Anticipated Joys of Caching

Guest Chris Juricich

Guest Chris Juricich

I got started on this only two days ago, actually. I had suggested to a local comics retailer that he might consider doing a 'Great Comic Book Treasure Hunt' in the traditional way, with comic caches hidden about. Fun, and promo for his shop. He likes the idea.

Along the way, my wife mentions this 'geocaching' business, and within a day of her having mentioned it, I'd been through eBay, clocked numerous pages at cnet.com, made phone calls, and am now the proud (?) possessor of my first GPS-- a Garmin eTrex!

Why did the hobby/sport appeal? Well, I like to hike, I like to jog, I like to walk the dog, and I like to get to know people, either virtually or in person. The sport/hobby would segue nicely with my proclivities for getting outdoors, perhaps drawing my son and wife into the journeys (additional incentive to go with me), and the challenge of doping out how to do the cache-seek thing.

So-- I'm looking forward greatly to this venture-- as soon as I figure out how to enter a NAD27 (whatever?) format from the website to my GPS!!

Guest makaio

The cache posting coordinates are actually in WGS84 format - hddd mm.mmmm (the widely used standard)

Just go to your Setup/Units section and set your coordinate format to WGS84 and enter them just like they are on the page. Then, should you decide to use NAD27 or UTM or another format, simply change the Units to the desired format and the cache coords will change to that format automagically.

Guest Chris Juricich

Thanks, folks!

Went to the MeHaffey (sp?) site last nite, pressed more buttons on the eTrex, and have actually managed to input as a waypoint the coords of the nearest cache-- out in the Berkeley Marina, a place I have driven past for years when walking my dog out there.

Today I'll bring my son and perhaps his friend and we'll go a'hunting!

Guest Ron Streeter

Chris...

Looks like you are making progress getting some coords into your gps.

As I said in my email to you, do some manual input first, then you can figure out the Easygps software later.

Ron

Guest Chris Juricich

Did some yardwork, gonna fix the fence to try to keep the dog in the yard, then pull my son and his buddy off to the marshes of the Marina to locate the treasure!

Gonna bring a replacement item, my digital camera, cell phone, and hopefully some luck!