The most finds for one person?

Anybody know why the first and 4th columns almost never agree? Shouldn't they? I guessed they would be different if people logged the same cache more than once, but I didn't think almost everybody did that.

quote:

Rank Cacher Found Hidden Total Found Overall

1 CCCooperAgency 2593 254 2847 2597

2 BruceS 2635 19 2654 2636

3 The Lil Otter 1846 183 2029 1853

4 jogps 1890 103 1993 1896

5 Southpaw 1749 70 1819 1757

6 stayfloopy 1723 5 1728 1725

7 Marky 1505 92 1597 1510

8 Show Me the Cache 1406 52 1458 1409

9 vdbalamo 1382 71 1453 1397

10 robertlipe 1426 20 1446 1432

Cheater, cheater pumpkin eater.

Sorry, that's something we used to say when whe caught someone peaking during hide-n-go-seek.

Same thing, but these be adults. Sad.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
I guessed they would be different if people logged the same cache more than once, but I didn't think _almost_ everybody did that.

Actually, event caches very frequently do receive multiple logs per cache.

For example, in many of the events I have attended, it is common for the host to place a few "event micros". These micros are treated as duplicate logs of the event cache, even though the cacher has actually found a series of distinct and separate caches.

"Event Micros" generally exist for the event only, so the GeoCaching approvers generally ask not to have to approve 3-4 extra caches for that day.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Maybe its time some of owners of the hundreds of caches around the world logged in the last 4 weeks by this team to check the actual logbooks?

Well, this is getting interesting.

I just heard that one cache owner DID check his cache tonite, and Electric Shavers was not in the logbook. Make of that what you will, but ES has one less find listed now.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

The CCCCoopers are pretty nice people in my book. After finding my Covered Bridge theme caches in Berks County and Bucks County PA, they invited me down to take me around to hide caches in the covered bridges in their home county of Lancaster PA. While I haven't yet taken them up on their offer, they were kind enough to send me a travelogue video in the meantime of the Lancaster Covered Bridges. It even included a whole travelogue on PA trains - the mother or mother-in-law are into trains!

What a nice team. icon_smile.gif

Alan

quote:

Well, this is getting interesting.

I just heard that one cache owner DID check his cache tonite, and Electric Shavers was not in the logbook. Make of that what you will, but ES has one less find listed now.

There are so many things that could happen. Once I logged but didn't log for everyone. Then everyone else got deleted and I had to fess up to the owner to fix it.

My daughter has changed names. The old name has nothing to do with the new one. If she ever does log those old caches on line she won't correspond to her perfectly valid find.

One cache I only had a white gel pen to use on white paper. That was a hard to read log. The next cacher wrote over the top of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

There are so many things that could happen. Once I logged but didn't log for everyone. Then everyone else got deleted and I had to fess up to the owner to fix it.

My daughter has changed names. The old name has nothing to do with the new one. If she ever does log those old caches on line she won't correspond to her perfectly valid find.

One cache I only had a white gel pen to use on white paper. That was a hard to read log. The next cacher wrote over the top of it.

You are quite correct, RK, there may very well be valid reasons for not signing the occasional logbook, and why I was very hesitant to point any fingers at all. There may very well be valid reasons how hundreds of caches all around the world could be found in just a few weeks. I think checking the logbooks is generally a valid way to verify though. We arent talking about someone who changed account names, and just what percentage of caches can you "forget" to sign?

Personally, I would not enjoy the rush of logging caches on the east coast, the west coast, and New Zealand all in one day, then flying right back to hit several other states around the country the next next day, but thats me. I guess with a big enough team of adults logging under one account, maybe someone working for an airline, anything is possible.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

You are quite correct, RK, there may very well be valid reasons for not signing the occasional logbook, and why I was very hesitant to point any fingers at all. There may very well be valid reasons how hundreds of caches all around the world could be found in just a few weeks. I think checking the logbooks is generally a valid way to verify though. We arent talking about someone who changed account names, and just what percentage of caches can you "forget" to sign?

Personally, I would not enjoy the rush of logging caches on the east coast, the west coast, and New Zealand all in one day, then flying right back to hit several other states around the country the next next day, but thats me. I guess with a big enough team of adults logging under one account, maybe someone working for an airline, anything is possible.

