How long is long enough?

How long do you think a cache should be left active without any activity? I have 2 caches with no finds for 65 days (17 & 11 logged visits) and another with no finds for 67 days (19 logged visits). I just performed maintenance on them over the weekend so I know they are still out there. I’m just wondering if I should leave them there for new cachers to find or archive them.

Leave them there. No need to remove them. It hasn't been that long. You probably got most of local cachers to visit already, now leave them there for the passing through cachers. Last log on one of them said the cache was in fine shape, why worry?

Cache you later,

Planet

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I'd leave them. I had one that went well over 100 days without a find, then bang, two finds in two weeks. One was from veteran team of geocachers who simply took a while to get to this one and the other was by someone new to the sport.

There are always new people starting the sport and travelers passing through the area. And of course, there are veteran geocachers who may have your caches on their to-do list, but simply haven't gotten out that way yet.

Besides, after checking your profile, I could tell which three you are referring to and they are all excellent hunts.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on November 18, 2002 at 08:56 AM.]

I personally like to think of my caches as soon-to-be timecapsules.

Two of them are in somewhat remote locations, and once geocaching goes by the wayside, they may sit there for a thousand years before being found again.

Pretty cool icon_biggrin.gif

Of course, might be a different story if I used tupperware for my containers... icon_eek.gif

Personally, I really enjoy finding a cache that hasn't been found in a year. I see no reason to remove/archive a cache that has had no recent find logs unless it is in a place that you are unwilling to maintain any longer. Even then, you might be able to find someone to adopt it...

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Who's Way Was It? and Mountain Top Memorial in Oregon haven't been found yet and they were placed on June 16th of this year. So 5 months? They are both virtuals and not easy to get to. I will not pull them as eventually someone will get to them. I have another cache that's only been hit twice in over a year.

Now if I go place an easy one or a "drive and dump" they'll get hit 10 times the first week which shows you what the customers really want.

So mix them up and don't worry about the difficult to find ones. They'll get found eventually.

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

quote:
Originally posted by Skully & Mulder et al.:

How long do you think a cache should be left active without any activity?

It depends. I think if you are satisfied with the location and the response of those who found the cache, then leave it until you grow tired of it.

But if you have been dissatisfied with anything about the site or tendencies of visitors to the cache, then remove it, archive it and try again at another location.

On one of them I think there is a note that I started to do it and then left. But I noted I would be back.

It is your cache and you can do what you want but I haven't been there yet so they are all still on my to do list.

Just give me some time.

We don't all find and expand out of our home ranges as fast as B/P and Stayfloopy.

I guess contrary to most of the views here, I don't like to leave them out for more than 6 months or so.

I like to keep things fresh and also to vacate an area to allow someone new a chance to put out a cache there if they want to.

Also, I don't think someone can realistically be a good cache owner to dozens and dozens of caches...so I try to keep my number of active caches at a reasonable level while still putting out new ones.

All three of those caches have very favorable logs from well-known cachers. I wouldn't dream of archiving a cache that is so well-received, just because some time passes with no finders.

Leave it there long enough and I'll work my way over from Western PA....

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos?