Geocaching in the rain

gmaxis

Have you? Will you, just to be the first one? What's the worst weather you've been out geocaching in? It's drizzling now in San Diego and I have this urge to search! There's a new cache less than 6 miles away and so far no one's logged online so I have a good chance to beat anyone to it...I hope!

I've cache in the rain many times, my worst rain experience was when I spent a day in a heavy rain/sleet mix, temp was about 36 or so, BUT then again the elements made the relatively easy caches more of a challenge which is good.

Worst weather, I placed chagnes to my large multi cache in 15 degree weather with high winds. I had to get out the changes as I had just put the cache out and wanted anyone coming to it to get the updated version. Spent about 4 hours in that weather doing it.

Weather really doesn't bother me, don't get me wrong after that day of hiking in the cold rain sleet I was kinda upset and grumpy (the fact that 2 of the caches didn't exist didn't help either) of course I would have liked better weather, snow would have been fine the cold rain was just annoying, but it IS goecaching so hey get out there and feed the addiction.

26315_200.jpg

I did this cache hunt in the midst of a Summer thunderstorm! The worst conditions were on a very windy, 20°F Winter day. (I hate the wind!!!) Both were quite memorable. astrosmiley.gif

Cheers ...

Rich in NEPA

1132_1000.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

Hey gmaxis as I and probably Rich can attest to (though I'm of course not speaking for him icon_wink.gif the right gear makes all the difference in the world (noticed The North Face rain gear Rich). I learned my lesson once in Shenandoah NP in VA and once more at the Western most point in the United States of the coast of washinton, that cheap umbrella and $2.00 poncho helps in drizzle but in a real storm the right gear makes it so much easier.

Cause nothing sucks as bad as hiking 6 miles out in cold high winds, getting chaffed, and hauling along an extra 10lbs or water in your clothes.

Hey gmaxis as I and probably Rich can attest to (though I'm of course not speaking for him icon_wink.gif the right gear makes all the difference in the world (noticed The North Face rain gear Rich). I learned my lesson once in Shenandoah NP in VA and once more at the Western most point in the United States of the coast of washinton, that cheap umbrella and $2.00 poncho helps in drizzle but in a real storm the right gear makes it so much easier.

Cause nothing sucks as bad as hiking 6 miles out in cold high winds, getting chaffed, and hauling along an extra 10lbs or water in your clothes.

I found 4 caches yesterday in the rain... well only the first two were in the rain. It had stopped by the last two. A friend was visiting from Utah and this was the only day I could get off when he was here so we went. One required a couple miles of bike riding along a canal bank so we ended up muddy and wet but we found the cache. A light drizzle feels differently when riding a bike.

george

On one of my earlier hunts, the weatherman was calling for 1 to 3 inches of snow. I figured "no big deal" and went on the hunt. By the time I found the cache on the top of a ridge in PA, there were 6 inches of snow on the ground and it was still snowing hard. "White out" conditions prevailed at times. Fortunatly I punched my car location as a waypoint and was able to navigate out using a different path. By the time I got home there were 12 inches of snow on the ground.

It all turned out fine, but could have been worse! My biggest fear was that my GPS would not function in the storm. It did fine!

quote:
Originally posted by smoochnme:

On one of my earlier hunts, the weatherman was calling for 1 to 3 inches of snow. I figured "no big deal" and went on the hunt. By the time I found the cache on the top of a ridge in PA, there were 6 inches of snow on the ground and it was still snowing hard. "White out" conditions prevailed at times. Fortunatly I punched my car location as a waypoint and was able to navigate out using a different path. By the time I got home there were 12 inches of snow on the ground.

It all turned out fine, but could have been worse! My biggest fear was that my GPS would not function in the storm. It did fine!

I wish the weather forcasters here would tell us lies like that. Usually, it's the other way around. 10" of snow on the way, only to have 2" fall.

quote:
Originally posted by gmaxis:

Have you? Will you, just to be the first one? What's the worst weather you've been out geocaching in? It's drizzling now in San Diego and I have this urge to search! There's a new cache less than 6 miles away and so far no one's logged online so I have a good chance to beat anyone to it...I hope!

Not to be the first, but sometimes you've just got to get out! I ended up the other week in a down pour in a city park, couldn't see the Etrex for the rain. Pretty much soaked through by the time I got to the car. My wife, who waited in the car, gave me the 'look'. It was fine, really!

Bluespreacher

I say: If your GPSr works in the rain, then why not? Took my cousins on a cache hunt when visiting the city of Greenville, SC, and even with the cold, pouring rain, they are HOOKED! We found five easy caches in and around the city and they loved it- even had some kids with us! They were disappointed that it was getting dark and we were going back to the house.

Went geocaching at the top of Cajon Pass in a pounding rainstorm back in January. It was about 9 pm in the pitch black on unmaintained dirt roads. I got absolutely soaked, the SUV nearly slid off a hill in the mud that was like sludge, and I had one tiny flashlight. So of course I had a great time. Anything to add to the adventure. icon_smile.gif

Went geocaching at the top of Cajon Pass in a pounding rainstorm back in January. It was about 9 pm in the pitch black on unmaintained dirt roads. I got absolutely soaked, the SUV nearly slid off a hill in the mud that was like sludge, and I had one tiny flashlight. So of course I had a great time. Anything to add to the adventure. icon_smile.gif

Worst weather I've encountered so far was a hard rain and strong gusts of wind. I was in Chunky, MS looking for a small cache that had never been found when the rain started getting really hard so I took refuge in my car to wait for it to blow over so I could continue. While waiting in the car, I listened to the radio and heard a report that a tornado had just touched down in Hickory, MS and was headed due east. Being unfamiliar with Hickory, MS, I checked my map to see where it was. "Aha! Here it is - 10 miles -uh, due WEST of, uh,uh, Chunky. Outta there!

Stamp out and eradicate superfluous redundancy

Rain, sleet or snow

Where there's a cache, I will go!

Hah! I was caching in the drizzle the other day for one of Buck8Point's multicaches...I knocked the container in the bayou and hadda fish it out! icon_frown.gif Then we continued in the drizzle, we didn't make it to the end though due to nightfall!

I've cached right before a BADDDDDDD thunderstorm, we were in a park and sand was flyin'....felt like we were in Oz! And as luck would have it I left my ruby slippers in the car!

And this past weekend I went caching in the freezing cold and windy weather, but it was soooo fun! I think it was 20 degrees with the wind chill factor when I left home that day...and there were snow flurries about....but not even enough to say it snowed! icon_razz.gif (And I was on my way to be FIRST!!! and I made it, WOOHOOOOOOOOO!)

Shybabe924

Rain, sleet or snow

Where there's a cache, I will go!

Hah! I was caching in the drizzle the other day for one of Buck8Point's multicaches...I knocked the container in the bayou and hadda fish it out! icon_frown.gif Then we continued in the drizzle, we didn't make it to the end though due to nightfall!

I've cached right before a BADDDDDDD thunderstorm, we were in a park and sand was flyin'....felt like we were in Oz! And as luck would have it I left my ruby slippers in the car!

And this past weekend I went caching in the freezing cold and windy weather, but it was soooo fun! I think it was 20 degrees with the wind chill factor when I left home that day...and there were snow flurries about....but not even enough to say it snowed! icon_razz.gif (And I was on my way to be FIRST!!! and I made it, WOOHOOOOOOOOO!)

Shybabe924

Great thing about the NW weather is if you don't like it, just wait a few minutes it will change. Today we had sunshine, snow, sleet, rain, hail, in various combinations. It was different everytime I looked out the window.

For those who've never been here - it rains all the time. icon_wink.gif Don't come especially in the summer. icon_rolleyes.gif

Great thing about the NW weather is if you don't like it, just wait a few minutes it will change. Today we had sunshine, snow, sleet, rain, hail, in various combinations. It was different everytime I looked out the window.

For those who've never been here - it rains all the time. icon_wink.gif Don't come especially in the summer. icon_rolleyes.gif

Snow, rain, wind, sunshine. As others have pointed out, the weather in the NW tends to change a lot (usually in the reverse order from what I posted above). Chad and I have seen it all, except for hail I suppose. Oh, and no lightining. That's the one thing I don't think I'd wanna cache in. No point in dying over an ammo container, right?

For awhile, I had a special little ziplock bag that fit perfectly over my Handspring Visor + GPS unit, but that disappeared. Now the screen just gets wet and I occasionally wipe it off.

"Strictly hand-held is the style I go." --Beastie Boys

Come hell or high water...

Neither rain nor snow nor heat nor gloom of night stays these geocachers from their swift completion of their appointed geocaching hunts.

The more miserable, the more memorable...makes an interesting log entry!

I'm a hiker/climber first before I became a geocacher and the right gear does make a lot of difference in the severest kinds of weather. (I should know coz I'm practically a stockholder of TNF icon_biggrin.gif

Have GPS, Will Travel.

Come hell or high water...

Neither rain nor snow nor heat nor gloom of night stays these geocachers from their swift completion of their appointed geocaching hunts.

The more miserable, the more memorable...makes an interesting log entry!

I'm a hiker/climber first before I became a geocacher and the right gear does make a lot of difference in the severest kinds of weather. (I should know coz I'm practically a stockholder of TNF icon_biggrin.gif

Have GPS, Will Travel.

We did this one a few weeks ago. It's on the top of a bleak moor in N England, totally exposed to the elements.

You could drive to within about 0.2mile which was just as well.

It was so cold we could hardly write in the book and the wind blew someone over on the way back.

ribble.jpg