The most finds for one person?

It's Bruce S, who has 2,636 finds (not including the 20, or so he'll probably bag today). CCCooper Agency is close behind with 2,597 (but they're family of geocachers, Bruce S is one guy).

Check the Leaderboard for up to date stats. Note that the overall leaderboard can take a very long time to load. The stats for each state and country load pretty quickly. Here are the top 25 in order of hides plus finds, for those who don't have time to let the Leaderboard load:

Rank Cacher Found Hidden Total Found Overall

1 CCCooperAgency 2593 254 2847 2597

2 BruceS 2635 19 2654 2636

3 The Lil Otter 1846 183 2029 1853

4 jogps 1890 103 1993 1896

5 Southpaw 1749 70 1819 1757

6 stayfloopy 1723 5 1728 1725

7 Marky 1505 92 1597 1510

8 Show Me the Cache 1406 52 1458 1409

9 vdbalamo 1382 71 1453 1397

10 robertlipe 1426 20 1446 1432

11 DLiming 1349 4 1353 1352

12 georgeandmary 1134 168 1302 1145

13 Moun10Bike 1174 69 1243 1176

14 bthomas 1070 29 1099 1079

15 Geo13 1094 2 1096 1094

16 deermark 1058 27 1085 1058

17 Ron Streeter 829 141 970 835

18 Hazard 931 32 963 935

19 Team Sand Dollar 960 2 962 960

20 BassoonPilot 941 17 958 944

21 Jeepster 942 14 956 944

22 barondriver 812 107 919 816

23 WaldenRun 900 18 918 901

24 Greenback 854 60 914 856

25 daggy 875 32 907 901

An interesting note. You'll only find a handful of the people on this list to be regular visitors to these forums. I guess the rest are wasting their time out geocaching icon_smile.gif!

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 10, 2003 at 06:40 AM.]

And number 23 works sans GPS.

Formatted with the CODE tag for your viewing pleasure.

Rank Cacher            Found Hidden Total Found Overall 1    CCCooperAgency    2593  254    2847  25972    BruceS            2635  19     2654  2636 3    The Lil Otter     1846  183    2029  18534    jogps             1890  103    1993  1896 5    Southpaw          1749  70     1819  1757 6    stayfloopy        1723  5      1728  1725 7    Marky             1505  92     1597  1510 8    Show Me the Cache 1406  52     1458  1409 9    vdbalamo          1382  71     1453  1397 10   robertlipe        1426  20     1446  1432 11   DLiming           1349  4      1353  1352 12   georgeandmary     1134  168    1302  1145 13   Moun10Bike        1174  69     1243  1176 14   bthomas           1070  29     1099  1079 15   Geo13             1094  2      1096  1094 16   deermark          1058  27     1085  1058 17   Ron Streeter      829   141    970   835 18   Hazard            931   32     963   935 19   Team Sand Dollar  960   2      962   960 20   BassoonPilot      941   17     958   944 21   Jeepster          942   14     956   944 22   barondriver       812   107    919   816 23   WaldenRun         900   18     918   901 24   Greenback         854   60     914   856 25   daggy             875   32     907   901

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

Brian - Team A.I. you are sooooooooooo wrong they are a wife, husband, and children all living in one house.

I will be caching with the wife and one of her daughters this weekend.

JOE

The way to find more caches is to get off the couch

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

CCCooperAgency doesn't count though, as that is apparently many people in several states spread throughout the country logging finds under this account.

Say what!?! It's a husband and wife team with I think a kid or two - hardly an atypical configuration. Clearly they travel in several states - if you don't live in CA, you have to hit several states to score that many finds. (And I've long found it interesting that the majority of the top of that list doesn't live in the particularly cache-dense areas.) But since they live on the side of the country where the states are small, I don't find it alarming when logging multiple states in a day.

quote:

But my god....BruceS? Does someone pay him to find ammo cans hidden strategically in parks/forests of America? icon_biggrin.gif

No, I've met him, too. He's a gainfully employed guy.

In fact, seven of that top ten were at Geo Woodstock and all but one (maybe two) are working.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

CCCooperAgency doesn't count though, as that is apparently many people in several states spread throughout the country logging finds under this account.

Just agreeing with Robert. Not only is it JUST a family, it really is just the wife. Pretty much the rest of the family goes along for the hike, and to make sure Lynn stops caching long enough to eat and sleep. I've met them lots of times, and you will not meet a nicer family.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Just agreeing with Robert. Not only is it JUST a family, it really is just the wife. Pretty much the rest of the family goes along for the hike, and to make sure Lynn stops caching long enough to eat and sleep.

I don't know about that. They'll hit an area and will log a dozen or more caches, many miles apart in one day. And not quick 1/1 drive and dumps either. Either they drive very fast and walk faster, or they're splitting up to bag caches. Not that there's a problem with that. It just makes it easier to rack up the numbers.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

CCCooper is a prolific cacher, however I do have a question with their hides. On July 4th they hid four caches. One in North Dakota, one in Montana, one in Idaho, and one in Maryland. How is this possible? How is it possible to maintain 254 caches in many states? They recruit other cachers to place and maintain them, that's how. Now, if a cacher cannot count a find if they don't sign the logbook, how can they count a hide if they've never even been to the spot the cache has been placed? Just a question I've been wondering about. Any answers? hides are here

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I don't know about that. They'll hit an area and will log a dozen or more caches, many miles apart in one day. And not quick 1/1 drive and dumps either. Either they drive very fast and walk faster, or they're splitting up to bag caches. Not that there's a problem with that. It just makes it easier to rack up the numbers.

