How do you feel about this cache?

Jamie Z

Here is a local cache that has just been placed.

Satellite Picture

Salvo's Reserve Cache -001

From the cache, the railroad tracks are about (an eyeballed) 50 feet. The tracks are clearly visible from the cache, and the hiding spot for the cache is clearly visible from the tracks.

The cache is also located very close to a park (the big field you see to the east of the cache).

To get to the cache from the park, one would have to wade through a drainage ditch (you can see it in the photo). I came in from the west, where there is now a church-owned (I believe) softball field in the clearing to the west of the cache. A person could also walk along the tracks for a short distance from the road to the north.

I posted in my found-it note that I would be posting the cache to the forums for discussion. What do you all think?

Jamie

From geocaching.com ...

"Off-limit (Physical) Caches:

Caches will be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches hidden by active railroad tracks"

'Nuff said ... Just kidding, I hate when people say that. icon_razz.gif

You saw a train pass? Are you sure that they're active tracks?

From geocaching.com ...

"Off-limit (Physical) Caches:

Caches will be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

Caches hidden by active railroad tracks"

'Nuff said ... Just kidding, I hate when people say that. icon_razz.gif

You saw a train pass? Are you sure that they're active tracks?

I wouldn't expect to find a tree on the railroad right of way. If there is one "legal" way to get to the cache without trespassing on private property, then I have no problem with the cache.

There is no need for the cache owner to stipulate how/where to find the "legal" way; that's often part of the adventure ... but it would be wise to add a disclaimer to the cache description stating that the cache can be reached without trespassing on private property and that cachers should not trespass on private property.

quote:
Why do you care? Others didn't seem to have a problem with the cache.

Since when is Geocaching a game for people who like to get "rulings" on the validity of a cache?

It's supposed to be fun, not a debate.

Apparently you missed this thread about this cache.

It's supposed to be fun, but it's also supposed to be legal. Illegal caches hurt all geocachers, not just the individual involved.

Is it a safety issue?

Is it a private property issue?

or is it a security issue?

I thought that it was only a safety issue but maybe I'm wrong. I have a cache in a public park. Very close by (maybe 50 - 75 feet) on the other side of a chain link fence is an elevated active railway track. I thought my cache was alright because there is no private property or safety issue. But in view of 9/11 maybe there could be a security issue? But if the concern is a security issue then there would be a million places where we couldn't hide caches? Maybe the guideline needs a bit of clarification. What does anyone else think?

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

Good catch JamieZ. I would appreciate it if another Geocacher warned me so I would not have to face the problems that Hillwilly and Di faced with their cache. It is always better to be safe than sorry (or face jail, probation, fine, loss of license, etc.).

It states in the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines:

Off-limit (Physical) Caches

We're assuming that you asked permission to post your cache. However, if we see any listing description mentioning ignoring "No Trespassing" signs (or any other obvious issues), your listing will be automatically archived.

Caches on National Park Service maintained lands

Caches that are buried - If a shovel/trowel/pointy object is used to dig - in order to hide or find a cache - it's not appropriate.

Caches hidden by active railroad tracks

Caches near or in military installations

Caches under public structures deemed targets for terrorist attacks

There are always exceptions. If your cache fits within these areas, please explain in the description (or hints) of the cache. For example, if you are given permission to place a cache on private property, indicate it in the description.

It looks like this one slipped through. Just for the heck of it I sent the cacher an email suggesting that he move the cache and disable it temporarily. Hopefully something good will happen and it can stay near to where it is now.

I support the Georgia Geocachers Association, or the GGA!

Thanks fella's for emailing this guy. I don't want to seem like I'm the whistleblower in the area. If the owner sees that I'm not the only one that is concerned, I won't stand out.

I'm just trying to follow the rules. I don't want geocaching to get a bad name.

Jamie

He has retrieved the cache and will place it again this weekend it sounds like.

I think it is important to save him some grief too. The thread and cache page regarding Hillwilly and Di was some story to follow. It would be a bummer to see that happen again when a couple of friendly emails could help to avoid it. Again, cheers to JamieZ and worldtraveller.

Hmmmmm... new location... maybe a new find for you early cache finders!!!! BONUS! icon_biggrin.gif

He has retrieved the cache and will place it again this weekend it sounds like.

I think it is important to save him some grief too. The thread and cache page regarding Hillwilly and Di was some story to follow. It would be a bummer to see that happen again when a couple of friendly emails could help to avoid it. Again, cheers to JamieZ and worldtraveller.

Hmmmmm... new location... maybe a new find for you early cache finders!!!! BONUS! icon_biggrin.gif

The guy who placed the cache is having trouble getting a message in the forums and asked me to pass this message along:

quote:
I'd like to express my sincere appreciation for pointing out a potential problem with the site location for "Salvo's Reserve". Wilst it is questionable (There's a restaurant just up the track within 50' of it), the point is that we (especially 'I') don't want to draw any bad press for such a wonderful and family fun activity. Discretion is called for, and the cache has been pulled from the original location.

I've read the link to the case out west, and to show my appreciation, and to promote a bit of fun, I will be slipping in a 10 Troy ounce Pure SILVER BAR into "Salvo's Reserve" when it's redeployed. ( Afterall, This originally was meant to be a Y2K themed cache )

First finder will strike SILVER!! Note, I plan to update the page with the new coordinates and details on Sunday 6/16 in the morning. Subsequent finders shouldn't be unhappy though as this cache is indeed STOCKED with a variety of goodies. ( You never know WHEN they'll drop the

BIG ONE) Have FUN!

Fantastic gesture, and good luck local cachers. Get your boots ready! On your mark... get set...

Finally! I made it in to the forums, I'll have to see what's wrong with my system at home. icon_wink.gif

Anyways, thanks mtn-man for passing this along to everyone for me. I'd been watching the activity on the cache sites out here in Memphis, and felt that it was time to spike the game a little to liven things up and to have some fun. icon_smile.gif

The Silver Bar has already been purchased this morning, and I will be hiding it sometime either this evening or saturday. icon_biggrin.gif

In looking for some of the caches already, I have run across a couple of really choice hiding spots. I concur with Bit Brain though in that the cache sites don't have to be hidden by poison ivy. icon_wink.gif

Finally! I made it in to the forums, I'll have to see what's wrong with my system at home. icon_wink.gif

Anyways, thanks mtn-man for passing this along to everyone for me. I'd been watching the activity on the cache sites out here in Memphis, and felt that it was time to spike the game a little to liven things up and to have some fun. icon_smile.gif

The Silver Bar has already been purchased this morning, and I will be hiding it sometime either this evening or saturday. icon_biggrin.gif

In looking for some of the caches already, I have run across a couple of really choice hiding spots. I concur with Bit Brain though in that the cache sites don't have to be hidden by poison ivy. icon_wink.gif

For any non-chemistry minded folks, that's Hi-O-Silver! icon_cool.gif

I'm looking forward to searching for Salvo's (redeployed) Reserve Sunday afternoon. Wonder who's going to get there first?

JamieZ: There are plenty of female joggers near Bitbrain's First , but they're hard-core, man. We're talking the <1% body fat folks... I think you'll like the location of the next one I'm planning. icon_wink.gif

For any non-chemistry minded folks, that's Hi-O-Silver! icon_cool.gif

I'm looking forward to searching for Salvo's (redeployed) Reserve Sunday afternoon. Wonder who's going to get there first?

JamieZ: There are plenty of female joggers near Bitbrain's First , but they're hard-core, man. We're talking the <1% body fat folks... I think you'll like the location of the next one I'm planning. icon_wink.gif