Don't wanna go to the Iron Bar Motel

DadONine

While I was (unsuccessfully) seeking this cache, I found myself literally neck-deep in marijuana plants! icon_cool.gif This cache is on a fairly heavily used biking/jogging path on an old railroad right-of-way, and while I was searching, an off-duty K9 officer walked by with his big ol' dog. Made me think of what he might have thought had he actually seen me.

Now, nothing happened, and I wasn't foolish enough to try to grab any of this stuff (having grown up long ago), but has anyone found themselves in awkward, difficult-to-explain situations?

C'mon, let's have some stories!

DadONine

Woodbutcher68:

That cache was closer to your home than mine!

But yes, there's tons of it down our way. One time I even saw a flatbed with what at first glance appeared to be a fertilizer tank on the back. As I got closer, it was labeled "Jasper County Marijuana Eradication" or something like that. Buncha guys out looking for weed to spray. Wonder how much they took for themselves. icon_cool.gif

BTW, have any Hoosiers noticed that there are NO caches in Jasper county? That will be changing soon.....

DadONine

Years ago it was planted around here to be used for hemp rope. Those plants did their own reseeding, and have flourished. The police know where the major crops are and keep an eye on them. In the fall they drive the backroads looking for out of state license plates and other vehicles parked along the roads. They manage to get quite a few "farmers and harvesters".

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

There's a fine line between Geocaching and mental illness, I just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

quote:
Originally posted by Woodbutcher68:

Years ago it was planted around here to be used for hemp rope. Those plants did their own reseeding, and have flourished. The police know where the major crops are and keep an eye on them. In the fall they drive the backroads looking for out of state license plates and other vehicles parked along the roads. They manage to get quite a few "farmers and harvesters".

If it's just hemp, why bother? You can't get high from hemp.

-Vb

quote:
Originally posted by Cloak_N_Dagger:

Why didn't you just report your "find" to the K-9 officer so he and his fellow officers could eradicate the weed? That might save some future geocacher a lot of hassle, and put geocaching in good standing with law enforcement.

I didn't realize he was a police officer until I saw the K9 SUV at the trailhead. He was out of uniform and with his daughter on her li'l bike (along with the big ol' dawg). Also, I feel kind of silly walking through the brush when there's a perfectly good paved trail mere feet away.

DadONine

quote:

If it's just hemp, why bother? You can't get high from hemp.

-Vb

Who knows if it was just hemp? There's also a problem with people planting surreptitious crops on public lands. In Illinois, the forest preserves are frequent locations for marijuana crops, we're talking about real live drug traffickers growing the stuff. In Kentucky, I have heard it is among the top cash crops, often grown in between rows in cornfields. The stuff is rather hardy.

I would NOT assume it's hemp. Probably some local pothead spilled his stash that had a bunch of seeds in it, or possibly saw a good place to plant a crop away from the prying eyes of law enforcement.

DadONine

quote:
Originally posted by DadONine:

C'mon, let's have some stories!

DadONine

Now that you reminded me. This one was an interesting find for us last year. Down in the river part where this one is located are a bunch of horse trails running through the arunda (type of bamboo). We walked down the horse trails and got to the spot where the cache was when I realized that we had to go into this arunda. There was a small hole to go through. Ok. Fine. I have my son, who's celebrating his 11th birthday, his two friends on their first cache hunt and their mother whom I've just met this morning.

We climb into this arunda and find the cache straightaway. It was a like a big room with arunda for walls, which wasn't so bad, but just as we decided that it was time to go, here come three horses down the trail. Ok. Now we decided to wait in the arunda since we figured it would be better than come crashing out of the bushes and spook the horses. Well, the two women who were riding were having trouble with their horses, apparently because this was their first time riding, or perhaps the horses could smell us? Either way, they decided to stop there and have a conversation. Here I am, stuck in the bushes with three young boys and a woman I hardly know, probably more uncomfortable for her than I, but still it wasn't the most pleasant of circumstances.

The horses moved on about 15 minutes later and we were able to make our escape. The woman enjoyed the caching enough that she went out and bought a GPS unit the following week, but she told me on Saturday that it's still in it's original box.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

icon_smile.gif A bit of histroy, George Washington (the father of our country) had several Marijuana Farms (Hemp) Also the term "Smoking Dope / Smoking Rope" came from the old sailing days when the sailors on their off time would whack off a piece rope (hemp) and light up.

Yes during the second world war there were a zillon acres of hemp (Marijuana) grown in the mid-west for the war effort ~~~~~ and yes you can get high on smoking "HEMP" or ingesting it! icon_rolleyes.gif

Mzee ~~~ "And now where"

quote:
Originally posted by Mzee & Associates:

icon_smile.gif A bit of histroy, George Washington (the father of our country) had several Marijuna Farms (Hemp) Also the term "Smoking Dope / Smoking Rope" came from the old sailing days when the sailors on their off time would whack off a piece rope (hemp) and light up.

Yes during the second world war there were a zillon acres of hemp (Marijina) grown in the mid-west for the war effort ~~~~~

A bit more history:

"Hemp is cannabis grown specifically for industrial use and thus contains very low levels of cannabinoids (THC). The use of hemp dates back many thousands of years. Properly grown hemp has virtually no psychoactive (intoxicating) effects when consumed. "

(from http://www.hempnation.com)

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

Ditch weed has gotten a bad rap. There's really nothing wrong with it.

SORT OF ON TOPIC: Not caching, but flying my hot air balloon many years ago in Iowa, I inadvertantly landed in a very large field of marijuana. My chase crew was on the way into the field when I radioed them and screamed, "abort, abort." I never explained to anyone why, I just called it a "touch and go!" (I was flying in the hot air balloon national championships; there were official observers with my crew, and I just didn't want to get the ballooning community involved in a "bad rap.")

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**