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

Teams can do that though I've always thought they should be kept 'separate but less than equil' myself. Once I even thought about a team since my friends span several states, but since our territories overlap the logistics were just not worth it.

Wooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooo 115 caches in one VERY LONG day there were 104 caches where they all signed the log books and 11 virtuals . This was quite an experience the second we arrived at a caches site before the geovan even stopped they would be out running to the cache to see who could find it first, all except one time where the van was left out of gear and with me in the back seat it kept on trucking .

We did not split up or anything like that they went to every site together, I stayed in the van 80% of the time and they asked for no hints. The only time I got out was to take a smoke or take a lxxk

They found less than 30 1 / 1 rated caches the secrete was the cache density ( zip 37219 ) we did the north side of town and only went downtown at 11:00 that night to do a mutli-stage and some virtuals and ended up at the Bi-Centennial Mall ( there was a cache there ) and listen to the bells at midnight to finish up our fantastic day of caching, they found their first cache at 6:15 that morning. There was also 4 no finds.

Lynn aka CCCooper, Lucy aka SBUX and Patrick aka Paddy Yenar thanks for the truly wonderful day we spent together Ya ll had me laughing all day Looooooooooooong.

JOE

quote:
Did I read this right? 115 caches in one day?

I don't even see how that can be fun. I love to hike, but I don't think I'd have enjoyed the Battaan death march. 115 caches in one day would be the geocaching equivilent of the latter to me.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

They started at 6 am and and finished at midnight. That's 18 hours. That's an average of 6.3 - 6.4 caches an hour. One cache per 9.5 minutes? That's going straight through. That's not allowing time for bathroom breaks, food or anything else. There's also travel time and log signing...

Looked at the caches for that zip code and it is very well saturated. By the descriptions and the distances, there seems to be a bunch not seperated with the .1 distance. Guess we all need to go to Nashville for a couple days and rack up some finds. icon_wink.gif

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

They ate one time on the road and had one official bathroom stop. This is one of the things I love about the sport you can do it so many different ways like Speed Caching not unlike speed golf. This was not about a nice hike in the woods or a nice view it was about how many caches they could find in a day.

It was FUN, to me anytime you have the opportunity to share geocaching stories and experiences with your fellow geocacher’s is a blast.

The 115 was for Saturday they also hunted Friday and Sunday but that’s another story

The day would not have been possible without the magic of Robert Lipe that cooked the data for us……………JOE

Why? If there are more somewhere else, why not rack up my finds? There seems to be a lot of focus on numbers around here, might as well help it out as much. 20 finds? I'm at 16 right now. Not bad for just a little over a month if I do say so myself. When I get to 20, then you will be saying 30. It's not like i'm placing and maintaining caches in the other areas. icon_biggrin.gif

Brian

While I wasn't able to join them in the van, I was there in spirit and have met the cachers involved. They were hauling it! One key to pulling this off is indeed density. Of course, there also a lot of planning and needing overachievers involved. You really have to think about caches per square mile and caches per hour - every minute you spend driving is a minute you're not logging. As perspective, there are 106 loggable caches within a five mile radius here in Nashville:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=36.14708&lon=-86.73445&dist=5

There are a couple of rivers and interstates that prohibit you from just driving in a spiral, but it's urban enough that there aren't multi-mile hikes in the mountains in that list. But there are certainly other areas of the country where it could be done.

My hat is off to the crew that pulled it off. They set a goal and invested the work to make it happen.

quote:
Originally posted by JoGPS:

That’s right just posting on every topic in the forums that’s about all!!!

Oh no, Woodsters is posting again! icon_eek.gif What is he thinking? Doesn't he know you can't post that many times?

Ack! Geocaching will come to an end! He can't possibly learn anything if he keeps posting! I can't believe he actually has an opinion! Is he trying to take over? Does he really find it enjoyable to post?

Anymore questions, concerns, or complaints? Take a number

Brian

It wouldn't be fun, it'd be a blast! I wish I could do that!

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
Did I read this right? 115 caches in one day?

