Junky Cache's???!!

I was just wondering if anyone has heard or come upon a cache that had nothing in it but junky old stuff people dumped from their own homes. I was just curious... my other half and I have come upon a cache that was created for kids and in it were some cool toys but sme of the little stuffed animals were dirty and trashy. Just wondering! icon_rolleyes.gif

Sad, but true. In my experiance (2 months & 20 caches), most cachers trade down. I started out trading items, but now only do it if my 3-year-old is 'treasure hunting'. Now, if I do leave something, I rarely take anything. I would like to be organized enough that I have several items $3-5 value to place when I cache.

"I've never been lost. However, I did misplace the camp for a few days." - Daniel Boone

Around here, it seems the value of the average item goes down, but the caches get completely stuffed. A lot of people (myself included, usually) tend to take nothing, but leave a small something. Others tend to take something, and leave something not nearly as nice. What starts out as a cache with 8 nice items ends up as a cache with 25 small cheap items.

Personally, I prefer taking smaller items, if they're nice. I'll take a pin or small badge every time I find one. I carry a pretty good variety of things to trade, and I always try to leave at least as much as I take, if not a little more.

25021_1200.gif

Yeah, I agree, Renegade Knight. I'd remove stuff to get the cache closed, too.

I keep a bunch of trade items in my backpack. I only put into caches things that I would be happy to give to my kids or my own mother. If I think the thing is junky at all, I don't use it as a trade item.

It's such a judgment call, though. Take McDonald's Happy Meal toys: some are just awful, but their Lego series was really nice! We didn't get many of the Lego ones, and have only been putting them into selected caches.

I also take into consideration the situation. When a cacher replaced a missing cache the evening he was to catch a flight, I was so impressed that I put a couple of extra items into the cache just to sweeten the pot a bit. For an overstuffed cache, I might deliberately take one big item, and leave a couple of nice smaller items in its place.

Shannah

My son and I went caching recently and he was stung twice by bees. Since I carry the all purpose first aid kit we did fine with the patching up of the wound (such as they were) and moved on. The idea being that the cache would make him feel better.

We got to the cache, found it and were severely disappointed. It was just full of junk. About 5 used and dirty toys, one band-aid and the logbook. The cache container was a nice large one, but it was barely 1/2 full.

The opposite of that occurred also, we found a cache close to our home and the contents were good quality (computer mouse, cd, travel bug, state quarters, etc...).

Both high and low quality caches are out there. It's up to us to improve some and maintain others. I think the responsibility is to trade fair, but not many people are responsible.

Perhaps this belongs in another thread, but in caches here 'round the DC area, I recently found a condom (unused...thank God! [Daddy, what's this? Uh, ask your mother!]) and a packaged hemorrhoid suppository--one in a package made for two!

Along with the customary McToys and the ubiquitous religious bookmarks/pamphlets and business keychains, I have found some quality stuff. I always try to leave worthwhile trade goodies...and I do remove scraps of paper/bandaids and other dreck that I find in caches. icon_eek.gif

"When the chips are down, the buffalo are empty."

I agree with everything that has been said so far. The easiest cach I found, had some of the cooler stuff. The hardest cach I found, had some of the lousiest. I read in the log what people leave, and sometimes I have to laugh. One person took a five dollar bill, and left 3 pencils.

I always beleive in leaving something equal in trade or less. I usually leave either a carabiner, or some of my polished rocks I find while caching and put through my rock tumbler. Even though the rocks were free to me, it takes a month to complete a rock tumbling cycle.

My point is, I leave something interesting, and equal or greater value. Leave the pencils, erasers, and pogs at home!!!

The first truth of geocaching states, "No matter how worthless the items placed in a cache are, they will be replaced with items of lesser value."

I spend a reasonable amount of time, effort and consideration in maintaining my caches. I don't spend much money, but used books, cds, homemade crafts, and unusual items are inexpensive yet have value as cache items. I restock my caches often. I have started placing custom maps & trail guides for local areas in my caches as well. I try to keep my caches interesting.

