Remember When????

-hiding easter eggs or finding them

-catching baby frogs (toads)

-or lightning bugs

-june bugs

-building sandcastles in the sandbox

-digging holes in the back yard, for whatever reason

-pulling up daisies (he loves me, he loves me not)

-walking and splashing in the mud and muck then coming home to Mom, who had to do the laundry that day!

-building a "hut" out of whatever vines, poison ivy or whatever it may be that you tore from the roots! (after watching an episode of "Gilligans Island"

Wow, the mischief kids create...and the adults that just don't get it!

Wish we could all be kids again! Wait! We CAN! It's called Geocaching (finding that illusive treasure!)..and it doesn't involve catching frogs or bugs...yet it does involve an enjoyable hike where we may accidentally break a stem here or there, but it will grow back! That's Nature for ya! WOW!!! Wish everyone who is a naysayer of this sport would try it just once! You might LIKE IT!

To all who enjoy it, Happy Hunting!

Amen!!! But one bad apple spoils the bunch. I'm refering to the

cachers that don't like the rules to the game, so they do it their way anyway, & give others a bad rap. I don't agree with some of the rules, but I still follow them. And no I'm not a SAINT.

ROCKER

give to the world the best you have,

and the best will come back to you.

...............MaryAinge deVere

VERY nice post, thanks for bringing a smile to my face on a lazy Saturday morning. Geocaching allows this balding 42 year old to remember when he was an 11 year old boy scout: exploring caves, rappelling off cliffs, climbing trees, fighting off priests...

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

weRlostNDwoods, You're dating yourself! icon_wink.gif SIGH Yeah I remember icon_smile.gif You are right Geocaching does allow us the chance to return to better times a bit, doesn't it? How about playing outside at night? I don't mean until dark. I mean NIGHT! Sleep outs under the stars in the summer. When you looked forward to plenty of snow cause ya didn't hafta go to school, but you could play outside! icon_cool.gif

Good post! icon_smile.gif

I'm not a balding 42 year old as one member from the Leprechauns described himself (he seems like a nice person though, so I had to pick a little), but I do remember the days in mention.

I'm sure everyone has tended to wishing their life away in one way or another.

For instance, I started out wishing to be 16 to drive.

Then 18 to be an adult.

Then 21 for purchasing *ahem* ..nevermind that one.

But anymore its just SOSDD.

Wish I was a kid again, too.

Geocaching helps to ease the pressure alot. Thanks Geocaching!

Oh yeah! Nice post again. I enjoyed reminiscing. I rate it five stars!

I remember whe I was a kid..

Cops didn't bother us as much.

Cops used to let you get away with some little indescretions.

Get into a fight over some little argument and the Cops wouldn't even be called.

If a Cop caught you driving at 15years of age in the Country, He'd kick your *** and tell you to go home....

Get caught for speeding and offer the Cop 20 bucks and he'd forget all about it??(Hmmm). icon_eek.gif

Nowadays, You can't get away with anything and I mean anything. Drive 5Kmh over the speed limit and see what happens.Shout at your Neighbor and see what happens.

Gone are the days when some things were considered fun..

Pity....

Damian Mueller

damian007@optusnet.com.au

Thank you Opey One (love that smokin' cat BTW! FUNNY!), for your nice reply and great rating! Thanks to all of you for replying! It's fun reading the things all of you remember! And Zoltig..you're right! I have told my age! hehe The thing about getting older, though? It sure beats the alternative! hehe

How about "Hide-n-Seek" with the neighborhood kids - phone pole is home,

shooting stars - did you see it?,

campfires and ghost stories - the hook on the car door...,

playing in the creek, making dams,

bluegills - a bass if you were lucky,

battling the kids "from the other side of the creek" in crabapple fights,

snow forts and battles,

model rockets -Estes ruled,

stingray bikes with banana seats and sissy bars,

first kiss -at my uncle's farm, she had braces,

AM radio late at night.

Man, I remember those days. It makes me wonder what my two boys will remember 30 years from now. Hopefully, hiking the hills with dad in search of the elusive geocache will be in their somewhere.

"I've never been lost, but I was a might bewildered for three days once." - Daniel Boone

I saw this posted somewhere:

Remember when:

Mom was at home when the kids got home from school; when nobody owned

a purebred dog; when a quarter was a decent allowance, and

another quarter a huge bonus; when you'd reach into a muddy gutter for

a penny; when all of your male teachers wore neckties, and

female teachers had their hair done and wore high heels; when nobody

wore jeans to school. . . ever.

