Degrees of Separation from BruceS?

This topic from a year ago got me thinking: Since BruceS is the most prolific single geocacher I'm aware of, I wonder who has the greatest number of degrees of separation from him. Chances are it's someone who doesn't cache in the U.S. or a newbie with a small number of finds, so this could give some of the newest members of our family some bragging rights the old timers couldn't take away.

Since BruceS has already found one of my caches, I'm immediately excluded from any chance of winning this "competition".

And for those who've found a large number of caches (let's say >100), is anyone separated by more than two degrees?

This page may help you in your search.

worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by Johnnie Stalkers:

So the idea here would be to own only 1 REALLY uninteresting micro with a 5/5 rating?..

Using the criteria from the original topic, it's not limited to caches you own (though that would be an interesting subcategory); it includes caches found and even cachers who would link you eventually to BruceS. Example: You found cache "X". Cacher "A" also found cache "X" in addition to cache "Y" which was also found by BruceS. This would be two degrees of separation if I understand the original topic correctly, because it took two caches to link you with BruceS.

edit: On second thought, I think the example above would be only one degree of separation because you are linked by a single cacher.

worldtraveler

[This message was edited by worldtraveler on November 03, 2003 at 12:10 PM.]

It will be a challenge to find a high-number geocacher in the midwest who is more than 2 degrees removed. I just surfed through all 168 pages of BruceS' find list (thanks to a high-speed connection) and was surprised to learn that he and I have ZERO cache finds in common. I'm two degrees removed. Even after hunting for more than 500 caches in eight states, I've never walked down the same trail as BruceS. There sure are a lot of caches out there!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

Looking at the list of BruceS' finds (may take a while to load if you don't have a high speed connection), it appears that there are several caches that he and I have both visited. Although he is a member of our local club, I've yet to meet him in person. So, by finds I'm 1 degree, by person I'm 2 degrees (since other club members have met him). I've never visited any of his hides, nor has he visited one of mine, so by hides I have no connection.

I'm trying to figure out how to prove more than 2 degrees of seperation without hundreds of hours of research.

To prove 3 degrees of seperation I'd have to check the finds and hides of everyone who has hid a cache that I have found or has found one of my caches.

To go to four degrees I'd have to check everyone who has ever found a cache that was hid or found by everyone who has a cache in common with anyone who has a cache in common with me...... icon_eek.gif

Anyway, 3 MAY be doable, four... not with more than a few finds.

---Stats banner used to be here.---

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

I'm trying to figure out how to prove more than 2 degrees of seperation without hundreds of hours of research.

To prove 3 degrees of seperation I'd have to check the finds and hides of everyone who has hid a cache that I have found or has found one of my caches.

To go to four degrees I'd have to check everyone who has ever found a cache that was hid or found by everyone who has a cache in common with anyone who has a cache in common with me...... icon_eek.gif

Anyway, 3 MAY be doable, four... not with more than a few finds.

Someone could easily quickly provide a shortest path through the graph algorithm that would do this....If only they had access to the data in an open format...cough cough.

--

Arrr, there be smurfs ta smurf.