What reaction do you get?

RocketMan

I find that even though geocaching has grown immensely, there are still relatively few people who have heard of it. I am always promoting geocaching and when I have taken people along for the hunt, they often get hooked. With that said, I find that I get varying reactions from people when I first explain geocaching to them.

What reaction do you get when you explain geocaching to someone who has never heard of it before?

[This message was edited by Rocket Man on December 23, 2002 at 03:07 PM.]

I think Geocaching is kinda like golf. Looks boring until you try it. Then you get hooked.

quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Man:

I find that even though geocaching has grown immensely, there are still relatively few people who have heard of it. I am always promoting geocaching and when I have taken people along for the hunt, they often get hooked. With that said, I find that I get varying reactions from people when I first explain geocaching to them.

What reaction do you get when you explain geocaching to someone who has never heard of it before?

It depends on who you are talking to.

The hardest to convince was the police officer who wanted to know why I was hanging around a children's playground. I have since avoided caches placed near playgrounds unless Mrs. Hiemdahl is along.

Otherwise the response is either a "deer in the headlights" look or some form of mild indifference.

Hiemdahl

quote:
Originally posted by Liberto:

I think Geocaching is kinda like golf. Looks boring until you try it. Then you get hooked.

I don't know about that, I've tried golf. I get the reaction, "Are there a lot of them around?"

Or

"If the gps tells you where it is, how hard can it be?"

Or

"What if someone puts a bomb in one?"

Or

"Whatever."

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I had one friend interested enough to ask to join me on a trip to Tupelo to try to regain the Mississippi lead. (Of course, it'd take more than that, now.) I haven't yet made the trip, and I still plan to invite him when I go. I'm not sure if he'll be up for it. But aside from him, most people just smile and nod... at most they'll ask me a little about it, and then forget about it.

My favorite response was from a girl in one of my classes. She was familiar with GPS, so I showed her mine, and explained geocaching. She seemed quite interested, and I thought I might be able to get her to join me until she said "Yeah, that'd be fun if you didn't have anything better to do."

Jamie

I am rather enthusiastic when I talk geocaching. A lot of people are interested enough to say they'll check out the website. A family at the Save the Children gift shop was keenly interested, a woman at the electronics store, and the guy behind the counter, a clerk in a deli, the man at the dollar store, a prospective home buyer, all very interested. Then the other end of the spectrum is "Huh? You look for something in the woods and take it? Then what?" So, I either try again or give up. Some people just don't get it. My coworkers are starting to, one brought in some nice sweaters and left them by my desk witha note saying "keep warm for geocaching?" and for christmas gave me a little kids plastic backpack filled with candy and pens and stuff - for geocaching, she said. I told her I'd have to eat the candy, but the rest was good to put in a cache. And sometimes I think do I really want all these other people out in the woods?

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

quote:
Originally posted by Rocket Man:

Rocket Man you left off one very popular reaction:

(blank, glassy eyed stare) "What is GPS?" icon_biggrin.gif

Best of the season, Olar

"Today really is Yesterday's Tomorrow"

The reactions I get run all the way from 'That sounds dorky!' to 'That sounds cool!' and everyting in between.

My first reaction was on the 'dorky' side of the spectrum. I work as a surveyor and was working with one of the professors at the local State College on a project in GPS navigation using handhelds GPSr's. I stumbled on the Geocache website while doing some of my research. My immediate thought was 'What a bunch of geeks!'. ...then I tried one ...then another... and another.

Guess who's a geek now?

...That'd be me.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

I usually get the "Uh Huh...That's nice" accompanied by a blank stare and the hand moving slowly towards the pepper spray.

But then I get that when I'm not talking about Geocaching also.

The strangest reaction that I got was from my cousin-in-law:

I told him Geocaching...People hide caches in the woods and other folks try to find them using a GPS.

"So, people put cash in the woods?"

No, a cache, C-A-C-H-E, is a small container full of trinkets.

"So how much cash are in these containers?"

No, the containers don't have any cash in them, they're full of toys and cheap goodies.

"So, someone took the cash and put in toys? How much are the toys worth?"

They're worth nothing.

"So why do you want to go out and find them if there's no cash?"

And on and on...

I wanted so much to say "Third-base..."

The other day i was out scouting places and i had a lady walker stop and ask me what i was doing...she saw me with my GPS and scribbling notes in my lil book and taking some pics...and as i explained to her, she got that look of relief over her face like i wasn't a terrorist and figuring out where to drop that bio weapon that i might have...told her about the website and answered all her questions that i could...at least the police didn't show up after she left!