When you got your windshield cleaned, oil checked and gas pumped

without asking, all for free, every time, and, you didn't pay for air,

and, you got trading stamps to boot!

When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner

at a real restaurant with your parents; when the worst thing you could

do at school was smoke in the bathrooms, flunk a test or chew gum.

When a new Chevy was everyone's dream car, to cruise, peel out, lay

rubber or watch submarine races; and people went steady and girls wore

a class ring with an inch of wrapped yarn so it would fit her finger.

And no one ever asked where the car keys were because they were always

in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked. And you

got in big trouble if you accidentally locked the doors at home, since

no one ever had a key.

Remember lying on your back on the grass with your friends and saying

things like "That cloud looks like a ..."

Remember jumping waves at the ocean for hours in that cold water;

and playing baseball with no adults to help kids with the rules of the

game because baseball was not a psychological group learning

experience, it was a game.

Remember when stuff from the store came without safety caps and

hermetic seals because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect

stranger.

And with all our progress, don't you wish, just once, you could slip

back in time and savor the slower pace and share it with the children

of today.

Remember when being sent to the principal's office was nothing

compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.

Basically, we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of

drive by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents

were a much bigger threat! But we all survived because their love was

greater than the threat.

Go back with me for a minute . . . Before the Internet or the MAC . .

Before semi automatics and crack . . . Before SEGA or Playstation 2 .

. .

Way back . . .

I'm talking about hide and go seek at dusk, red light, green light,

kick the can, playing kickball & dodgeball until your porch light came

on ... and "Mother May I"? Red Rover, hula hoops, roller skating to

music, running through the sprinkler . . .

And . . . Catching lightning bugs in a jar; Christmas morning; your

first day of school; bedtime prayers and goodnight kisses; climbing

trees; getting an ice cream off the ice cream truck; a million

mosquito bites and sticky fingers; jumping on the bed; pillow fights;

running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard your stomach

hurt; being tired from playing; your first crush . . . remember that?

I'm not finished yet . . . Kool-aid was the drink of summer; toting

your friends on your handle bars; wearing your new shoes on the first

day of school and class field trips.

Didn't that feel good? Just to go back and say, "Yeah, I remember

that!" There's nothing like the good old days. They were good then,

and they're good now when we think about them.

Share some of these thoughts with a friend who can relate, then share

it with someone that missed out on them.

I want to go back to the time when . . . Decisions were made by going

"eeny-meeny-miney-mo" and mistakes were corrected by simply

exclaiming, "DO OVER!" "Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the

fastest; money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in

Monopoly; catching fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening;

and it wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends. Being

old referred to anyone over 20 and the worst thing you could catch

from the opposite sex was cooties. Scrapes and bruises were kissed

and made better; it was a big deal to finally be tall enough to ride

the "big people" rides at the amusement park; getting a foot of snow

was a dream come true; abilities were discovered because of a

"double-dog-dare"; spinning around, getting dizzy and falling

down was cause for giggles; the worst embarrassment was being picked

last for the team; waterballoons were the ultimate weapon; and older

siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.

If you can remember some or all of these, then you have LIVED a

wonderful life!!!! Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from

their "grown up"life.

I'm only 31, but this darn world seems so different. I remember soooo many of these things and desperately hope my son can enjoy even half of them as we once did. Thanks everyone.

'Nuff said. good night and pleasant dreams to all.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

Remember playing "kick the can" at night, after you changed into all black (or very dark) clothes, so the person that was "it" couldn't see you as well.... and hiding in a nearby tree, ready to jump down and kick the can before he saw you.... wow, the memories this thread brings back....

Watching the cicadas emerge from their skins, and flying away..

spending hours at the creek, not worrying about whether someone was going to grab you.. and not having your mom worry about you, because she knew you were safe...

there were some good times back then!

