sitting in front of my computer all day!

-Donna G

If it became a job, would it still be fun?

Then I would have to get another hobby, maybe at WallyWorld, saying "Welcome to WalMart". icon_rolleyes.gif

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win, and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

quote:
Originally posted by DonnaG:

I did, theoretically get paid to go geocaching one day. I work for the provincial gov't and the provincial Parks folks wanted to know more about geocaching so they could form some guidlines on caching in Provincial Parks. A Parks staff member knew I was a geocacher so they asked me to take them out to a local cache. We took about an hour one afternoon to go out and find "Up the Ash (tree)". There were four of us on "official gov't business". They were much more comfortable with geocaching once they had been on an actual hunt, and it was much more enjoyable than sitting in front of my computer all day!

-Donna G

I could see a Fish and Wildlife tech getting to bag a couple of caches on their surveys if near some caches. When I was such a tech ten years ago, my job was to creel for anglers in the Priest Rapids/Hanford Reach section of the Columbia River. One day a week, I'd be assigned to a very remote boat launch called Parking Lot 7 at end of a gravel road that heads up north from Ringold Fish Hatchery.

Anyway, one day I brought my fishing pole and egg clusters to try for the salmon. Didn't get any salmon,but I caught 25 channel catfish...catcyh and release. Smallest was 3 lbs and the largest about 8 lbs. Great way to keep one busy. Boats didn't show up til last two hours of shift. My boss didn't mind at all. As long it didn't effect my work that was fine with him.

quote:
If it became a job, would it still be fun?

Then I would have to get another hobby, maybe at WallyWorld, saying "Welcome to WalMart".

I just want my job also to be my fun.

If my job is hunting, I won't hate job anymore.

What kind of the job is will affect its fun or not.

Life short, Hunt more.

I got a couple weeks work with a local surveyor looking for 1895 corner posts. He had to resurvey them in for a new mine lease. As a added bonus, I also learned how to run transverse lines as well. Sure was neat to find the old posts if we were lucky, or the witness posts. Original survey listed 8" fir, Now 35" tree hardly anything showing , we cut into it and sure enough there's the roman numerals cut over 100 years ago...Wow...Got me interested in learning how to be a differential GPS operator...Now wouldn't that be a nice GPS to cache with..........R

Without your brain, a map is a piece of coloured paper, a compass is a glorified magnet, and a GPS is a waterproof battery case." " FSAR "

quote:
Originally posted by MercRocks:

Original survey listed 8" fir, Now 35" tree hardly anything showing , we cut into it and sure enough there's the roman numerals cut over 100 years ago...Wow

Wow is right! You would think that after 100 years that tree would have grown more than 2.25'

icon_smile.gif You must mean diameter or circumference of the trunk. Can you describe how you cut into it?