When seeking caches I almost always leave more than I take, except for that 100 foot of parachute cord I took in exchange for a deck of cards. I never leave food.

[This message was edited by solohiker on July 19, 2002 at 04:05 PM.]

I've found a lot of junky caches, where people basically throw useless junk in a not really waterproof container, and stick one piece of paper in there and call that the log book. I am one though that always leaves something better then what I take. Normally I take one thing and leave at least one good thing, and maybe a few more little things if theres room. The people I cache with always says I leave to good of stuff, but I feel this is necessary to keep the cache good.

jhwf4

quote:
Originally posted by PioneerGal:

My son and I went caching recently and he was stung twice by bees. Since I carry the all purpose first aid kit we did fine with the patching up of the wound (such as they were) and moved on. The idea being that the cache would make him feel better.

We got to the cache, found it and were severely disappointed. It was just full of junk. About 5 used and dirty toys, one band-aid and the logbook. The cache container was a nice large one, but it was barely 1/2 full.

The opposite of that occurred also, we found a cache close to our home and the contents were good quality (computer mouse, cd, travel bug, state quarters, etc...).

Both high and low quality caches are out there. It's up to us to improve some and maintain others. I think the responsibility is to trade fair, but not many people are responsible.

I'm glad you found good caches, too. Younger ones really get into the stash part of geocaching, so I can only imagine how he was feeling after bee stings and a junky cache. But it is an opportunity to teach about the 'trade up' philosophy. I've noticed that young ones often understand more than we credit them for!

Keep on caching,

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

I dont even trade if the thing is filled with junk. I may bring some cheaper things to trade for cheaper things. I just wish people would trade for equal things more. I just placed 5 caches with some nice stuff in it and I hope that they don't get trashed. They are harder to get to so I hope those that find them will trade up, there is stuff like, dvds, star wars figures in store cases, etc.

Nearly all caches degrade over time. My caches are usually well stocked when I place them, but after a dozen or so finds, the are filled with junk. During a recent maintenance trip I found a used Metrocard and a wrapped tampon (at least it was just the Metrocard that was used). I tossed the card and after some thought, left the tampon. In another cache I found a single, individually wrapped Lifesaver. Obviously someone had some leftover Halloween candy, but not a lot, because they were certainly stingy with it (not that I approve of food in caches anyway).

Funny how everybody in these forums say they either trade up, or leave stuff and take nothing, but most caches "go to seed" after a few months.

This is why its important to visit your caches periodically. I try to do so. The frequency of my visits depends on the amount of activity that the cache has seen. The more visits, the more frequently I have to re-seed the cache.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Funny how everybody in these forums say they either trade up, or leave stuff and take nothing, but most caches "go to seed" after a few months.

I agree here, but I also think that "we here in the forums" really understand what the game of GeoCaching is really about. For example, when I find a cache, I rarely ever take something, but I always leave something. To me, picturing the next person finding the cool toy, polished rock, money from a different country, etc is more fun in my mind than taking something I would probably not use...

Also, it AMAZES me how many people don't log their finds on the web! I just recently hid my first cache and within a week, 6 people had found it. Wahoo! 6 People! So, I went to check on the cache to make sure it was still hidden well and stocked. When I read the logbook, 15, yes 15, people had found it! So, 9 other people had found it and probably took the cool stuff and left the used band-aid, the pinecone, and one other "dumb" item. Kinda bummed me out...

And that brings up an interesting question. (In my mind anyway? icon_smile.gif ) How many people do you think only come onto the site and grab the cache info, go out to find the cache and don't log it? And then don't even fill out the log? I bet it happens alot more than you would think

quote:
Originally posted by Grizz1:

How many people do you think only come onto the site and grab the cache info, go out to find the cache and don't log it? And then don't even fill out the log? I bet it happens alot more than you would think

It's impossible to say, unless someone does 24hr surveillance on their caches, but no doubt it does happen.

