How well would a buddy syst...

Guest Pat in Louisiana

Guest Pat in Louisiana

How well would a buddy system work? If my friend and I get close to a caches and separate by oh say 50 yards, Each take a bearing and walk that way how close to where our paths cross should we be to the cache?

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

30:27:13.392N

91:02:55.054W

I never get lost!

I simply investigate alternate destinations!

I would think it could be very useful by standing in the general area standing apart (gps's interfere w/ eachother if too close) and each get a bearing. Both of you can point to the cache and the intersection should be pretty close.

Plus you will have to people to search and for that matter pull ticks off of each other as sometimes those little buggers get to places that are hard for you to get to.

Guest Markwell

If you can get a third, it'd work out pretty well. Have the GPSR holders standing each at a distance of <100 feet and have them move the third person verbally until they stand in the line of site of the direction. It's triangulation [which can be found fully described here.

Guest Pat in Louisiana

I placed a Cache today! I took ten readings walking away about 30 to 50 feet each time in different directions and returning to the cache for new reading. I threw out the upper and lower readings and averaged the remaining eight. The Cache is under heavy tree cover and it was during a thunderstorm. would I have been better off walking around at about 100 feet and taking compass bearings? then I could have to plottted the intersections to get the location. I think?

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

30:27:13.392N

91:02:55.054W

I never get lost!

I simply investigate alternate destinations!

[This message has been edited by Pat in Louisiana (edited 01 September 2001).]

Guest Markwell

>

I think you'd be fine with those averages, although I will agree that the longer duration you can have in between your readings will give you better readings to average...

I also try to turn my GPS off between readings to see if it acquires a different constellation of satellites.

Guest Markwell

>

I think you'd be fine with those averages, although I will agree that the longer duration you can have in between your readings will give you better readings to average...

I also try to turn my GPS off between readings to see if it acquires a different constellation of satellites.