PDA Ques?

OK, I confess. I am a techno-reject. A luddite. Geeks laugh at me when I sit near a computer.

Two months ago, I didn't own a cell phone or a PDA. I had no map software -- well, actually I did, but my computer didn't have a CD-ROM drive to install it with. I had a Garmin V but with no maps installed on it. My first 400+ finds were done with paper printouts of maps and cache pages. My only redeeming quality was that I used ClayJar's great Watcher program for organizing my cache hunts (thanks, ClayJar). Fortunately, a number of great geocaching buddies have helped me improve that sorry situation.

Today, I finished stage one of my rehabilitation. I now have a cell phone and GMRS radio, and a Palm Zire 71 with its cool built-in spy camera. (Thanks, Wander Lost, for the demo!) I installed a CD-ROM drive today (thanks to a patient tech support guy who shall remain nameless). I have cache pages on my PDA using Plucker and Spinner (thanks, Lil Devil, for all your work to bring us Spinner). I have maps on my GPS-V (thanks, Bryan!) I have Topo Maps on my PC (thanks, Quest Master!) I was able to convert to a paperless geocacher because of an excellent webpage tutorial (thanks, CYBret!)

The point of all this, is if you are shy about technical stuff, don't hesitate to try Plucker and Spinner. I found it very easy to setup and start using. And don't hesitate to call upon other geocachers for help. I have a dozen or more people still laughing at me.

I still use AOL from a dialup connection on a 5-year old PC running Windows 98. That's phase 2.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.