What the heck is this?

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

I know! I know! We call those 'hämähäkki' around here.

I coughed today and it sounded just like that!! icon_razz.gif

I know whatcha talking about, my sneezes usually sound like 'washington'.tongue.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

quote:

I know! I know! We call those 'hämähäkki' around here.

I coughed today and it sounded just like that!! icon_razz.gif

I know whatcha talking about, my sneezes usually sound like 'washington'.tongue.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

Well that certainly explains the recent rains! icon_wink.gif

Cheers!

TL

Yeppers, it's FOR SURE a radio active f'tang spider. One look from any of it's 27 eyes and you are sterile and yer knees start to water. They eat PBJ sandwiches and small dogs. It's their inability to make sandwiches and the lack of people willing to help a spider make a sandwich that makes them not too often seen around any more. If you can somehow get close to it and get it to pay attention to you, (and if it is not too hungry at the time) and then say the magic words, "Wang-tang-tattie-bang" it is said that they will spit a gold dubloon at ya. Why not go outside right now and try that. Let us all know how it works. (alternate pastimes include nailing jello to the window)

Well, that's about all I know about spiders, hope it helps!

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

[This message was edited by Bug and Snake on September 16, 2003 at 03:21 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by The Frantic Cachers:

Consider this....the front door to the side walk is about 20 ft long. Within this distance we came across 6 of these large spiders.

A what? A serious response? Well, OK - I found two of those same critters on the back porch just a couple of nights ago. Yeah, they do make ye think!

I am a little scared (no, a lot scared) of spiders coz I was chomped on by a Brown Recluse a few years back and ended up in hospital for a while and off work for a bit over five months. My leg has never really recovered from the experience. People who see the results of the bite often ask if I have had a serious burn injury.

Dunno if these boogers in your pics bite or not but I don't intend to find out either.

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

Possibly the *Golden Silk* spider, also known as the Banana Spider. We have tons of those things down here in Southeast Texas, and in fact, they play a dominate part in one of the local caches, I think it's called, The Shrubbery. We've learned to walk with a walking stick (hiking stick) and wave it in circles in front of us in areas that don't appear to have been walked through in a while. They look huge, but they are mostly harmless.

Heck, I've had the darned things dropping off me as I walk along having forgotten to wave my stick. You look silly doing it of course, but hey, I'm not a fan of spiders of any kind or ilk. We pretty much leave them alone, and they pretty much leave us alone.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Afghanistan was a battle. Iraq was a battle. The war goes on."

I feel your pain...I have officially dubbed this the year of the spider around here. Is it due to the amount of rain earlier this year? I live on a little over nine wooded acres, so I am well accustomed to bugs n such, but I have never never never seen them like this. They have already decorated my front porch for Halloween! I walk through their webs INSIDE the garage on the way to my car in the mornings. I swear, it's getting a little B movie creepy around here.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

quote:
Consider this....the front door to the side walk is about 20 ft long. Within this distance we came across 6 of these large spiders.

I figure it is anyone's right to kill a spider. I avoid killing them because I grew up with entomologist parents and hence saving bugs (although spiders are not insects). Anyway, I do kill ones that make webs in my house (or knock down the web) but I try to send them outside if possible. The ones outside I watch and admire if possible (over the front walk is a problem). I would have kept the orb spider and would have loved watching it. So, that is why I previously wrote "poor spider." Still, I respect anyone's choice on that since I'm kind of a freak when it comes to actually liking such things. icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

I'm kind of a freak when it comes to actually liking such things. icon_smile.gif

I like spiders too. I love golden orb weavers. They're my favorite. Of course, you already know I'm a freak.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

http://www.texasgeocaching.com Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

NO!!! Snoogans, I had no idea!!! Heheheh.

But, are you the spider's fav?

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Afghanistan was a battle. Iraq was a battle. The war goes on."

quote:
Originally posted by Titus2_13:

Sorry to see you nuked him. The rule around our house is inside they're dead, outside they can roam at will.

At our house, they're ok inside or out. I figure if they're inside, they must be eating something else that we really don't want around.

I saw information once that stated that on the average, you are no more than 10 feet from a spider where ever you are. In other words, they're everywhere and for the most part, they are our friends.

Now, if it's a Black Widow or Brown Recluse, the "it's a spider, it's ok" rule at our house, goes out the window really quickly and they get nuked quicker than you can say RAID.

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

sigavatar.gif

quote:
Originally posted by boreal jeff & sons:

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

I saw information once that stated that on the average, you are no more than 10 feet from a spider where ever you are.

Is this true even in Antarctica?

I do agree spiders are very useful especially when they eat Mosquitoes!

Every hour spent Geocaching is added to the end of your life.

Probably not true in Antartica, but think about what that does to the average where you are!

All weal drive, the only way to go!

They're in the deep south, too. We call them "cotton patch" spiders, but yep, that's an orb spider.

LOL -- solohiker, I'd bet a barking spider is about the same as the "burping spider" around here. They sneak up on you -- usually right after a big meal -- and burp right behind you, right?

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by Titus2_13:

quote:
Originally posted by boreal jeff & sons:

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

I saw information once that stated that on the average, you are no more than 10 feet from a spider where ever you are.

Is this true even in Antarctica?

I do agree spiders are very useful especially when they eat Mosquitoes!

Every hour spent Geocaching is added to the end of your life.

Probably not true in Antartica, but think about what that does to the average where you are!

Yeah. What he said. There are probably places in very humid areas where the density of spiders is probably on the order of what Monte Carlo's human density is, only to the square foot.

Let's look at it this way. Be very glad that insects and arachnids don't have much of a brain. Otherwise, we wouldn't be around here for very long.

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

sigavatar.gif

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

They're in the deep south, too. We call them "cotton patch" spiders, but yep, that's an orb spider.

LOL -- solohiker, I'd bet a barking spider is about the same as the "burping spider" around here. They sneak up on you -- usually right after a big meal -- and burp right behind you, right?

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I always thought that was a saber-toothed rat. If I recall correctly, the barking spider has a much worse odor.

Cheers!

TL

Inside they all die. icon_frown.gif

Outside unless they are a Black Widow or Brown Recluse they live. big_smile.gif

Webs get removed no matter where. Also a broom works better then spray and doesn't make everyone else sick.

Just in case you don't think a broom works, I killed 14 black widows one evening on the back patio after being away for a few days. ohh.gif

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

quote:
Originally posted by joefrog:

Joel (joefrog)

I always thought that was a saber-toothed rat. If I recall correctly, the barking spider has a much worse odor.

Cheers!

TL

Follow. But! Follow only if ye be men of valor, for the entrance to this cave is Guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no Man yet has fought with it and lived! Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave Knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

Could you be speaking of the infamous Rabbit of Caerbannog?

Brian

Team A.I.

Those spiders made me wuss out on a cache I was 75 feet away from this past weekend in Pearland Texas. I posted a note on the log and here is a reply I got:

Funny thing about the spider. I did the same thing. Then I ducked and kept on moving. If you want to see more of these spiders go to the back of this same park and you will see several if not 50+ hanging from trees that span 20 yards across. Their webs are amazing since they build across such large distances. These spiders are called Golden Orb Weavers. If you notice in the sun their webs have a golden tint to them and they are completely harmless. Chances are they won't even bite you

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

I believe that is a barking spider.

Very common around my house icon_eek.gif

You ain't seen nothing. In El Paso, we have barking bullfrogs! And do they ever have a breath problem! They will sneak up behing you and bark!

In the cool desert evenings you can sometimes see terantulas crossing the desert floor. Neat creatures!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!