Climbing trees, swimming at the swimming hole, swinging on the rope over the water, riding the tractor, vacations at the beach, vacations at the lake, bluberry picking, picking cherries off the tree from the roof of the Post Office, eating apples, the carousel, clamming with Dad, Bug Blue!, catching my first bluefish, tricycles and rhubarb, Mrs, Green's grapes, sledding and snow forts, forts made out of packing boxes, the tree forts, forts made out of lawn chairs and blankets to sleep out in the field, and ok, so maybe it wasn't such a good idea but Mom let us play in the dry cleaner bags with the vacuum cleaner hose on backwards blowing it up. It was fun. Kids don't try this at home.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

Mrs, Green's grapes,

Ah, don't know Mrs. Green but there was a neighbor who had grapes, raspberries, and other sweet goodies in her garden. It was a huge garden. Whenever our baseball ended up in her yard, we all would go to hunt the ball. Sometimes it took a long time to find it icon_smile.gif I remember her looking out the window and smiling at us.

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

Whenever our baseball ended up in her yard, we all would go to hunt the ball. Sometimes it took a long time to find it icon_smile.gif I remember her looking out the window and smiling at us.

Oh yeah, I also remember when the ball used to go into Mad Dog's yard icon_smile.gif

I live in a place like that. My kids play in the neighborhood, and I don't need to worry about them. Everyone knows them. They ride their bikes in the street and folks stop, and let them get out of the way. My son (10) spends the day riding his bike around town with his friends, exploring the nearest salmonifilled creek (summer time of course). The owner of the local paint store knows me by name, and has the colors of the paint memorized for my house AND my boat, and lets me charge it, no credit card, just good old fashioned creit.

No one checks your I.D. when you use a credit card or write a check to pay fo anything, because they either know you or recognize you.

You never have to walk very far if you don't want to. You can borrow a truck to move furniture or whatever from just about anyone.

My kids eat salmon berries, and blueberries and huckleberries and raspberries from bushes all over town without worry of chemical poisoning.

I can catch dungeness crab and halibut less than 1/2 mile from my desk at work. (I was out there last Friday.. icon_wink.gif

There still are places like this!

MacDaddy in Sitka, AK. (We even have about 8 caches!)

icon_biggrin.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

Stingray bikes with the banana seat! The one with the shifter in the middle, where you would always rack your sa**...LOL...I used to be able to ride a wheelie all the way down the block...maybe I will go out and buy another one, I heard the are making them again...

While caching last night I cam across a tiny turtle and was reminded of being kid with a small turtle in a little terrarium.

My adult outer self took a picture, but my inner child wanted me to take it home.

If I had, someone would haved called the police on me for removing it from the park. My how times have changed, since we caught tadpoles, horney-toads, or skinks nd took them all home..... icon_frown.gif

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Oh yes, memory lane..

One that was missing, at least for me. Coming home from school and Mom making me change out of my "good" clothes into my "old" clothes.

Two types of bicycles were all that were around. A regular bicycle and a 3 speed bicycle.

In late gradeschool years along came TV. It got one channel and Wrestling was the most watched thing.

The records were 45 rpm with the big hole. Dances were in the gym in your socks.

THe screen door banges when ever you came in or went out of the house.

There were actually stars in the sky at night.

Baseball and football were played in the school yard. No adults around.

I remember getting into a fist fight right in front of the principles door during recess. That's a term I handn't heard in a long time. Anyway, recess lasted about twice the normal time. The principle want the fight to end with a resolution so let it continue until he thought the dissagreement had been resolved. If that happened today, parents would have to go bail the kids out of jail.

Holoween pranks were things like moving the outhouse back about 3 feet. (I really don't know of an actual case where the intended result actually happened.) Or tipped them over.

We would ride our bicycles to the lake to go fishing and not worry about somebody stealing the bicycle or doing other bad things.

I also remember coming home, high school years, changing clothes, grabbing the shot gun. Walking through town to get to where the pheasants were hiding. The dog walked along side of me, a leash wasn't necessary. The dog had been trained as well as the kid. Of course there were lots of comments when you came back through town. If you were carrying birds, nice kind comments, if not carrying birds, teasing.

I don't know we ever did find the key to house. Doors were never locked. Wasn't necessary.

The only time you played inside was when the weather was just too bad to spend more than 3 or 4 hours outside. Board games were the inside activity.

A penny bought a piece of candy.

Saturday movie matinees. A cartoon, News reel, and a movie. Sometimes there would even be a short live show, like the Duncan guy with his yo-yos.

Enough for now.

Byron

quote:
Originally posted by Byron & Anne

One that was missing, at least for me. Coming home from school and Mom making me change out of my "good" clothes into my "old" clothes.