From maintenance visits to my own caches, I can say that a total of 3 people have signed the logbooks and not posted online logs; one of those wrote in the logbook that it was an accidental find.

quote:
Originally posted by Jubei Kibagami(God of the Blade):

I dont even trade if the thing is filled with junk. I may bring some cheaper things to trade for cheaper things. I just wish people would trade for equal things more. I just placed 5 caches with some nice stuff in it and I hope that they don't get trashed. They are harder to get to so I hope those that find them will trade up, there is stuff like, dvds, star wars figures in store cases, etc.

You are screwed. Your nice stuff will turn to junk! It is the first truth of geocaching:-)

I don't really mind anymore. I put my caches in areas I like to hike and I visit them often. I know that posters and non-posters visit my caches and the value always degrades. I just stuff them with more junk!

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

You are screwed. Your nice stuff will turn to junk! It is the first truth of geocaching:-)

I don't really mind anymore. I put my caches in areas I like to hike and I visit them often. I know that posters and non-posters visit my caches and the value always degrades. I just stuff them with more junk!

Yeah, thats why the star wars characters are $4.88 and and then I have some attack of the clone cards that weren't too much. I spent about $8 on each of the caches. I might put some good stuff I find around the house in the the 5th Jedi Test that I'm doing next week. I don't think too many people will be going to that cache. It may be too hard for some, maybe even me, who knows. Next week will tell.

quote:

I thought the first truth of geocaching is we are required to discuss junky caches and trading down each month on the forums. icon_smile.gif

--- yrium ---

quote:
Originally posted by yrium:

I thought the first truth of geocaching is we are required to discuss junky caches and trading down each month on the forums. icon_smile.gif

--- yrium ---

Almost as long as I can remember and I'm sure it will continue. It's easy to understand why though. As I (and others) say whenever this comes up it helps if you make the cache a themed one. I have two themed caches (a CD one and a LOTR one) and I'm pleased with the way people have traded in both. In fact I think the LOTR OVERALL actually may have went up. Granted some people did sort of trade down but at least it was trades for other LOTR stuff so the cache is never (I hope) total bunk.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

All this reminds me of the lunchroom at my workplace, where everything gets messed up quickly. It's like everyone trading down in quality till it needs to be cleaned up or replaced. Im just surprised that the cheap microwave has not been distroyed yet, like everything else has. It is people with nothing better to do, that they will trash anything, including caches. Adults need to teach others about keeping caches clean, and picking up liter too.

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

quote:
Originally posted by Acceptable Risk:

I usually try to leave "adult" toys since it seems most are full of toys... DVDs, Tool Kits, Those cool stuffed animals from REI, etc...

I don't have kids so I would like to see people leave more "adult" type of stuff... So I do the same...

Could not agree more! I recently have been scouring hardware stores, ran across a collapsing screw driver that was on sale for 50 cents. Bought several, they are all gone into the hands of the geocachers who found my caches. I prefer no rules other than the golden one, and try to live by it. As for McToys, given the number of families who do this, I would like to see it be OK for them to be there, just not the garbage.

I try to trade a little something at each cache I find, but if I find the cache is filled with junk, I just log the find and leave a little something. I suppose the value of an item left might be subjective. For instance, I sometimes leave arrowheads that I make out of obsidian. These have some value to those that are interested in that sort of thing, but might be considered junk by others.

I would have to agree with "The First Rule of Geocaching" though. The first cache I've placed does appear to be degrading rather rapidly. Fortunately I don't live too far from it and can restock it easily.

For the caches I plant, I just figure thats the way they'll go. For the caches I find, well, I'm in it for the hike, hunt, and views anyway. I must say though, it's a little more fun finding a traditional cache filled with goodies, than a micro cache with simply a log book. icon_smile.gif

quote:

When seeking caches I almost always leave more than I take, except for that 100 foot of parachute cord I took in exchange for a deck of cards. I never leave food.

