How long?

Joe Smith

The longest I have gone yet has been an hour and I found it but I don't think I would give up until it was getting dark or I had to be somewhere. If that was the case and I felt I was just missing something then I would come back.

I also think that the longer you do it the better you get at guessing peoples thoughts and hiding places.

As you can see from my finds I have a way to go.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

If you find it as soon as you give up, why don't you just quit as soon as you get there??? icon_wink.gif

I've found them all so far, with the longest being 20-30 minutes. Who knows how long if I get one I can't find. Guess it depends on if I need to be anywhere the next morning.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

If you find it as soon as you give up, why don't you just quit as soon as you get there??? icon_wink.gif

I've found them all so far, with the longest being 20-30 minutes. Who knows how long if I get one I can't find. Guess it depends on if I need to be anywhere the next morning.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

Ive spent over an hour on a cache or two after arriving to the coordinates.

Did have that one time when we were within a mile from the cache when i hit the "goto" button. After driving down every dirt road and trail imaginable, we finally came upon the area over 2 hours later. Once there the cache was found in less than 15 minutes! icon_biggrin.gif

Ive spent over an hour on a cache or two after arriving to the coordinates.

Did have that one time when we were within a mile from the cache when i hit the "goto" button. After driving down every dirt road and trail imaginable, we finally came upon the area over 2 hours later. Once there the cache was found in less than 15 minutes! icon_biggrin.gif

Level 1: 10 minutes

Level 2: 1/2 hour

Level 3: 2 hours

Level 4: 3 hours

Level 5: As long as it takes

Naturally, the above times don't include the time spent hiking.

I have to comment that I haven't encountered that many caches rated 3 difficulty or higher that actually deserved that rating; I felt that based on the rating system, the majority had been significantly overrated ... and were probably more akin to level 2's.

The longest I've ever spent on a cache was the 5 hours on "Alluvial Material," in its original placement.

It depends on several factors. If its really hot or cold or raining like crazy, I'm not going to look for very long.

If I believe that I've looked in all of the possible hiding places and think that I've found where the cache 'used' to be, I'll stop looking. Otherwise, I'll look for about 45 minutes or so.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

The longest I have gone yet has been an hour and I found it but I don't think I would give up until it was getting dark or I had to be somewhere. If that was the case and I felt I was just missing something then I would come back.

*laugh* Sounds kinda like me... I'm a bit stubborn when I start a search. I consider myself fairly handy with a GPS, and I understand all the basics of hiding and seeking a cache - so it really chaps my a$$ when I can't find a cache within a few minutes. There have been a couple that I've looked for that just weren't there anymore - but that didn't prevent me from tromping around the woods for an hour, climbing all over rocks and mud and crap. icon_smile.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

*laugh* Sounds kinda like me... I'm a bit stubborn when I start a search. I consider myself fairly handy with a GPS, and I understand all the basics of hiding and seeking a cache - so it really chaps my a$$ when I can't find a cache within a few minutes. There have been a couple that I've looked for that just weren't there anymore - but that didn't prevent me from tromping around the woods for an hour, climbing all over rocks and mud and crap. icon_smile.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

My "futility point" is proportional to the amount of time I spent driving to the cache and how long a hike it is to the site from the car. If I drive two and a half hours to a parking area 6 miles from the cache, then hike it in, I'm gonna find it come hell or high water, no matter how long it takes. I don't wanna have to repeat steps 1 and 2 because I wimped out the first time.

If it's one that's five minutes from my house that I can easily revisit on a lunch break if I don't find it the first time...um...ten minutes, tops.

Always wear proper caching safety equipment!

60748_1200.jpg