Awesome alternative cache container!

agentblue

My roommate and I are both rather athletic and gulp down gatoraide by the gallon. We usually buy the powdered form which comes in an orange watertight container about 4.5" deep and 3.5" wide. It's a really durable container who's small size could be a challenge for even the best hunter!

geocache.jpg

"Not all who wander are lost..." -Tolkien

I have been eyeing those 1/2 gallon size juice jugs that are insulated and have large screw top....

Have seen many in Slavation Army or Savers "thrift" stores... about a $1....

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------

Now where did you get the gatorade containers like that? I know you said it is what the powdered variety comes in but I've not seen them anywhere. I'm an ammo can freak my self but I could see throwing a couple in ones like that to throw off some of the regulars...lol.

icon_biggrin.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

If you check with your local soda bottler, you can get what are known as 'preforms', these are testtube like plastic vials with the bottle cap threads already on them, but the preform has not been blown into a big bottle yet. For a long time, we ( Iused to make them ) would give these to the elderly to put their medical files in,which were then put in their frezzer. Ent's are trained to look there in case the patient is unresponsive. If any one wants some for micro's, I do have a limited supply, and I would be happy to share some for the asking...just ask. I may put some empties in my caches, so please no comments about what they look like... David

I spotted a cheap cache container at Home Depot: a 2.5qt paint mixing bucket $0.99, plus $0.58 for the lid. I'm planning on placing it this weekend.

It's smaller than most Rubbermaid/Tupperware/Ammo Cans, but not by one heck of a lot.

I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know

I personally use cut down paintball pods as a slightly bigger micro container. Use a silicone caulking to make sure the lids are watertight and i use a co2 tank cover in various camouflage patterns to slip over so it is well hidden! Easy to hide and just a different container for others to find!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

No, I am not lost...I am where I am suppose to be...At least I think so? [icon_biggrin.gif]

quote:
Originally posted by Cwlutterloh:

Yea sundance, that sounds like a good alternative to Micros. But where could you get some of those besides at the bottling place?

United Art and Education carries them prepackaged for use in science projects and the like. Unfortunately, they don't have an online store (they have a brick-and-mortar store here) so you'll either have to order a catalog or find a different teacher's supply store near you who might have them. They're fairly expensive if you buy them that way, though, so if you can social-engineer a few out of your local bottler, that's probably the best way to go.

warm.gif

It's interesting the regional differences in containers and even the "subregional" cultures. We have four main areas of cache containers in Chicago: the ammo box, the pill bottle (micros), the PVC and the little thermos.

The PVCs are 4" PVC pipes with expandable internal seals in one end. Some people complain that they are hard to open when cold or too hot (the rubber either freezes or gets too expanded).

The thermos ones seem very similar to this type of box. I've seen the outsides of the containers spray-painted dark blue, deep purple and black. The biggest problem I've heard on complaints is that if anything gets in the threads of the lid, it could be a real bear to open.

Just something to think about. Looks like a cool size.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

My only concern would be if they are water tight or not. My gatorade powder gets hard after a while which I suspect is from moisture getting through the lid. If they do remain water tight they should be great! I did use a peanut butter container which has stayed water tight and it's the same size. And I soaked it in bleach by the way.

I've used ammo cans and I got another one prepared but at several locations, they'd be too difficult to hide.

I'm thinking of painting an altoid tin container flat black, and then using a magnet to stick them to any metal signs or posts in the area.

It seems to me it would be environmentally friendly as no holes to dig, nothing to move about, and simply unstick and leave if you must.

This of course would be a micro cache. You could get some credit card sized items and perhaps a key-chain or two into it though.

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

For smaller caches, a good container is an olive drab plastic decontamination kit container. They are about 3"x4"x5" (8cm x 10cm x 13cm). They have a black rubber gasket in the lid that makes them pretty water resistant. You can get them at military surplus places. I bought mine online after reading a geocache tip, but can't remember who I got them from now.

42851_300.jpg

Parsa

quote:
Originally posted by arrowroot:

I spotted a cheap cache container at Home Depot: a 2.5qt paint mixing bucket $0.99, plus $0.58 for the lid. I'm planning on placing it this weekend.

It's smaller than most Rubbermaid/Tupperware/Ammo Cans, but not by one heck of a lot.

_I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know_

Just remember to mention something on the cache page about bringing a screwdriver.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

quote:
Originally posted by arrowroot:

I spotted a cheap cache container at Home Depot: a 2.5qt paint mixing bucket...

Just remember to mention something on the cache page about bringing a screwdriver.

Nononono. Plastic, with a simple lid. No tabs, no metal, etc. Clear, even.

I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know

I considered using regular paint cans early on. You could probably get used ones free from painters. I bought a shiny new one from a paint store. It was pretty pricy and not painted. I had meant to attach a big washer to its handle with a string, to be used to open it. They are not easy to close tightly though without a pounder of some sort. I decided to not use them. I bought 10 ammo cans from Cheaper Than Dirt and love them. I dislike Tupperware I find other people using beause most let in considerable moisture after time--and a lot of them just aren't big enough to hold bigger items I like to include. The large-mouthed plastic pretzel jars are pretty good, and free if you like pretzels. The mouth isn't big enough for a video tape etc. though.

quote:
Altoids

I'm thinking of painting an altoid tin container flat black, and then using a magnet to stick them to any metal signs or posts in the area.

Just be sure to place the tin out of the weather! They are *not* weatherproof and will not only result in a wet logbook, but they rust quickly.

The Altoids tin is a great urban cache container when placed with this in mind.

Does anyone want to talk about geocaching?

www.texasgeocaching.com