Unusual signs found while caching

OneOfEm

I did not have a camera at the time, but my favorite signage occured back when Northwest Natural Gas had a big billboard add campaign with the slogan, "We've Got Gas". At the time there was a Dairy Queen near Toledo Oregon appeared to be perfectly framed under the billboard as you drove toward it from the west.

Have to wonder if it affected their hamberger sales that month. :rolleyes:

Not from a geocaching adventure, but this sign has always been a favourite.

hotel.jpg

Just for fun . . .

skinny_dicks.jpg

This is a picture I found via Google, not my own. I don't know these people. But, Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn is a roadhouse half way between Denali National Park and Fairbanks Alaska (if I recall correctly). I've been there. I've chatted with Skinny Dick himself, and yes, he is a small and very skinny man (or was in 1990 anyway). As gag gifts, I even purchased some "Skinny Dick Slicks" - his custom labeled, lubricated condoms. In case the multi-level pun isn't apparent to everyone, "Slicker" is a common slang term for rain gear.

Your tax dollars at work.<BR>Find the spelling error.<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?luid={5CF5DC37-6D70-498F-9DFA-F05C8C24F3C8}" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?luid={5CF5DC37-6D70-498F-9DFA-F05C8C24F3C8}</A><BR><BR>Mickey<BR>Max Entropy<BR>More than just a name, a lifestyle.

Speaking of your tax dollars at work, find the typo in this photo. It's from the inscription on the inner wall of the Lincoln Memorial. And no, it's not altered in any way.

typo.jpg

Your tax dollars at work.<BR>Find the spelling error.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?lu...A-F05C8C24F3C8}

(From the link)

Your Tax Dollars at Work.

See if you can spot the spelling error.

What gets me about this sign is that it is an official government sign. From the time that the sign was ordered, built, inspected, approved and installed, there were numerous people involved. Either they were too dumb to notice or too lazy to do anything about it.

Located in Fremont, California.

You would be amazed!!

I do freelance graphic design for a living, mostly in the garment screenprinting and signage areas.

I recently designed a tshirt for a local medical rehab facility for an promotional event they were having.

On the piece of paper that they gave me with their idea for the shirt was the name of the event.

Two words. And they both rhymed.

They wanted the first word stacked from top to bottom on the left side of the design and the second word from top to bottom on the right side. I noticed that niether word was spelled correctly, but I thought it was spelled wrong on purpose for a reason, since both words were spelled phonetically instead of correctly. :lostsignal:

Every proof I send has this disclaimer on the bottom in red bold letters.

PLEASE CHECK ALL COPY FOR PUNCTUATION, SPELLING, AND WORD USAGE. DESIGN IS CONSIDERED FINAL UPON YOUR APPROVAL

I got the OK and the design was turned over to the company that was doing the printing for them. Shirts were printed and delivered.

To which, the printer immediately contacted me and told me that one of the words was spelled wrong and need to be corrected so they could reprint the order.

Order reprinted.

"Then" they realized the other word was also spelled wrong!!

Order reprinted a second time.(third time to be printed)

Then the rehab facility tried to come back to me and make me absorb part of the cost of having to have them reprinted because of the misspellings.

Thank God! I had the signed proof of the original design.

OK if this thing had just gone to one person, I could have seen it as an oversight on the first print, since "a lot" of people just look at the layout and graphics in a design. (Which is the reason for the disclaimer)

But the original proof was looked at by no less than 5 people all the way up to the head of the facilty before it was signed and approved!!!

But then they also didn't look at it close enough to realize the second mispelling until the second printing was done.

I questioned the printer when they called about the first mistake. And they told me that they only requested the first mispelling to be changed.

Some days I just shake my ol' head and wonder how some people manage to make it all day without breathing!! :D

D-man :D

Edited by gridlox
531affc3-abc4-4f6b-84e8-079e3958395e.jpgMyrtle beach S.C.

OK? :lostsignal:

So they only have a problem with cruising during the middle of the night!! 2AM-6AM???

If that's on the strip there, I guess it's the "pass this point 2 times in 2 hours" that elimnates the need for the regulation any other time!!

I think it took us close to two hours just to go from one end to the other the last time we were there on a weekend in the summer.

Edited by gridlox

Found this one recently in a park in Franklin, TN near a couple of caches. Sorry about it being a bit illegible; it says:

CAUTION

UNSUPERVISED WATER

MAY BE

HAZARDOUS

Does that mean that supervised water isn't hazardous?

Oops, how do I get a pic on here from My Documents?

Your tax dollars at work.<BR>Find the spelling error.<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?luid={5CF5DC37-6D70-498F-9DFA-F05C8C24F3C8}" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?luid={5CF5DC37-6D70-498F-9DFA-F05C8C24F3C8}</A><BR><BR>Mickey<BR>Max Entropy<BR>More than just a name, a lifestyle.

Speaking of your tax dollars at work, find the typo in this photo. It's from the inscription on the inner wall of the Lincoln Memorial. And no, it's not altered in any way.

typo.jpg

EUTURE Am I FTF?

DiscGolfer

We did a CITO event with some conflict from the managing agency (due to a misunderstanding). The following week, I went back to the area, and there is now a sign which says NO COLLECTION OF TRASH.

What? Is there a thread or more info about this?

You have no CITO events logged.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
We did a CITO event with some conflict from the managing agency (due to a misunderstanding). The following week, I went back to the area, and there is now a sign which says NO COLLECTION OF TRASH.

What? Is there a thread or more info about this?

You have no CITO events logged.

Jamie

I don't log event caches. Here's a link to the cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f4-5b5653fda148

There were some birds nesting in the canyon below, which was closed. The area we were cleaning up was a viewpoint, several hundred feet above, which was *not* closed and was adjacent to a highway.

The BLM folks apparently thought we were going to be cleaning out the canyon itself, despite the fact that we told them many times this was not the case. We even had a bird rehab expect dude on hand to make sure that no birds were disturbed.

Edit: most of the controversy was documented in a thread on the old cogeo forums, which are archived and not accessible.

Edited by Mr. Snazz

typo.jpg

EUTURE Am I FTF?

DiscGolfer

You win FTF and all bragging rights attached thereto. :laughing: