Oh Man! Aauuurghhhh! What's up with this?

Planet

I am trying to log a found cache. Squantz Rock in CT to be exact. I am logged in, however, when ever I get to THAT cache page it tells me I must log in to log my visit, so I try, and it takes me right back to the cache page and tells me I'm not logged in. Is it me? Has anyone ever had this trouble before? This is the cache page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=33927

Frustrating. I took the AFLAC Rubber Duck TB and really want to log it.

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

I am trying to log a found cache. Squantz Rock in CT to be exact. I am logged in, however, when ever I get to THAT cache page it tells me I must log in to log my visit, so I try, and it takes me right back to the cache page and tells me I'm not logged in. Is it me? Has anyone ever had this trouble before? This is the cache page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=33927

Cache you later,

Planet

I know that a similar thing happens on the forums. But it sounds like what you're describing is something different. Did you say that it only happens for THAT cache page, but not with others? Weird. I went to the cache page, and clicked on Log Your Visit, and the log page popped up no problem. It looks like you still haven't been able to get in there yet and grab the TB, though. Does it continue to tell you you need to log in even if you log in a second time?

I'd recomemmed e-mailing Jeremy. Meanwhile, you should be able to go directly to the TB page, and 'grab' it, as opposed to retrieving it from the cache page. That way, people won't try to visit the cache, thinking they will still find the duck.

By the way, there's a twin out there: AFLAC Duck icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:

Cache you later,

Planet

I know that a similar thing happens on the forums. But it sounds like what you're describing is something different. Did you say that it only happens for THAT cache page, but not with others? Weird. I went to the cache page, and clicked on Log Your Visit, and the log page popped up no problem. It looks like you still haven't been able to get in there yet and grab the TB, though. Does it continue to tell you you need to log in even if you log in a second time?

I'd recomemmed e-mailing Jeremy. Meanwhile, you should be able to go directly to the TB page, and 'grab' it, as opposed to retrieving it from the cache page. That way, people won't try to visit the cache, thinking they will still find the duck.

-------

quote:

Cache you later,

Planet

-------

Not a cookie problem, don't know what it was but after I disconnected from being online and got back on it worked. Before that whenever I clicked on "LOG IN" it just took me back to the page but all is well now, thanks for the speedy replies.

And looking back it's not the AFLAC rubber Duck, This is the Lucky Duck TB, no AFLAC, someone else said that in the logs and I took it up. Apologies there.

I never have a problem with cookies! Especially white chocolate chip macadamias!

Cache you later,

Planet

I had something similar happen. I had to close all my windows, log off the site totally and log back on to get it to work. Just started recently, so I wonder if its a bug that was intruoduced with the recent changes.

Perhaps this should be posted to the Geocaching.com discussion board.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

...is still an AFLAC duck. icon_wink.gif

quote:

And looking back it's not the AFLAC rubber Duck, This is the Lucky Duck TB, no AFLAC, someone else said that in the logs and I took it up. Apologies there.

No apologies necessary. You were right the first time. Sure, the names are different, but they are twins none the less: "THIS IS A WHITE AFLAC DUCK THAT CAN BE USED TO RELIEVE YOUR STRESS BY SQUEEZING HIM. SO FEEL FREE TO RELIEVE SOME OF YOUR STRESS WHEN YOU TRANSPORT HIM FROM CACHE TO CACHE."

UPDATE: Hmmm...I just noticed something else weird, though. I see that you retrieved the Lucky Duck from the cache, but for some reason, it's still showing the TB link on the cache page, even though the TB page shows it as being in your possession. What's up with that?

...is still an AFLAC duck. icon_wink.gif

quote:

No apologies necessary. You were right the first time. Sure, the names are different, but they are twins none the less: "THIS IS A WHITE AFLAC DUCK THAT CAN BE USED TO RELIEVE YOUR STRESS BY SQUEEZING HIM. SO FEEL FREE TO RELIEVE SOME OF YOUR STRESS WHEN YOU TRANSPORT HIM FROM CACHE TO CACHE."

UPDATE: Hmmm...I just noticed something else weird, though. I see that you retrieved the Lucky Duck from the cache, but for some reason, it's still showing the TB link on the cache page, even though the TB page shows it as being in your possession. What's up with that?

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Another bug I think...if you log the find first, then the bug, the cache page won't change since the log on the cache page updates it and it won't update again until someone else makes a log.

Oh that's good...the next person will enter a log that says, "The travel bug isn't in the cache, even though it's shown above." And then as soon as they post, the bug link disappears, and makes them look like they hallucinated. icon_rolleyes.gif

Has anyone brought this new bug to Jeremy's attention, or is this the first it's been noticed?