Yeah, that one was missing. We called them "school clothes" and "play clothes." No such thing as Sunday clothes, though. We went to church, but those were the same as school clothes. It was a Catholic school. icon_smile.gif

Sears "Toughskins" were my play clothes. I still managed to beat the crap out of those reinforced knees until they submitted. Sears is a fine company, but I don't think I'll be back for clothing needs anytime soon.

It's funny how we have indelible links (no pun intended) to our past, and most of us remember them as simpler, better times. Truthfully, things improve over time, making our lives better. I guess it's just that the only thing we know for certain about our lives is the past. Then again, sometimes I think I'd be a lot happier if I'd been born 100 years earlier.

We also make fun of the geezers before us who do the same thing. More irony there than Alanis Morissette could shake a stick at. icon_wink.gif

-Vb

My childhood was a mixed one, but I will recall the finer points of it.

I can't say my memories go back quite as far as Byron & Anne, but in 'my day', TransFormers and G.I. Joe were the hot toys of the day. It was battles with your friends over who would be the Autobots and Decepticons, which person got to be Optimus Prime, and who was Megatron. Game consoles had started to take hold, starting with my very first, the Atari 5200, and later a 7800, NES, and my first computer, a Commodore 64.

Diamondback wasn't a baseball team, or a snake many kids cared about, but the 'cool' BMX bike of the day.

Cream of Wheat was my breakfast, while Wallace & Ladmo (local Phoenix show) was the best morning show around and watched religiously. Ladmo Bags were coveted as much as $100 by any kid around who even had a faint idea what the show was.

Weekend ski trips with a ski club every so often to Purgatory or with a youth group. Those trips were some of the best memories of my childhood. Between the bonding with friends, and the serenity of skiing down a hill making first tracks in several inches of powder was amazing. Nothing compares to the feeling of floating on a white cloud as you glide toward the base of the mountain...except maybe terminal velocity as you fall from a perfectly good airplane. icon_biggrin.gif

My favorite thing of that era was model rocketry. Designing my own rockets was intensely challenging, and quite rewarding. I can't describe the feeling of a custom-designed rocket taking flight, flying with the desired effect, be it a slight spin, or simply straight without crashing to the Earth in a ball of fire. icon_smile.gif

Those were the days.

Brian

Team A.I.

Verboten said

"Sears "Toughskins" were my play clothes. I still managed to beat the crap out of those reinforced knees until they submitted"

Oh yeah and Mom always bought them too long so I could grow into them. The jeans would get rolled up about 3 inches. But like "V" mentioned, the knees never lasted. icon_biggrin.gif

Question: Who remembers the name of the first video game for T.V.?

Anybody up for a game of "Smear The Queer"?

And this was not meant to reflect sexual preferance.

quote:
Originally posted by zoltig:

Verboten said

Question: Who remembers the name of the first video game for T.V.?

Great Thread. icon_wink.gif

First video game for TV I remember was "Pong". Used to sit for hours & watch that dumb ball bounce around the screen. My favorite TV show when I was a kid, was "Sky King". Used to sit down in front of the TV & watch that every Saturday while dining on peanutbutter & jelly sandwichs. Sneaking out at night to play kick the can was one of my favorites too. Great to read all the posts here & remember better times. Too bad things will probably never be like that again. icon_frown.gif

"Gimpy"

--KC2KNI--

Ok..A few older ones...

TV first:

Kukla, Fran & Ollie, and everybody over 8 loved Fran. Was never sure exactly WHAt "Kukla" was, but with that round nose he looked like a small clown.

Cecil, the Sea-Sick Sea Serpent... A sock puppet that was actually a very funny show.

"Hey, Kids!! What time is it!!??" "It's Howdy Doody Time!" With Clarabelle and Princess Winter/Spring/summer/fall, and Mr. Bluster and the Peanut Gallery. And Buffalo Bob, of course.

"Goodnight, and God-bless!" Red Skelton, of course. With Heathcliff and Gertrude, the seagulls; Clem Kadiddlehopper.

Arthur Godfrey, who made you feel he was sitting in a chair in your living room, not on TV at all-- all red hair and freckles, even though it was years before color TV allowed you to see that.

"Dick Clark's American Bandstand!" Rushing home to see if your favorite song was still on the top 10, and trying to learn the dance steps by watching the dancers.

