No GPS

I have just heard about Geo-caching from a friend and thought it a interesting idea. I was just wondering one thing. Do you have to use a GPS system? I was VERY good with maps in the military and think using a map to locate a cache would be nore rewarding to me. Is there any reason a person cannot use a map and compass?

There are a number of people who successfully find caches without a GPSr and you are welcome to try. You must have (or borrow) a GPSr though, if you want to hide a cache.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

It is possible- I did my first 10 caches without one. You have to choose very carefully though, too hard and you'll never find it. Definately decrypt the clues, give yourself loads of time to look for it, be prepared for a failure.

Best bet is to pick a cache with pictures of the site. If you like it, definatly shell out for a GPS icon_smile.gif

MarcB

Took Log Book, Left Nothing

No reason at all. Several people do just that. Some things to keep in mind though (might be obvious, but if not could save you some trouble).

Make sure you're using the right datum. The datum used on this site (and the default on most GPSr units) is not the same as on most maps.

The difficulty rating was made by the cache hider assuming you're going to use a GPSr to find it. Many caches will be harder, because a map & compass often won't get you to as precise a position as a GPSr will. Then again, some caches in areas with poor satellite visibility might actually be easier with a map & compass.

But yes, go ahead and hunt some caches, however you want. Once you open the box, it doesn't matter how you got there, so long as you had fun.

SylvrStorm

*** Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry, and they laugh at you. ***

I attempt to first find the cache by using only tracking skills, makes it loads of fun, scouring every inch of ground for remnants of footprints, a small stone dislodged from it's imprinted resting spot, a twig broken or grass bent, depressions in the snow, etc..... Failing that, then the GPSr, then the hints. When not in an area I'm familiar with I'll use the GPSr to get in the general vicinity of the cache then attempt to track it. One thing you'll learn right away tracking....you love it when tracking someone that was wearing cowboy boots. those heels and pointy toes are like following neon signs, even after a hard rain has washed away other prints those remain. No wonder the Indians were always sneaking up on the cowboys. icon_biggrin.gif

someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.

quote:
Originally posted by King Pellinore:

disagree me with seneca. if you can get an accurate (within 20' or so) set of 'tudes, you don't need a GPSr! But the find should be based on the 'tudes, not the clues

King Pellinore

I'm interested. How do you get an accurate "set of 'tudes" without a GPSr? (see - now I might learn something!)

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

I'm interested. How do you get an accurate "set of 'tudes" without a GPSr? (see - now I might learn something!)

As Cholo recommended go to lostoutdoors.com. Enter the coordinates of the cache and get either a topo map or satellite photo with the location of the cache highlighted. The cache can then be found relative to fixed landmarks on the topo or photo. The accurate "set of 'tudes" are the fixed land marks: trail junction, stream crossing a trail, top of a hill/knoll, corner of a field, building, etc.

A guy in our area does not use GPS at all when seraching for caches. He borrows someone's GPS when placing, from what I can gather. He does quite well! His logs are always a bit more unique: e.g.

"Had to go back to the prominent geographic object and re-orient myself." Or the ever-impressive

"made a bee line for it - just where I thought it should be"

-- I recognize fun when I see it.

quote:
Originally posted by TheCacheCows:

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

As Cholo recommended go to lostoutdoors.com. Enter the coordinates of the cache and get either a topo map or satellite photo with the location of the cache highlighted. The cache can then be found relative to fixed landmarks on the topo or photo. The accurate "set of 'tudes" are the fixed land marks: trail junction, stream crossing a trail, top of a hill/knoll, corner of a field, building, etc.

I think seneca was refering to placing a cache.

I found about 50 caches before I bought a GPSr. It's not that hard if you are good with maps and maths. I only failed to find a couple of caches, and some of those I found were multicaches, where I had to calculate the distance and bearing between two sets of coordinates and then count my steps and use a compass to get there.

I even placed a few caches without a GPSr. This was possible thanks to a detailed map with grid lines. I calculated the position of the cache from a few known points in the area, like road crossings, that were easy to find both on the map and in reality. Again, I was counting my steps to measure distance and used a compass to get bearings.

I have now checked my coordinates with a GPSr, and they were all very accurate.