Defintion of a rule

Locally, I have noticed a number of geocaches with SMALL pocket knifes (keychain sized). I have several that I would like to use as trade items, but have held off due to the "no knife" rule. We are talking about knives that are less than 2 inches long and would be carried in the pockets by many of us. I recognize the need to keep actual pocket knives out of caches as well as larger hunting knives, but what is the definition of acceptable in terms of these keychain sized knives? Is it OK for us to have a local variance and say that around here little pocket knives ARE ok, even though they aren't elsewhere? icon_confused.gif

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

IMHO There are (within reason) exceptions to every rule, but prepare to get flamed for even bringing it up.

I hear that there's some stone tablets with all the rules in asbestos lined room containing a burning shrubbery in the basement at Groundspeak.

Seriously, I sent an email a while back asking Groundspeak to promulgate some policy. What's posted just doesn't cut it for me. I like to know the entire set of rules that I have to play by instead of having to hunt for it. I don't fault them for not doing so. Policy writing is not easy, especially in a game that is evolving so quickly.

Hey, speed limits are just suggestions to me until I see the fuzz. <That's just a joke Breaktrack. icon_wink.gif>

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

I think it’s best to remember the spirit the “rule” or “guideline” was written in. A knife can be an edged surface utility tool . Need a hole to hide your cache? Utilize a natural depression and simply cover it up. How about, “I thought that sign said primate property...”

icon_wink.gif <-winky is here to indicate the joking nature of my post.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

quote:
Originally posted by Verboten:

The first rule of placing pocket knives in caches is that you do not talk about placing pocket knives in caches.

-Vb

The second rule of placing pocket knives in caches is that you DO NOT talk about placing pocket knives in Fight Club, I mean caches.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

It's CYA for Groundspeak. The rule is no knives.

If that is the case, then we are all assuming a lot of liability for Groundspeak by putting any type of tool in a cache as nearly anything can be turned into a weapon. It looks like the only safe thing is to either go all McToys all the time, or go to the hated TNLN behavior.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

tool.jpg

Unequalled as a letter-opener, it also deals well as a Spam eliminator, this is the Manual Model, the automatic model is a little hard to hold....

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

~~

Geo-cach-er, n. generally a highy technically competent person with lots of free time. (see also- "Unemployed", Computer administrator, aircraft technician- defense worker- dot-com executive- systems administrator, et.al

[This message was edited by GeoCan on August 10, 2003 at 12:13 PM.]