Darkmoon

icon_biggrin.gif

No, I am not lost...i am where I am suppose to be...I think?

Here is a list of reactions I get:

• "You Do What in Your Spare Time?"

"Why"

"That's Stupid"

"You Have Way Too Much Time On Your Hands"

"You Are Nutz"

"Oh That Sounds Like A Lot Of Fun" (sarcastically)

"Your Weird"

"Get A Life"

I have a lot of supporting friends Don't I?

I did get some better reactions from some of more intelligent people I know. Both of them think it sounded like a lot of fun. But didn't want to try it.

Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

On my very first cache on Shelter Island in San Diego, A gentleman's dog ran up to me. I had already found the cache but was waiting till he passed by to put it back. Well....he didn't go because the dog wouldnt go...so I had to tell him the reason for my loitering. He had just finished a murder mystery book and screenplay based on internet dating and was very interested in Geocaching as an element of his next book. He walks the Island every day. His name is Hector, his dog is a 13yr old spaniel named Jake and he lives on a boat called Dreamer, in case you run into him here. icon_smile.gif

PS. I told him not to put a bomb in any caches in his book, as it was sooooo uncreative and predictable. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by GeoNutz:

I have a lot of supporting friends Don't I?

I did get some better reactions from some of more intelligent people I know. _Both of them_ think it sounded like a lot of fun. But didn't want to try it.QUOTE]

Several of my friends and even my bother has gone out and bought GPS's and signed up here after i explained what me and my wife do for fun! Now some of my other friends do think that i need a life but they are the ones that i usually avoid anyway (they thought that my rock hounding and playing paintball is strange) ! LOL

Darkmoon

No, I am not lost...i am where I am suppose to be...I think?

When my brother (Darkmoon) told me about it. I was intrigued. He explained it to me, guide me onto this sight and no I am hooked. I have talked to the guys I work with and they don't seem to get it. Of course they are the same ones that don't understand that I like to rock climb, jump out of perfectly good planes and play paintball!!!

From people that know me they find it cool since before i cached, i was always in the woods..

Being in my mid 20's a lot of people my age are wrapped up in shopping drinking and relationship drama and just don't get it. they would rather watch some one do it on TV.... Borring but oh well

Mom loves that i do it and gets all excited when my T/B's move cache to cache

quote:
Is there something wrong with the posting of Polls?

This poll is not tallying any votes

I didn't vote because I get all of the above plus a lot of something elses many of which others have already mentioned. My social group is mostly middle aged and above and I get a lot of blank looks and "What's a GPS?"

Neva P icon_rolleyes.gif

Almost everyone I talk to about caching, I meet on the trail. I never try to hide what I am doing because nearly all the people that are out hiking share many of the same interests that we (the geocaching community) have. There are many logs about people "hiding" the activity. Share what you do and be a salesperson for the sport.

I got an interesting reaction today from joggers near where I was seeking out a cache. Then I realized I looked a bit like a naturalist. So I began to approach some bird houses on poles, placed by park officials, as if I was interested, (I was). Then I was ok, I was not a terrorist, mugger or geocacher. I think I'll use that sort of ploy more in the future. I'm getting a geocache patch to ware like an official shoulder patch of some kind, (from a distance). I plan to put it on a forrest green shirt. I ware an aussie bush hat.... .. what a geek! ... KOOL!

G E E K

G - geocacher

E - entering (or something)

E - (help me here)

K - ( ok.. ?? more help required)

** The worst suggestion of a life time may be the catalyst to the best idea of the century, don't fail to listen to suggestions.

I have found if I start by saying, "I really like hiking", its sets their mind straight as to what a mojority of the activity is like. Then I can add how sometimes a hunt is a challenging hike, where you are trying to find something. Then I add the techie part of things and they usually receive it pretty well. A lot of folks seem interested in trying it.

But if you start by saying, "I've got this little box that tells me where someting is and I just follow the arrow", I could see how some would think it was pretty easy and therefore not very fun. I always make sure and tell people the GPSR does not tell me exactly where something is - it just gets me into the vicinity.

Lou

When my mom mentioned it in passing one day about 2 months ago, that her and my sister wanted a GPSr for this geocaching thing...

I said "What???? What are you talking about?"

She said "geocaching"

I said "What is THAT??"

After she explained, I said "And you guys have known about this for a few months and are just NOW telling ME about it???"

I was still a little skeptical. And then I went and found one. And I'm hooked!