Geocaching companion sought

Actually, in all seriousness, I just thought of something. Most people in a particular area don't read the forums, but they do get a list of all of the caches in an area.

Find a good spot and place a cache. On the cache page briefly let people know you'd like a cachin' partner and point to you profile. On your profile page give your particulars. (Probably want to add the "looking" statement after the cache has been approved.)

If you are a paid member you can make that cache a subscription only cache and that may make it a little safer.

A better way to do it, IMHO, and safer for ladies is to introduce caching to a trusted friend. It's alright to meet new people, but to be alone with a not-complete stranger in the woods who might have different ideas than you do? I wouldn't want my daughter doing that.

Just a thought.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Just a quick thought in this paranoid world...

When Fallenfaery was looking for a caching helper, I jumped at the chance. My wife looked at me like I was from Mars. Why would I go out in the woods with a total stranger?

I was OK with it, but I was also very glad that Dad and the Dynamic Duo (minus one) could accompany us. Everything turned out great, and I've got some new caching friends.

My point? Might be good for a small group or pair of experienced cachers to go out together with the newbie on the first hunt(s). Once y'all get to know one another, there's that many more combinations of people that might be able to go on a given day.

God forbid, some creepo either is trolling for unsuspecting Geocachers, or some creepo Geocacher decides he'd GLADLY take a female out in the woods - a group setting might be better.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I doubt many "creepos" are lurking in the Geocaching forums waiting for a female geocacher to post a note looking for someone else to hunt with. They'd have to wait a pretty long time between posts.

Not that joining up with several Geocachers for a hunt is a bad idea.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by Ttepee:

Hi outdoors lady... I'm across the river in southern dutchess county... solo female cacher here too. Drop an email this way...see what happens.

Call me too! Ttepee knows I'm right over the border and head that way when ever possible. We talked about hunting in Harriman next and I'd love to join you. The more the merrier.

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

I know at times I can be way too naive. For some reason I thought that all geocachers had to be good people. Given I lucked out in this case icon_smile.gif Than again I had already figured out what Markwelled meant and figured he'd be safe and great help. You should have seen the looks i got from my assistants at school when i said i was going Geocaching (first had to explain this) with this guy from the site that i didn't know. It was awesome to cache with the both of them. and next time i have a weekend that i can cache i'm going to look up centuar to cache icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

When Fallenfaery was looking for a caching helper, I jumped at the chance. My wife looked at me like I was from Mars. Why would I go out in the woods with a total stranger?

I was OK with it, but I was also very glad that Dad and the Dynamic Duo (minus one) could accompany us. Everything turned out great, and I've got some new caching friends.

_My point?_ Might be good for a small group or pair of experienced cachers to go out together with the newbie on the first hunt(s). Once y'all get to know one another, there's that many more combinations of people that might be able to go on a given day.

God forbid, some creepo either is trolling for unsuspecting Geocachers, or some creepo Geocacher decides he'd GLADLY take a female out in the woods - a group setting might be better.

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

What is this world comming to! Yea, I guess one can't be too careful these days.

Just having met my first big group of Cachers at the Capture the Flag Event, it was nice to see a good group of folks. No "wierdos" persey, unless you count the guy that drifted over, said he was "The Mayor" and warmed by our fire then stood around... then drifted away. (No, not a cacher, just an unknown park wanderer.)

As for me, I tried being a creepo once... till my wife kicked me hard in the shin. OUCH! icon_wink.gif

66427_2800.gif

And it's been a great experience. I was leary at the thought of meeting a stranger to go into the woods. We e-mailed each other back and forth a few times first. I sent her a description of myself first, because I thought I might be a lot older than her, and she might not want to cache with someone older. Well her e-mail comes back and she's practically just like me, so of course I think this IS someone who's trying to lure me into the woods of course, no one can be just like ME! We set up our first hike and it involves climbing a mountain and several caches. We met first at a diner, she more trusting, because I brought the two extra friends along but it was like friends at first sight. We had a great day, the two guys hiking ahead and we lagged behind, talking the whole way. They would stop and wait until they heard us talking and then move ahead again. We really are alike in so many ways, and since then I have gone to NY and met the Tribe for a cache hunt. She came to CT for a 3 cache hike, and I went over there, and we took a long hike to a cache with her son. It's been really nice having someone new to do things with. Her kid is great, her significant other is also a great guy (if only he liked caching as much as we do!), and I look forward to meeting many more cachers as well. I just recommend that each brings along a friend in the beginning, to feel more secure.

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.