Wieght loss while geocaching.

Bilder

Anyone else been loosing some wieght while caching? I have lost a few pounds and have started back up on a low carb diet to speed things along. Between the diet and lots of hiking I hope to get down to that fine manly figure I had when I got married.

Who here is the Jared (the Subway guy) of Geocaching?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

I saw someone say yesterday that they lost 40 lbs. geocaching. I forget who, though haha

I'm hoping to do some of that as well... I'm already in much better shape than I was 2 months ago when I started, even if I haven't done any serious hiking. Getting outside is enough of a kickstart icon_wink.gif

A great serial killer once said, "Beauty is only skin deep. Trust me, I've looked..."

If so, then put me at the lead so far... Well I don't think I will be losing to much more since I am about where I want to be.

I am right around 90lbs lost right now. Check out my profile for a before after pic.

Man I love geocaching a lot more when you can fly up trails in the rocky mountains and not doing that "Huff, Huff, Wheezzz, Wheezzz" thing!

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

We need a _weight loss leaderboard!_ icon_razz.gif

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/aktion/action-smiley-076.gif

A = A

The last time I checked I had lost 10 lbs since starting, but I recently moved and started a new job (hence, less geocaching) and I'd bet I have gained it back. As soon as I finish doing all of the new house stuff I plan on getting back to geocaching. My goal is to lose about 70-80 lbs.

Someone should create a geocaching weight loss web site! LOL icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

-Stroh

-Technology...I have no idea what I would do without my GPSr, my TiVo, or my Computer with a broadband connection. I guess I would spend more time with my wife! icon_smile.gif

Tell me about it! I don't feel like the same person! Lets see... I was just starting to get a twinge of carpel tunnel, really having trouble breathing while sleeping on my back, my blood pressure was high and my cholestoral was not that great either. All those things are fixed with out any money spent on medical stuff.

But my favorite new thing... I can sit with my knees up to my chin. The simple things are the coolest icon_smile.gif

The first 20lbs were the hardest till I was able to find all new stuff to eat that I liked. That is the key in my mind. You have to find foods to eat that you like, not just non-fat stuff that tastes like ****. Once you have found a quantity of food you like and is within a calorie budget the rest is easy. Whatever you do, eat if your hungry! There are plenty of foods that are very low cal you can have. And if you blow it one day... Oh well. I have a few days logged where I sucked down 4-5 times what I was supposed to that day, it happens.

What I currently do is eat pretty low-cal during the week and whatever I want on the weekend with other people. But I have noticed my tastes have changed over time. I can't stand a large McD's cheeseburger and fries anymore. I can have one or the other, but both just make me feel like crap. This did not happen overnight, it was a very gradual taste change. The first foods that I bought for my diet were replacements for my diet of hamburgers, fries & pizza. Then I started to move to new foods.

This from the person who would go to McD's and order four double cheeseburgers after a long hike.

The other secret was program called WWCalc for the palm pilot. I could use that to easily keep track of what I was taking in. Best of all it has available all the Weight Watchers point values for all the major resturant chains, so I know whats on the menu before the waitress/er gets there. Which is good because sometimes it takes me fricken forever to find something remotly healthy and sounds good on the menu. Sometimes I just end up ordering what sounds good, screw the points.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

No weight but I can do hills a lot better than I used too. Dan Edwards. I'm sorry but that other person in the photo is not you. Definitaly a different person!

A = A

quote:
Originally posted by Tahosa:

Dan I've heard your new diet will include bottles of Gerbers pre mashed vegetables. icon_smile.gif

Washed down with lil bottles of applesauce.

Tahosa - Dweller of Mountain Tops.

Well my diet will only include small portions of such things because I have already told myself that I will taste any food I buy for my soon-to-be son. Should be a interesting way to try new things! My wife is due October 22nd and her last day at work will be October 9th. Personally I am hoping for a Halloween baby. I wonder how long I could convince my son that everyone dresses up for his birthday and "Trick or Treat" is just a different way of saying "Happy Birthday".

Actually food is one of the things I have been thinking about. I want to instill healthy food habits, but I don't want to be anal-retentive about it either. From what I have been talking to the doctor about it is that if they are hungry feed them, and if they are not don't make them eat. Kids have not had time to develop bad habits about eating so they are probably just responding to what their bodies are telling them. Something I have had to relearn all over again icon_wink.gif

A = A

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

GEOCACHING & CHICK-FIL-A!!!! I've lost just over 40 lbs. and those are the only changes I have made to my routine!! YAY!!!!

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

http://www.texasgeocaching.com Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

If it works and you like it go with that! It's simple and inexpensive too. That usually does enter any sentence of a person trying to lose weight!

Heck just cutting the fry's out of a burger and frys meal and replacing them with a salad will save you a LOT of calories (well unless you smoother it in calorie laden stuff). I love CHICK-FIL-A myself, but the only one in town that I know of is in the local mall, and since there is no stores there I like much I just don't hang out there much, but I did notice that I had a easy time finding stuff to eat there.

About the malls here in Colorado, let me just say this...

If your looking for Outdoor gear Colorado is THE place to go shopping. If your a geek and love electronics you need to avoid Colorado! God what I would not give to have a Fry's here!!!

A = A

50 lbs. here. I started a low carb diet in Feb. Started hiking, biking, and walking since I started caching and the weight fell off. I have 15-20 lbs to go but I'll make it now that I cache and get off the couch...lol. My cholesterol was 165 in Feb now its 132. It didnt start out bad but its better now anyway...

Good Luck to everyone else thats losing weight, Its not easy when everyone around you is eating icecream and cheeseburgers. My tatse buds have also changed, I dont even think about eating junk anymore....REAL MEN EAT SALADS...LOL

"WITHOUT GEOGRAPHY YOU'RE NOWHERE....Jimmy Buffett

Actually if you are low carbing you can have burgers and ice cream. Just make sure it is sugar free ice cream. Those sugar free Klondike bars are fantastic.

I have found tons of recipies for low carb breads and other stuff online. I lost 25 pounds last year and am going for another 25 this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

[This message was edited by Bilder on September 08, 2003 at 08:33 PM.]

quote:

GEOCACHING & CHICK-FIL-A!!!! I've lost just over 40 lbs. and those are the only changes I have made to my routine!! YAY!!!!

Dang, Chik-Fil-A is all the way across town...where most of the caches I haven't found are. Gee, honey, I've GOT to get something to eat on my way caching.... icon_wink.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

quote:

Dang, Chik-Fil-A is all the way across town...where most of the caches I haven't found are. Gee, honey, I've GOT to get something to eat on my way caching.... icon_wink.gif

It's all part of my "Jared of Geocaching" self promotion. I'm gonna need a corporate sponsor to really rake in the dough. I'm also looking for a ghost writer to do my "Unauthorized" biography. icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

I lost 4 lbs. in a not so long ago hike.

You shouldn't eat such a big meal before a long hike. Hope ya had enough TP. icon_wink.gif

Seriously though, those were cool pictures. I WILL do those caches some day.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

I have been combining bicycling and geocaching. Two months ago, I went on a long bike ride from Pittsburgh to Washington DC. In the 4 days it took for me to travel the 320 miles, I logged 11 caches and lost 10 pounds. I did a trip to Long Island, put under 100 miles on the bike, logged 8 caches and lost another 5 pounds.

I've found that caching expends more energy in the short term, climbing hills and sweating like a targh. Combine that with a more controlled expendature of energy through 8+ hours of peddaling and that's quite a reasonable workout that burns a lot of fat.

89355_500.gif