The end of The Contact Cache...

I've received many emails from all over the place about my Contact cache. For those that are interested, I'm posting a copy of the note I just left on the page:

quote:

I read Hilander's log about the no trespassing signs being posted soon, and after some serious thought, I will be removing the cache sometime this coming week. I would really like to place it somewhere else and keep it active, but due to the size of the container, this may not be possible.

This was my first 'big cache'. I have others in the works, but I don't think they could ever top Contact.

I really appreciate everyone's comments. I've recieved numerous emails, both locally and from around the world, about how great this cache is, and how it has inspired others. No words can describe how you all have made me feel...

I hope, that in doing this cache, that people have learned about a cool movie, secret codes in everyday files, thinking in multiple dimensions, and how to 'feed your head'.

After I retrieve the cache, I will post detailed instructions on the puzzle. Both how I came up with it, and how to solve it.

For those of you who haven't found it yet, you have about 2 or 3 days left icon_wink.gif

If I could ask one thing from all of you, it would be to join me and others in working on the SETI@Home project. It's a screensaver that processes data from a radio telescope that's looking for signals from other worlds. For more information, and to download the software, go to http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ . After you get the software installed, please join the Geocaching group at http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_127358.html .

Again.. Thank you all for your comments. It is my pleasure creating something that so many people have enjoyed...

Untill the next one...

I wanted Contact to be something big and unusual... I never expected so many kind thoughts from so many people! I'm glad so many of you expressed to me how much you enjoyed the puzzle. It's stuff like that, that keeps me going...keeps me thinking...and keeps me wanting to create new and unsual caches to entertain people.

Thanks too all who enjoyed it!

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

fractal;

You inspired me to "feed my head", and I felt proud that I took on the challenge and completed it. It was such a thrill to get that email from you saying, "Yep, that's right!"

It gave me a new sense of purpose, and inspired us to travel to someplace we'd never been before.

I just wish that you could keep "Contact" together and move it to another spot. Heck, those of us who have solved it should start a club! We could compete with Mensa! Okay, maybe not...

Thanks for "Contact" fractal. You have inspired me and set the bar for every puzzle cache to follow. Let us know what museum you put the container in, or if you recycle it for another cache.

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

I quit doing Seti@home when I learned that they have so many volunteers that they are sending the same peice of data to about 10 people, all doing the same one. I am not selfish, but I can use those CPU cycles too. No sense repeating the work someone else did, just so they make me feel like I am doing something. JMHO. YMMV.

Mike. KD9KC

We were actually at the Contact Cache last night to retrieve our cache (sounds funny huh?). The place was amazing clean compared to last time we were there. The trails were all overgrown with fresh spring greens. Alas, there were some new "No Trespassing" signs posted that we didn't notice before. It's unfortunate that you'll have to be moving it, but hopefully you'll find somewhere new for it to go.

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

I'm glad I got the chance to do this cache before it went away. I was on cloud nine when me and a couple of friends finally cracked the code. The container was awesome but I thought the location was the weak link in this otherwise world-class cache. I would love to see this geocaching gem live on at a better site. Long live Fractal, and thanks for the hunt!

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."