I guess meanwhile, we should post another log, and then delete it, just to fix the bug reference?

quote:

Another bug I think...if you log the find first, then the bug, the cache page won't change since the log on the cache page updates it and it won't update again until someone else makes a log.

Oh that's good...the next person will enter a log that says, "The travel bug isn't in the cache, even though it's shown above." And then as soon as they post, the bug link disappears, and makes them look like they hallucinated. icon_rolleyes.gif

Has anyone brought this new bug to Jeremy's attention, or is this the first it's been noticed?

I guess meanwhile, we should post another log, and then delete it, just to fix the bug reference?

I have a similar prob in microsoft internet exploder. Try doing it in netscape instead. That's why I keep both on my puter, some things work in one but not the other and vice-versa

My 2 cents

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:

Interesting... I'll modify the database trigger so it checks the bug before and after the update is made, so the cache is regenerated.

The login may have to do with the duplicate session issue on the site. There are actually two separate web sites now, one in ASP and one in ASP.net - Even when you login you login twice (though it looks like once, and three times if you log into the forums). But, in theory, if you are active on the cache pages you should at least be hitting the rest of the site during the session (though perhaps not). Boosting session times may help clear that up.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:

I am logged in, however, when ever I get to THAT cache page it tells me I must log in to log my visit, so I try, and it takes me right back to the cache page and tells me I'm not logged in. Is it me?

I was having the same problem.

I have my shortcut to geocaching.com set up with an auto-login. The cache pages were doing EXACTLY the same thing until I changed it.

Old shortcut:

http://www.geocaching.com/login/default.asp?s=5&username=web-ling&password=XXXXXXX

New shortcut:

http://www.geocaching.com/login/default.aspx?s=5&username=web-ling&password=XXXXXXX

I had to change .asp to .aspx, then it worked fine.

25021_1200.gif

I was not using auto log-in. I log in every time I get into geocaching.com. I did however have several windows open at the time, 2 for geocaching (searching and reading forums at once), and one for my job, but still, I clicked "Log In" on the cache page and was taken back to that cache page, not "My Cache Page". It worked once I hung up and got back on.

Cache you later,

Planet

This was happening to me yesterday. I just finally threw my hands in the air and said forget it, "I" know I found it.. so who cares.

(I'm one of the people who doesn't care a great deal about the find numbers)

Anyway, when I logged in the earlier today, I gave it another shot and worked fine. I didn't do anything different, I'm using Netscape 7 and sometimes I have the log in screen set to rememember me and sometimes I don't. For both of these times it was set at don't.

I do think I had been jumping around a lot, I had several tabs open in Net 7 and was surfing a great deal - I'm such an information geek.

Anyway, it could have been that it didn't know what I was doing because I had several geocaching tabs open. I usually have one where I'm reading the forum, one where I'm looking at the cache pages - the the various tabs to read my e-mail or hyperlinks people give me while reading forums! =-)

Like I said, I am an information geek - gotta know... gotta know... it's not right unless I know!!

Anyway, I'll stop typing now... icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!**

This was happening to me yesterday. I just finally threw my hands in the air and said forget it, "I" know I found it.. so who cares.

(I'm one of the people who doesn't care a great deal about the find numbers)

Anyway, when I logged in the earlier today, I gave it another shot and worked fine. I didn't do anything different, I'm using Netscape 7 and sometimes I have the log in screen set to rememember me and sometimes I don't. For both of these times it was set at don't.

I do think I had been jumping around a lot, I had several tabs open in Net 7 and was surfing a great deal - I'm such an information geek.

Anyway, it could have been that it didn't know what I was doing because I had several geocaching tabs open. I usually have one where I'm reading the forum, one where I'm looking at the cache pages - the the various tabs to read my e-mail or hyperlinks people give me while reading forums! =-)

Like I said, I am an information geek - gotta know... gotta know... it's not right unless I know!!

Anyway, I'll stop typing now... icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

**Try something 3 times before giving up on it! The 1st time may be bad weather, the 2nd may be dead GPS batteries, the 3rd you may spot that hiding spot!!**

I was having the same problem of not being able to post finds a few minutes ago. Then, after reading Web-Ling's post about auto logins, I added the "x" and was able to post my finds. The first one did not update immediately when I clicked the link to go to the cache page. I closed my browser (IE6) and logged back in, and the screen was updated.

The second "found it" post (different cache) seemed to update immediately without any problems.

The third "found it" post also seemed to update immediately when I clicked the link to take me to the cache page, but it also logged me out when it took me there. I realized this when I noticed the "delete", "encrypt this log", etc. options were not displayed on my post.

Things definitely are not consistently working the way they were before this latest upgrade.

Worldtraveler