Geocache-bookcrossing thought... :)

and have 9 books registered - ready to be released into caches, Starbucks, etc. I released one yesterday at a Starbucks - no hit yet. I like to place books in caches, now I can track 'em! Verrry cool idea - I'm planning a bookcrossing only cache here in San Diego. Read and RELEASE!

SteveL

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=38094

Yeah, I've been considering a bookcrossing based cache here in town - but I wasn't sure what the general feeling would be. I suppose it is just like any other themed cache, and therefore should be okay - I just know some people get concerned when asked to only take or leave a certain type of item.

The one you linked to there seems well thought out - I like the way he talks about it in the description, making it more than just a box of books. icon_smile.gif

Has anyone seen anything negative said about bookcrossing based caches? I haven't searched, so I don't know if there are many of them yet... just wondering what the overall feeling is in the community about them.

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

Hmm... now I have to wonder, what is the best container to use for such a cache? It'd have to be something big, but I'd imagine it'd need to be almost airtight to help keep out the moisture and weather. Of course, ziplock baggies would be used - but I'd still think a good container might be hard to find. I'll probably end up resorting to a medium/large-ish rubbermaid container... not very airtight, but placed in the proper location it should be okay, I guess.

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

Yup, I like the pocket books especially, though novel size fits in an ammo box pretty well too.

I also take books I find in caches and turn them into bookcrossing books. I generally email the original owner back too so they can watch their book as well.

Lastly, I always setup a bookcrossing table at our event caches and will soon have a permanent bookcrossing zone in Buffalo, NY.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I got all excited about bookcrossing in caches.Sadly of the two I put out first, one got lost when the cache fell inside a tree. The second cache was thrown into a river, so I guess the book was spoiled. I lost heart after that and have not placed anymore yet. I still think it's a great idea but will choose the caches more carefully!

Peregrinus