Geocaching Terms and Lingo

I have been looking around the various threads at the different terms that seem to be used exclusively by geocachers. I decided to post a list of these terms which would obviously benefit from the input of others. I am certain there are hundreds of other excellent terms that can be added to the list and probably many correction that can be made as well. Is there a word for someone who is extremely skilled at geocaching?

The List:

Blair Witching: When GPSr readings appear to 'flip' over a desired coordinate (usually near the cache site), preventing the seeker from locating a cache.

Booty Nuggets: The treasure found in the cache for trading (see also McToys, Geoswag).

Chromes: "Crow Miles" describing linear distance without regarding elevation or terrain.

Drive & Dump: A cache placed with little thought, usually very close to a road or parking lot.

Force (The Force): The ability to instinctively know where a cache is hidden when you get within a certain proximity. The term alludes to supernatural force used by specially gifted characters in Star Wars.

FTF: First to Find

Garminites: Those that favor the Garmin line of GPSr units

Geobasher: A person (usually a geomuggle) who derides geocachers or the act of geocaching.

Geocasher: A geocacher who leaves valuable items in a cache.

Geodashing: Another GPS Game involving visiting randomly generated waypoints

Geomuggle: A person that is unaware of the existence of geocaching. The term alludes to Harry Potter where "muggles" refers to non-wizard humans. (see also In-Laws)

Geosnatcher: A person who steals the contents of a geocache or the entire geocache itself (see also Plundered)

GPSr Food: Batteries

Hedwigged: E-mailed. The term alludes to Harry Potter's messenger owl, Hedwig.

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named: The gentleman who placed the first Geocache in May 2000. The term alludes to Harry Potter's evil nemesis, a powerful wizard who must not be named.

In-Laws: Unwanted geomuggles who remain at a cache location for extended periods of time, preventing discrete access to that cache.

Letterboxing: Another stash-and-find game that started in the U.K. over 100 years ago. It is similar to Geocaching, but without the use of GPS and coordinates.

Log and Dump: A cache carelessly replaced in its original location, often left unhidden

and vulnerable to plundering.

Loose Bearings: The point at which the direction on your GPSr no longer points in the correct direction, mostly because you've slowed down to a point that it doesn't know in which direction you're moving.

Maggies: Those that favor the Magellan line of GPS units

Markwell: To create a link to a previous, or related forum discussion of a topic.

McToys: Cheap, dirty, or broken toys of little monetary value left in caches for trade.

Microcache: Much smaller than a regular cache.

Minicache: Between the size of a microcache and a regular cache.

Minute War: Another GPS Game involving playing a "capture the flag" related game on a global scale

Neocacher: An inexperienced Geocacher (see also newbie)

Newbie: An inexperienced Geocacher (see also Neocacher)

Plasma Bandits: Mosquitos

Plundered: A cache which has had its contents stolen or the theft of the cache itself. (see also Geosnatcher)

Signature Item: A specific item used and/or created by a geocacher to show that they've visited a cache.

Smurfs 292: Meeting another geocacher in the woods. The term alludes to Smurfs episode #292 where the Smurfs encounter "Wild Smurf", a 150 year old loincloth-wearing Smurf who was lost as an infant and raised by squirrels.

Sock Puppet: A person posting under a different handle in order to appear to have more than one person supporting the stated position.

Swag: The treasure found in the cache for trading (see also McToys, Booty Nuggets)

TFTC: Thanks for the Cache

The "Other" Site: Navicache.com. In competition with Geocaching.com

The Degree Confluence Project: Another GPS based hobby involving visiting points where the latitude and longitude are integers (e.g. N 42° 00.000 W 088° 00.000)

TNLN: Took Nothing, Left Nothing

TNLNSL: Took Nothing, Left Nothing, Signed Logbook

TPTB: The Powers That Be (Jeremy Irish and Elias - those that control Geocaching.com)

Troll: A person who posts inflammatory remarks specifically to elicit heated replies.

YAPIDKA: Yet another park I didn't know about

A C atom noticed that an H ion was looking depressed, "Why do you look so sad?" he asked. "I lost an electron" replied the H ion. The C atom asked "Are you sure?" To which the H ion replied, "I'm positive."

• Upvote 1

Help Center → Geocaching → Beginner's Basics → Terminology and Glossary

1.7. Terminology and Glossary

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=50

Geocaching > Getting Started with Geocaching > Glossary of Terms

Glossary of Terms

http://www.geocaching.com/about/glossary.aspx

The Geocaching.com glossary is always changing. If you have suggestions for future additions, please contact us.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/glossary.aspx

GeoLex

The Lexicon of Geocaching

http://geolex.locusprime.net/

Wow!! Did you create this list yourself? That's a lot of work! I haven't heard of a lot of these before. I like "blair witching", "hedwigged", "in-laws", and "plasma bandits" :laughing: Perhaps one should be created for "Dursleys" :laughing:

Cache Maggot?

I did a little search today for it and figured from what I read it's a person who get an account for the purpose of stealing caches. Sound right?

I had to do an emergency google for that one when I read it on another thread

Edited by diggingest_dogg616

Post August 20,2003

Reply January 22,2012

Does this set the record for oldest thread bump ever?

I think it does.

Doh.

:yikes:

Criminey! I didn't notice that either! Well... I suppose it's far from my first time replying to really old threads that have been bumped (I've caught a few and stopped myself but I have a lot of room for improvement! :o )

I found pretty much the same definition for "cache maggot" that you did GeotaggedBloger. Someone that just vandalizes caches or steals them :(

Interesting. A number of those terms have been superseded by different terms, but some of those are pretty good.

A few "blasts from the past":

Microcache and minicache: I assume this was before Micro became an official size, and before nanos came into common use.

Loose bearings: I guess this was before GPSrs came with 3-axis compasses. :laughing:

The "Other" Site: There are obviously many "other" sites now. I guess at that time there was really only one.

ETA: Oh, and I hate those "In-laws". I've had many unwanted encounters with "In-laws". :laughing:

Edited by The A-Team

I googled a phrase I had recently seen in an article about geocaching 'Smurfs 292', I'd never heard of that, particularly in the context of its meaning - so google took me to this posting
Read through that list - are some of those still used ?
I have been caching 20 years and have only heard or used 10 in that list - I am from the UK and I am guessing this is very much an American list of phrases 

Oh! and a 12+ year bump - that beats the previous one :D

Edited by Deepdiggingmole
  • Funny 1
10 minutes ago, Deepdiggingmole said:

I have been caching 20 years and have only heard or used 10 in that list - I am from the UK and I am guessing this is very much an American list of phrases 

I've lived in the USA my whole life and recognized only about half of the terms on that list.

58 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Funny that microcache and minicache are on there, "smaller than a regular cache"... did cache sizes not exist back then?

The original post was from 2003. That was before my time, but I recall hearing/reading that the "micro" size was created first, then the "small" size was created later to fill the gap between large "micro" and small "regular" caches.