And in the Mystery/detective catagory: Sam Spade, Private Eye; Richard Diamond; Mark Hammond [The one-armed detective]; Most of these brought to you by various tobacco companies, but...who knew the difference?

Gorgeous George; Chief Thundercloud; Lou Thez;...all wrestlers who amazed the neighbors every Wednesday.

"Hi-Yo Silver! Away!"

Roy and Dale, with Nellibelle the jeep and Bullet the dog...and Trigger and Buttermilk.

"The Shadow Knows..."

"The Green Hornet"

"Look! Up in the Sky!..." And speaking of that - - who else went to matinee movies where Superman was presented in serials? The only one I remember was "Superman and the Spider Lady"

And leaving tv & the movies... How about trick or treating when you were more likely to get an apple or a homemade popcorn ball, than candy? The possibility of something bad in them wasn't thought of at all...after all, who would do such a thing??

Wading in the mud until you had 'mudboots' up to your knees.. You and a brother or friend on opposite sides of the road, pretending to stretch a rope across as the school bus came by...

Getting a 'finger-buzz' when the firecracker you just lit had a quicktime fuse. Putting cherry bombs in tin cans and throwing them into the pond.

Roman candle fights, at 20 paces. Rarely hitting anyone or getting hit, but still...

Building a tree house, that, despite your grandiose plans turned out to be nothing more than some boards nailed up to make a floor. {And what boy didn't try to 'parachute' down??}

Going to Boy Scout meetings, where you said the Pledge of Allegiance and meant it.

Going barefoot all summer, both by choice and by financial necessity.

Being on a 'Party Line' where anyone could pick up the phone and listen. And your 'number ' was called by grinding the crank in set patterns: One long and one short; Two short rings; Ours was Two long rings. If you were away for a few days and your phone rang, a neighbor would pick up and tell the caller when you were expected back. Who needed answering machines?

Watching the clothes as they went thru 'the Ringer' on the washing machine, going in wet and swollen, coming out flat and almost dry.

Making a tent out of an old army blanket spread out over two clothes lines, and sleeping in the jungle of your backyard. With gazillions of stars keeping an eye on you.

A postage stamp was 3 cents; a postcard cost a penny. Gas wars brought the price of gas down to single digits, 8 or 9 cents a gallon. You could drive around all night on a buck's worth of gas...

Climbing up onto the roof of the house to straighten the TV antenna after a storm.

Hmmm... that's all for now.

Rat

the Green Hornet rings in...in.. darn, what did those come in??  _SIGH_

Fritos, I think. Those would make great geocaching swag.

Hmmm. I didn't think Fritos were around during the Green Hornet area.

I do remember when I got my first radio, my first record player and when the family got their first TV.

Celophane? Now THAT really dates you.

How about going to the movies for 9-cents at the New Isis theater in North Ft. Worth?

How about going next door to the theater, to buy a package of itching powder (two cents) to sprinkle off the balcony?

How about stopping by the magic shop to buy -- for a nickel -- a little Luckies-size box with a hole in one side and a picture of an ear, indicating that you should listen here. A strip of celluloid (plastic not invented yet) hung from one corner. By running your thumbnail down the celluloid, you could hear FDR (picture on the other side) saying, "Remember Pearl Harbor!"

But remembering "better times?" Sorry guys, but I remember them as harder times.

I was born in a 12' "house car" -- there was nothing recreational about that vehicle.

Helping dad on his rounds fixin' machines (the sewing type) -- "Howdy, ma'am. My name's Buchanan and this here's my boy Bucky. If you have a machine that needs fixin', we'd be obliged to have a look at it. No money? That's all right, if you've got a dozen eggs or a slab of bacon, we'll take that."

A "Guess What" -- package of candy with a prize inside cost a nickel, but I didn't have a nickel.

Seeing dad return from a day of no customers, carrying a cardboard box for packing Mama's treasures.

"Where to this time Buck?"

"Don't know, sweetheart. Just light a rag and I'll follow the smoke!"

Next morning we were off for a new anchorage, one where all the sewing machines hadn't yet been fixed.