I don't even see how that can be fun. I love to hike, but I don't think I'd have enjoyed the Battaan death march. 115 caches in one day would be the geocaching equivilent of the latter to me.

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

WOW!!! icon_eek.gif I think I admire that total or think they need to take sometime to smell the Geo-Roses. Seriously if they had a great time and enjoyed it then it isn't hurting anybody. More power to them. I am tired after 5 or 6 finds in a day and feel satisfied and content and go home and mow the lawn or read a book. I am pretty darn bit by this great hobby we share but I still have other aspects of my life that are just as important. We all have to remember this was a well planned and well executed event by some very veteran cachers and when you cache like they do the only thing they have left is the intensity and love of the hobby to push themselves harder and they love doing it. Honestly if you see them at an event you will most likely see them relaxed and very conversational too. I know because I have seen it and talked with some. Hey that level of caching is cool and nuts at the same time but their are no rules how much or little you cache. It is pretty cool the sport is this open and free and hope it stays that way. icon_smile.gif

Wags, Russ & Erin

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

quote:
Originally posted by JoGPS:

That’s right just posting on every topic in the forums that’s about all!!!

Oh no, Woodsters is posting again! icon_eek.gif What is he thinking? Doesn't he know you can't post that many times?

Ack! Geocaching will come to an end! He can't possibly learn anything if he keeps posting!

You're welcome to post all you want. And you'll earn the reputation you deserve. A talker not a doer.

It's like the guys I ride bikes with. I ride with guys of all levels of fitness and skill. The guy who talks the most is the most out of shape and can only ride beginner level trails. You can image what happens when he gives his opinion on how I ride. He's welcome to make it but and it's valued accordingly.

Someone in you position has more to learn than to teach.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

Hats off to you, JoGPS! Most of us only got up to about 70 on saturday's Victoria Cache Machine. Gonna feel the ache for awhile.

Don't pay attention to antisocial clowns who just aren't up to this kind of challenge.

Want a challenge? try searching the forums and logs for ANY negative comment from anyone who has participated in this kind of event.

Cheers!

Ok...did I ever say that I know more than anyone else? Nope. Have I put someone else down for the mere number of finds? Nope. Do I relate being able to discuss a topic to doing it everyday? Nope.

I could almost see what you are saying, if I didn't have any finds. But as stated in the topic "I'm Concerned", I've stated reasons that I only have 16 finds in a little over a month. Of course compared to a selected few, the average is not very many. But to many others, 16 finds in a 40 days is not that bad. I've never said I have anything to teach. Let's get this straight, anyone can cache. There's no science to it. There's a difference between discussing something and actually doing it. Agreed. You may know the guys you ride with and whether or not they can put forth more into riding. You do not know me and my circumstances. Just because i'm online alot does not meant that I can use that same time and go out and cache. It's farther from the truth. Talking about something you like is better than not talking about it all. Especially if you can't do it. When you get to that point, you lose all interest. As someone else mentioned there are other things that are just as important and I will add, if not more important. If you don't like me posting and think that there is a certain reputation to earn because I post, in your opinion, too much, then that's fine. You yourself have posted nearly 2600 times in 17 months. Give me 17 months time and see if my post count is 2600, then you can gripe. Will it mean anything? Nope.

Learning as to teaching....hmmm I don't think I've ever said that I didn't have anything to learn. Have I helped out anyone on here with something I've learned already? Read my posts and see.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

I post, in your opinion, too much, then that's fine. You yourself have posted nearly 2600 times in 17 months. Give me 17 months time and see if my post count is 2600, then you can gripe. Will it mean anything? Nope.

I'm just having fun here:

Ok, I'm not a numbers guy, maybe Fizzy or one of the other math gurus can work it out, but it looks to me like old Woody's gonna hit 2600 posts in about 7 more months at his current rate. How about a pool? icon_biggrin.gif

hehe Mopar, that is if I go at that rate....but that is like saying the opposite too that in 7 months I will have 112 finds. Is that an acceptable number? icon_biggrin.gif

Now if I could just swing by Nashville on my trip next week and hit some of them densely saturated 1/1's, then I could help that number out significantly....

Brian