Solohiker, I've not been following you around verifying what you take and what you leave, but the fact that you mentioned an uneven trade at all speaks volumes to me. Of the 43 caches listed under your profile as of this writing, I'll bet you left something worth much more in 40 of those, or at least didn't take anything.

I traded fairly for a Koosh in one cache. I still feel bad about it, not because I traded down but because the Koosh would have been loved by a kid. I made a Travel Bug out of it and hope it's brought joy to others.

If only more cachers traded like Solohiker this would be truly cool hobby.

Watching my caches turn to junk, feels a lot like the gratitude the birds show for feeding, by pooping all over my back yard. It's not about money, but a lack of respect and empathy for others that I find repugnant.

I carry a kind of mobile cache with me ever since coming across one that had nothing but a plastic ruler in it.

The cache allows me to fix any that need it. Spare bags, log book, pencils, etc.

As most of the caches I visit take me somewhere with a gift shop or similar, I now try and buy something each time to put into my 'cache' as a swap.

My kids enjoy the treasure bit and as I have 4 of them there is the potential for them to empty a cache so I have to be ready to 'restock' it.

Many Geocachers seem to be families and I think we should all try to improve a cache to keep the rug rats encouraged.

(--serious (are you kidding, from majicman!)--)

Just read my SIG, you all know how I feel about this!

(--serious condition fading now, thank Hare Krishna!--)

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

Watching my caches turn to junk, feels a lot like the gratitude the birds show for feeding, by pooping all over my back yard. It's not about money, but a lack of respect and empathy for others that I find repugnant.

Absolutely! Today I found a cache that has been out there a while. In it were some rocks, the kind we could find looking for the cache, some used eyedrops - like I would actually use those in my eyes - a beer cap (at least I think it was beer) not being a beer cap collector I couldn't really tell you if a beer cap with the word Bass on it was valuable or not and a sea shell - the kind you get when you buy a really BIG bag of shells at the beach. There were only a couple of nice things left and two dollar bills. So we took the money and a carabineer - cool thing but what does one actually DO with it - and left two new geocoins from geotreasures, some handmade sig items and a collectors superbowl pin. All in all, about $15 worth. I get the pleasure out of seeing if the next person along takes what I have left. I just wish I could walk away with something neat once in a while.

[ ]

quote:

Well, maybe if you built them a little outhouse, you wouldn't have that problem. icon_wink.gif

I really wasn’t sure if I should respond to this or not. I don’t want to insult any of the cachers who’ve found mine. Most of them are really great people but have left absolute junk in the cache. I usually seed my caches with Air Force patches ($) and the like. Here’s a sample:

· ….left a metal rod (a piston, perhaps? Let me know if you figure out what it is)…..

· …..I realized I had nothing to trade. I couldn't just take it, so I was a little bummed. …….. Walking to the cache, I found a battery operated flashing reflector…….

· …….left a golf ball that I found at the last minute and took a patch…..

Another thing I like to put into the cache are those ready to drink canned coffees, some from starbucks but some I got over in Japan with Japanese writing on them. (Hoping that doesn’t violate the food rule but don’t care if it does) It’s a bummer to see the cache slowly evolve into a trache container instead of cache container. As for me, I usually take nothing and leave something.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

So are handmade things "good things" for a cache? I've been making little knit bags and stuffed bunnies to put in caches. I think they are cute, and they are something I would want, and I can make a bunch of them for not too much money, (the husband has placed a moratorium on spending for my 1,001 hobbies. icon_rolleyes.gif ). Each one is different, and they are made by little ole me. icon_biggrin.gif

But not everyone thinks handmade items are nice; some people think they are absolute crapola, (like my family...but that is for another thread, I think).

Do you think it's a good idea, or should I find another venue for my handknit bunny production? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Arizabif:

But not everyone thinks handmade items are nice; some people think they are absolute crapola, (like my family...but that is for another thread, I think).

Do you think it's a good idea, or should I find another venue for my handknit bunny production? icon_biggrin.gif

I'd say go for it! Though I personally probably would not take one (and I don't know if it would be a fair trade for a couple DVD's) it definately sounds better then a lot of the stuff I've found in caches. Presentation may also help. Make up a little card or certificate something that says hand crafted by Arizabif or something like that and put it in a ziplock bag with da bunny. Once again I wouldn't take it but I'd at least think better of it knowing it was "fresh" and not some toy box throw away.

After you do that keep an eye on the caches you placed them in. See if anyone mentions taking it or not. If you have a bunch out there and no one takes them there probably isn't much interest. When I first started caching I placed tons of dragonballz cardpacks that I picked up really really cheap. They were clearenced out at a drastic price cut. Anyway I figured what the heck, and after I noticed the initial ones I placed were quickly snagged up and people were logging how thrilled their kids were to find them, I went and bought a box of them so I had a cheap for me gift that would have cost others substantialy more and that were really popular.....anyway I'm done rambling. Point is watch the caches you place them in and see if people like them or not.

"...Not all those who wander are lost..."

[This message was edited by mikechim on July 21, 2002 at 11:32 PM.]

[This message was edited by mikechim on July 22, 2002 at 12:32 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Mushu:

Solohiker, I've not been following you around verifying what you take and what you leave, but the fact that you mentioned an uneven trade at all speaks volumes to me. Of the 43 caches listed under your profile as of this writing, I'll bet you left something worth much more in 40 of those, or at least didn't take anything.

If only more cachers traded like Solohiker this would be truly cool hobby.

The second truth of geocaching is that it attacts people with obsessive compulsive disorders.

You really checked every cache I have logged? Spooky ;-0

I seen caches with great stuff in them but over time people just don't replace it with stuff that it seems they put any thought into.Mybe some people see geocaching as "Man look what I traded for an old broken keychain" I got a swiss army card out of a cache one time and all we brought was an unopen Hot Wheel so I put 5 bucks in the cache.I just felt better.Man that has been one handy tool.Thanks to the cacher who left it,You are first class.

When upinyachit decides to go on a cache, we never never assume that the cache is loaded with goodies, because if it's not, that only leads to shattered dreams! LOLOL icon_eek.gif

Don't get me wrong, we have traded some very nice items from caches, but we usually put the items right back into the next cache we find or hide. If we did ever come across a cache with just dog

food and a pen, we would appreciate the find and assume the owner is too busy or too far away to maintain the cache.

We all know that there is at least one bad apple in the bunch that won't trade fair. icon_rolleyes.gif

We believe that if a cache hasn't been found in a

reasonable amount of time, or your log reports indicate a lot of visits then it's up to the cache owner to beef it up. icon_wink.gif

Duane from

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

...Another thing I like to put into the cache are those ready to drink canned coffees, some from starbucks but some I got over in Japan with Japanese writing on them. (Hoping that doesn’t violate the food rule but don’t care if it does)...

I don't know if it violates food since it is in a can and there probably isn't much of an odor to attract animals. However, I would point out one thing that I have read about liquid items. It made a lot of sense and was interesting. I think I saw it on a Wisconsin Geocaching site. Sorry don't recall the URL.

If the weather in your area does get cold enough for a good freeze remember that liquids will freeze, expand and explode. That could really mess up your cache. Before winter arrives you might want to make sure your caches are free of such items. Of course, for now, that is probably not an issue.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

Hey Criminal!

If I answer your sig questions, will you remove them and ask something different?

Answer:

No, it is bought with the price

Of all that a man hath, his house, his wife, his children.

Wisdom is sold in the desolate market where none come to buy,

And in the wither'd field where the farmer plows for bread in vain.

(Jeez, that's depressing!)

--majicman

BigSig rules to live by:

1.) Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive!

2.) There is NO... Rule #2.

3.) NEVER get "off-topic." These threads are ALL far too serious for that!