Edited by valleyrat
:unsure: Remember when::::--->>My backyard was the entire city park one block from home and I didnt need any map or gps because I practically lived there on my bicycle everyday and can tell you where everything is in it; giant turtle habitats, tadpole havens, climbing up on monkey island and into thier lighthouse and cement boat habitat because the moat was dried up and the monkeys were in their cages, catching all the catfish in the lake and then taking them over to the bear pits and dropping them off of the fishing stringer to watch the bears eat their free fresh catfish, and last but not least: being able to enjoy all of this without having to pay for it since it is now fenced off and charged admission for. Damned capitalists anyway! :rolleyes:

I remember playing outside (on weeknights) until the streetlights came on. Going out to my aunts farm to get field corn, taking it home to get the kernels off, and tossing it on neighbors aluminum awnings on Devil's night. And my Dad taking us out on our first Devil's night to show us "how it's done". Sitting on the skateboard and sliding down the "big hill" because we were all too chicken to stand up. - then hitting the big bump at the bottom of the hill and scraping your knee. My Mom sitting on the front porch, waiting for me to come home from school. Then going to the drugstore for a hot dog lunch and lemonaid. Sometimes Mom would make too much in the shake machine and I would get the leftovers. Getting a job so I could buy my own first car! Camping with a sleeping bag that wasn't warm enough, and having my dad find big rocks and warming them in the fire to put in the bags with us. (I still remember this and I was only 3 years old!) All of the camping trips with a smelly canvas tent!

My favorite book was "Tonys Treasure Hunt", where you hid clues that went from place to place. We played this all the time. My brother would make clues for me and I would do it for him. I guess this was one of the first multi caches! Wonder why I love GCing?

Gosh, there is so much that you have brought to mind. I still do lots of things that I enjoyed as a kid. I love showing kids how to hypnotize a frog and to enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of the forest. I wish GC came around just a little bit sooner. We did introduce it to our son when he was about 14, but he doesn't GC much anymore (19 now) even though he has upgraded his GPS three times, now to a Rino 130. If we would have been able to start it earlier, we might have had more great memories of it. Now it's just GeoMom and GeoDad!

Edited by GeoMom

This has been an enjoyable post to read..Thanks..brought back lots of great memories.

Many of the things that were true for me 40 years ago when I was 10 are true today. I still drink water out of the hose, change my clothes when I get home, ride my bike with friends on adventures, say the pledge of Allegiance and mean it.

Just remember, Today is the good old day of tomorrow, so go out today and make some memories for tomorrow. Go Geocaching.

:ph34r: Remember when::::--->>My backyard was the entire city park one block from home and I didnt need any map or gps because I practically lived there on my bicycle everyday and can tell you where everything is in it; giant turtle habitats, tadpole havens, climbing up on monkey island and into thier lighthouse and cement boat habitat because the moat was dried up and the monkeys were in their cages, catching all the catfish in the lake and then taking them over to the bear pits and dropping them off of the fishing stringer to watch the bears eat their free fresh catfish, and last but not least: being able to enjoy all of this without having to pay for it since it is now fenced off and charged admission for. Damned capitalists anyway! :ph34r:

HEY!! I think I know you!! You didn't by chance grow up in Pueblo, did you?

Maybe even longer ago...

When all photographs and televisions were black and white, radio (AM only) still had mysteries and comedies, WWII surplus was still new, airlines still flew propellor airplanes, cars were stick shift...

...and boys could pedal bikes anywhere with .22 rifles over their shoulders, space travel was fantasy or Buck Rogers, pollution was what happened to drunks, hoboes still came to the door asking to work for a meal, they played the World Series over the school loudspeaker system, kids could be sent to the neighborhood tavern to fetch a bucket of beer...

...gas was .29 a gallon, milk was three half-gallons for .88 and bread was a quarter a loaf, stores gave Green Stamps, a new Chevy went for 2,000, but good wages were 8,000 a year...

...the smart kids could buy and assemble working radios and stuff from Heathkits, Mr Wizard ruled on the TV, big companies had summer picnics for all their employees and Christmas parties for all their children...

...and the bad things:

polio struck down 55,000 kids a summer, iron lungs were considered miracles of medicine, mumps sterilized boys, scarlet fever ruined kids' hearts, measles could blind you and smallpox kill you, there were orphanages and delinquent schools in every county, there were poor farms and insane asylums, TB sanitariums and chain gangs...

...even minor car crashes killed people, smoking in bed burned thousands of homes and families every year, there were several train wrecks every week, with plane crashes almost as often, every kid practiced drop and cover drills because the Russians might nuke us at any moment, and you could be drafted three years before you could vote or drink.

Nostalgia: it isn't what it used to be.