My Etrex be tough

I was out getting my co-ordinates figured, and cache planted a few days ago and tripped over my own clumsy feet. I went sprawling quite spectacularly across asphalt and countless pointy rocks - so did my brand new Etrex. I was hurt,

but not beyond healing. But my pretty yellow and black Etrex took a licking and kept on ticking!

Man was I sore for the next three days.

I will announce my cache formally in a day or so. (It's a Pacific Northwest I-5 cache.)

Robert

PS

I heard from a Jeff that he, too, dropped his Etrex and it, "tumbled off a ledge and fell bouncing off the rocks for a distance of about 50 feet and survived, and it also tumbled off my truck onto the road after I foolishly left it sitting on the cab of my truck. The display

screen has a couple chips and scratches, but the thing just hangs in there."

Glad to hear that they can take a fall. I'm an owner of the yellow eTrex also, and I often worry about dropping it. Luckily they have a lanyard but I suppose if you fell too it wouldn't help much.

The other day my cell phone got up close and personal with a sidewalk. It still works but it's got some ugly scars from the event. The eTrex seems a bit more durable though, none of that fancy, shiny plastic to scratch up.

Thanks for testing out it's toughness! Now I won't have to throw it down to find out how well it holds up. icon_wink.gif

Glad to hear that they can take a fall. I'm an owner of the yellow eTrex also, and I often worry about dropping it. Luckily they have a lanyard but I suppose if you fell too it wouldn't help much.

The other day my cell phone got up close and personal with a sidewalk. It still works but it's got some ugly scars from the event. The eTrex seems a bit more durable though, none of that fancy, shiny plastic to scratch up.

Thanks for testing out it's toughness! Now I won't have to throw it down to find out how well it holds up. icon_wink.gif

You'll die laughing at this...

I placed my Etrex, disposable camera, local cache printout and my water bottle on top on the passenger side of a car while loading my backpack and other items in the back. Got in the car and pulled off...

Well, 2 miles down the road when we got up to about 35 mph, things started flying off the top of the car [insert sick stomach-dropping feeling here]. We had to walk back a quarter of a mile to pick up things that flew off, but not the Etrex. The rubber on the bottom was the only thing making the thing stick to the roof!

those audiovox digital cell phones seem pretty tuff, we had one get drove over by a ford expedition (none of it was my doing) and it got mushed into the ground. Is still works even after that and several falls.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I've chipped my Vista out of an overnight freeze with an ice axe. I just dropped it 40' onto a boulder a week or so ago (my daughter was supposed to catch it icon_smile.gif ).

I have reinforced the click stick with a little doughnut of duct tape and have a little square of lexan over the display.

I've heard of a few people having display/PCB connector problems, but my unit has been extremely durable.

-jjf

I've chipped my Vista out of an overnight freeze with an ice axe. I just dropped it 40' onto a boulder a week or so ago (my daughter was supposed to catch it icon_smile.gif ).

I have reinforced the click stick with a little doughnut of duct tape and have a little square of lexan over the display.

I've heard of a few people having display/PCB connector problems, but my unit has been extremely durable.

-jjf

I am on my second Garmin Emap. On the first day I had my original one, I had removed it from the car mounting bracket and was placing it into the storage pocket on the car door to keep it out of sight while I was parked. It slipped out of my hand and fell no more than 8 inches into the storage pocket. When I turned it on again a vertical section one the display was “burnt out.”

The store happily exchanged it for me and I immediately bought a $30 yellow rubber protective and shock resistant cover for the unit.

I, of course, have not dropped the unit since.

Cheers!