Am I totally missing the point of Geocaching????

tirediron

Ok, I admit that I am brand-new to this (still trying to decide on a GPS, and a few other things) but I am getting very confused. I had thought that the whole point of Geocaching was to try and find a particular point in the world, because someone thought it was neat, had a good view, was a challenge, or just 'cause. Over the last few days, I have seen quite a few posts by people decrying virtual caches and people who TNLN. What is the prob with this?? icon_confused.gif??

Once I get back home, and can actually get out into the boonies and start Geocaching for real, I doubt very much that I will be toting around a bag of stuff to 'trade'. The challenge of finding 'the point' is what interests me, and I suspect many other people. If you want to trade, that's cool and I understand that the cache is often the 'bait' to get people motivated, but...

I can see nothing wrong with virtual or micro-caches, and TNLN seems perfectly fine to me. As far as I am concerned a cache with nothing more than a log-book is perfect. Why are so many people getting all bent out of shape about this?

BTW, this is a real question. I am not trying to start another one of those mile-long 500 response "He said/She said" threads... just wondering if I got it all wrong?

Some folks like to trade, some like to seek, some like to hide. I like to do 'em all icon_smile.gif I also enjoy just finding a location, and because of this have started Geodashing. My brother and I are members of Team DashNCache we have been having a blast. I would suggest that you enjoy Geodashing along with Geocaching. They are complimentary to each other and both are loads of fun icon_smile.gif Happy dashing and caching!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

The part you apparantly fail to realize is that just like the real world, this place is full of whining crybabies that like nothing better than the piss and moan and cry, who think everyone has to do everything thing just they way that THEY like best.

Oh yeah, obviously I'm NOT referring to EVERYONE, just there are a few who seem quite vocal about it.

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

[This message was edited by IV_Warrior on February 20, 2003 at 06:52 PM.]

Real geocachers don't cry and whine, the ones you see here doing such are not geocachers, they are simply jealous of others that are out geocaching and having fun.

The real point is you have choices, if you don't want to do virtuals then don't. Personally I have done a few and I had a blast while doing them, it is nice to live in a country where we have the option to do as we want (within reason of course) Pay no attention to the whiners or crybabies, seek what you want and have fun doing it.

Good luck

In a nutshell, geocaching is whatever it means to you personally.

It's fine to log a TNLN.

It's fine to go after virtuals or locationless caches.

It's fine to think that log numbers are a big deal.

It's fine to log your own moving cache.

The only thing that I can see that will turn someone off of this activity is taking these forum discussions to seriously.

Enough already. Go find something. icon_biggrin.gif

Tireiron,

I must reiterate what our collieges have said, "you get it" in fact you get it in spades.

Some of the best caches are virtuals. I really like the vituals based in histrory, particularly, obscure history.

Unfortunately, the nay-sayers have the ear of the powers that be, the last several virtuals I tried to post, were denied simply because they are virtuals.

Enjoy your hunts, whatever they may be for.

Ignore the bickering and and arguing over what constitutes a real cache, or why people hate locationless and virtuals.

The point is to have fun outdoors on your own, with your pets, or with your family.

I'm beginning to see the wisdom of staying away from the forums. I find it rather ugly and distressing lately, and doubt that I will post much in the future. A few hardheaded people can take the fun out it, and I won't have my geocaching enjoyment hampered.