Cache container brag board

In Amateur Radio, we have "Fox Hunting." This is like Geocaching but you follow a transmitter signal instead of using a GPS. Now, the final portion of the find is the same.

Knowing that, I must say that the Fox Hunters get more clever at chosing a good container. I'm still new to caching but the best I've heard about is a Tree Stump bucket... while that's darn good, it doesn't place when compared to what I've seen. (This is a challenge, not an attack people).

One "Fox" was a street crossing button on a pole mounted on the sidewalk, but there was no Walk/Wait lights anywhere around. (not a good idea to damage public property in mounting bolts into cement, but who would have thunk?)

How about a floating pool chlorinator in a pool with a transmitter inside (rather than chlorine - which would eat metal).

Another "Fox" was a water faucet mounted on a wooden pole and placed in a park. The handle was removed to prevent someone from touching it to get water (there was no water - just a transmitter with the water line and faucet being the antenna).

Cachers have a great nack for hidding but I've yet to find any clever containers. I'd guess they're out there but I haven't found them.

I look forward to seeing/reading more cache container ideas. I'll have a photo submitted here after I use the caches. I don't want to give up the clue of the hunts I'm planning but I will say, "Think outside the normal."

Bill of Green Achers

"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"

The difference I see is that I'm assuming tracking a radio signal is more cut and dry than GPS. It's either getting stonger or weaker, so if it's pointing to an odd object you know they did a great hiding job. With GPS you can stand in one spot and the distance can jump by 20', if you didn't have a clue stating it was hid in such and such object, I think most people would assume the GPS is pointing in the wrong direction than look for the cache up a faucet.

cool_shades.gif ---I will stand out, I am a raven in the snow.

Sorry to everyone else but I'm going to see what George is up to. My clever (or maybe not so) is going to be planted in the same city... Do you think that will be the collection area of all the clever cache containers??

Keep your eye out for my Tracy Triangle cache (scheduled to be submitted next weekend I hope). Also, watch out 'cause R.S. is in his garage working on caching (that could only be good stuff)! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Bill of Green Achers

Sorry to everyone else but I'm going to see what George is up to. My clever (or maybe not so) is going to be planted in the same city... Do you think that will be the collection area of all the clever cache containers??

Keep your eye out for my Tracy Triangle cache (scheduled to be submitted next weekend I hope). Also, watch out 'cause R.S. is in his garage working on caching (that could only be good stuff)! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=33279

Been there. Good job George of thinking outside the box. That's what I'm talking about when I use a Fox Hunters "fox" to challenge Geocachers. Wish I could say more without spoiling the cache for others.

My submission is Centroid of the Tracy Triangle. You can look it up and hunt it or wait until I'm ready to close it and I post a photo.

Chia Pet?? I saw a guy on TV that grows grass on everything (cars, jackets, etc). He used a glue to hold the seeds with they sprout. Speaking of glue, I'm thinking of using glue and rolling the cache on the planting area for a perfect match... that will be in the future.

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by Seay me:

I was in the sports secton at Target and saw some of the decoy ducks. I thought that would be interesting to use....the ones I saw were hollow.

Chip

On this same note, my wife and I were in the local Wal-Mart a couple months ago, and we saw this plastic deer. What was cool about it was that it made for archery practice, so it had this removable vital organs section that was the perfect size for a 50 cal. ammo can. Alas, we couldn't justify the $80.- price tag.

Lost? I'm not lost. At least I don't think I'm lost, well............OK, maybe just a little.

quote:
Originally posted by Irvingdog:

Alright folks. I'm sure this has been done before, but I want to see them. Creative containers, paint jobs, big and small. Lets post some photo's and see what you are most proud of!

This thread is potentially very interesting but no one's willing to give up their secrets! icon_biggrin.gif

So, short of shelling out 80 bucks, how about taking an already downed branch home. You could then machine out a section and custom fit it back together. When it's returned to the place it was collected, it will match to a tee! icon_wink.gif

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by Irvingdog:

Alright folks. I'm sure this has been done before, but I want to see them. Creative containers, paint jobs, big and small. Lets post some photo's and see what you are most proud of!

This thread is potentially very interesting but no one's willing to give up their secrets! icon_biggrin.gif

So, short of shelling out 80 bucks, how about taking an already downed branch home. You could then machine out a section and custom fit it back together. When it's returned to the place it was collected, it will match to a tee! icon_wink.gif

Bill of Green Achers

I dunno if I agree. I've been to some caches where the cacher has asked that no photos be taken and I respect that, and there have been some that are so good that I didn't snap and post a pic just to let the next person have the same fun I did tripping over it. But over-all I figure if someone doesn't want to know what it looks like, they won't look at the pics. If I can't make it out to Siberia and there is a cool cache container there, I'll never get to see it(grin).

In some cases I find when you do place a pic that hints at what the cache itself is all about it generates genuine interest(So do positive text logs though, I'll agree).

I agree that posting photos or even descriptions could ruin the fun, so I'll just list a few Cache URL's for hides in my neck of the woods that have 'special' containers (all different). If you're passing through the Chicagoland/Milwaukee area and you go for unique boxes, you'll enjoy these:

Vincetti's Brush Off

The Road That Never Was

In the Centaur of No Where

The Blarny Stone

Icarus

There are others around here, but these are the first that come to mind...

- Genius Loci

Have you seen Cliffy's unique container?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=15423

If not, go out and hunt this one down just to see the container.

The Chedoke Trail Treasure has an unusual cache container.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=11628

Got any other recommendations for geocaches in Ontario that have unique containers?

Originally posted by Zartimus:

I dunno if I agree. I've been to some caches where the cacher has asked that no photos be taken and I respect that, and there have been some that are so good that I didn't snap and post a pic just to let the next person have the same fun I did tripping over it. But over-all I figure if someone doesn't want to know what it looks like, they won't look at the pics. If I can't make it out to Siberia and there is a cool cache container there, I'll never get to see it(grin).

In some cases I find when you do place a pic that hints at what the cache itself is all about it generates genuine interest(So do positive text logs though, I'll agree).[/quote