How much gas is burnt up by geocachers?

I get your point, but 1 gallon of gas per cache might be over-estimating a bit. I've often found around 20 caches a day, but I didn't burn up a whole tank of gas...in fact, my car won't even hold 20 gallons. Of course, your mileage may vary. I guess much would depend on the cache density in your area.

However, I do find it amusing how much some people fret over the cost of AA batteries. I've found that is next to nothing compared to what I spend on gasoline.

George

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

However, I do find it amusing how much some people fret over the cost of AA batteries. I've found that is next to nothing compared to what I spend on gasoline.

George

Try caching in the UK! Petrol (oh OK gasoline) is hideously expensive here. It's easily my number 1 caching expense by a significant margin.

What is caches precious?

quote:
Originally posted by Team AshandEs:

Try caching in the UK! Petrol (oh OK gasoline) is hideously expensive here. It's easily my number 1 caching expense by a significant margin.

Hey man, you're not supposed to drink the stuff!

Oops, just saw your avatar...sorry...too late. icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

George

Amend!

Here is another one. The price of a postage stamp goes up 3 cents and people want to quit mailing anything. Gas goes up 50 cents/gallon and they plan a vacation.

Go figure?

Gary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drop back 10 and ........trip over the cache.

So by caching we try to get out away from our computers and enjoy nature and the environment.

But then by driving all over to find the caches, we increase emissions and greenhouse gases in the environment thereby doing harm to the nature we are trying to enjoy.

But if we stay home and just use our computers, we are using more electricity which comes from coal-fired or nuclear (gasp) generators which also endangers the environment and nature.

So what is the answer to best protect the environment??

---------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow

Here's your answer:

<Insert Looney Tunes' Pete Puma voice> Ohhhhhhh, I guess it must be a whole lotta gas,,,,,, a wholllllllle lotta gas...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! <end P.P. voice>

My gas card bill more than triples in months that I cache a whole bunch. You?

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

If you are not failing now and again, it's a sign you're playing it safe. - Woody Allen

In the past year since I started caching, I drove about 15,000km on my car/cars, and of that I would say that atleast 10,000 km of that and probably more was spent on finding geocaches.

I think that geocaching is a very inexpensive and also very reqarding hobby/sport/activity. All it costs is the price of gas and the cost of a few trinkets...If go I geocaching for a 10 hour day, maybe I'll spend at most $20 on gas and other items...that's very cheap compared to if you went to a movie or a concert or amusement park, etc. Where else can a family/individual have so much fun doing something healthy for that little money.

If gas prices doubled, it would still be inexpensive to go geocaching.

...it's a great sport...let's keep it that way.