Like I said, I've met them at caches, and at events more times then I can count, and spent quite literally hours gabbing with Lynn around a campfire. To the best of my knowledge, they do not split up. I've never seen them apart. I've never seen them with more then one GPS (although I'm pretty sure they do own several). I've never seen them with more then one car. I HAVE however seen them leave the house at 3-4am to get to the area they plan on caching by dawn, and then not stop until the batteries in the flashlights are dying that night.

I saw her drive over 100 miles each way during a snowstorm that dumped 2ft on the area, to log a few new caches (mine included).

Like many families, not every member is present for every cache, one member is more driven then the others. That one member is the wife in this case. You might not see hubby one day, you might not see the kids the next, but you will always see Lynn at a cache, usually dropping off the famed CCCooper keychain, LOL!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

[This message was edited by Mopar on July 10, 2003 at 08:49 AM.]

When travelling, it's entirely possible to hit many dozen in a day.

As for the HAPPY series, if you look at the page, you'll see exactly what they've done - they're all placed with assistance of locals to maintain them. There's a clear theme.

I've never gone to the effort to ship 50 caches around the world, work with placers to get them placed and approved, but it sounds really hard. It also sounds like a neat way to get logs from folks you wouldn't otherwise get and to place one in areas as a "thanx" to the placers in areas you've visited.

I've met them. They're quite pleasant and VERY committed to the hobby.

quote:
I HAVE however seen them leave the house at 3-4am to get to the area they plan on caching by dawn...

Ummmm, are they aware you've been staking out their house? icon_wink.gif

Sounds like some people have alittle too much time on their hands (or no life) if there watching other people cache and now their hours for doing so. Now.. here's a pondering question... would taking a cache from its cache site and then not emailing the owner of the cache until two days later to tell them that something was wrong with it. Would have been alot easier to email the owner of the cache and state your problem, them to take it the cache home (another state, might I add) for you to fix. Still waiting for my cache its been almost a week!!! Hmmmm now tell me how you would respond to that question!!

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

CCCooper is a prolific cacher, however I do have a question with their hides. On July 4th they hid four caches. One in North Dakota, one in Montana, one in Idaho, and one in Maryland. How is this possible? How is it possible to maintain 254 caches in many states? They recruit other cachers to place and maintain them, that's how. Now, if a cacher cannot count a find if they don't sign the logbook, how can they count a hide if they've never even been to the spot the cache has been placed? Just a question I've been wondering about. Any answers? http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=CCCooperAgency

Cache you later,

Planet

That's interesting....

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:

Ummmm, are they aware you've been staking out their house? icon_wink.gif

Oh gosh, I sure hope not! I was just trying to follow them to the caches, officer, REALLY!

quote:
Originally posted by S.C. & T.J.:

Now.. here's a pondering question... would taking a cache from its cache site and then not emailing the owner of the cache until two days later to tell them that something was wrong with it. Would have been alot easier to email the owner of the cache and state your problem, them to take it the cache home (another state, might I add) for you to fix. Still waiting for my cache its been almost a week!!! Hmmmm now tell me how you would respond to that question!!

I'm still trying to find the question icon_confused.gif

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

I helped with the placement of CCCooper Agency's NC Happy Cache. A lot of time and emails went into assuring it was a well done cache. They also attended a recent event cache here in NC after leaving PA in the wee hours of the morning, caching across NC until the event began, finding two caches hidden there, and then caching their way back to Richmond by nightfall. They are a great family and my hat is off to their level of dedication and energy for caching. Great ambassadors for this sport.

It wasn't my point to turn this into a CCCooper bashing thread. What they've accomplished is amazing. When they come through this area, they'll find 10 or more caches on my watch list alone. I see the logs and am astounded (but I'd never buy a used car from them...the mileage probably turned over several times).

It's just that it's slightly easier to rack up finds when there a couple of people doing it. My point was to highlight the amazing record of Bruce S and not to put down what others have accomplished.

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

quote:

CCCooper is a prolific cacher, however I do have a question with their hides. On July 4th they hid four caches. One in North Dakota, one in Montana, one in Idaho, and one in Maryland. How is this possible? How is it possible to maintain 254 caches in many states? They recruit other cachers to place and maintain them, that's how. Now, if a cacher cannot count a find if they don't sign the logbook, how can they count a hide if they've never even been to the spot the cache has been placed? Just a question I've been wondering about. Any answers? http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=CCCooperAgency

Cache you later,

Planet

That's interesting....

Brian

_

Woodsters. I want to thank you for taking the time to reply so insightfully to almost every friggin' thread.

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

I agree with stunod - what was the question in all that???

As for CCCooper, I also met Lynn at one of the events. As I recall, she said that her and her husband own a business, so one has to stay and tend to business while the other goes caching!

And as others have stated, she's a really nice person.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

quote:

Cache you later,

Planet

That's interesting....

Brian

_

Woodsters. I want to thank you for taking the time to reply so insightfully to almost every friggin' thread.

http://www.sprecher.us/smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

You're welcome icon_biggrin.gif, but what does this have to do with me? Perhaps I've replied to every thread you have read, but to say I reply to every thread?

Brian

CCCooper (Lynn in particular) just have the geobug big time in a great way. Hey we all have it for one degree or another. I am the most impressed with #23 on the list. The no GPS Topo people impress me the most. Hey I can find my way out of a paperbag but don't ask me how I got in it. And with over 900 that is a tremendous feat. I have met the Cooper gang a few times now and I like them and they really try hard to be part of the Geo Community and give more than they take. I know what we have done for our first 100 in the last 6 months and that is what impresses me even more about this top 25 list. As passionate and as much as this hobby eats into our lives our numbers will never near those levels. icon_smile.gif

Wags, Russ & Erin

quote:
Originally posted by Last Lap Gang:

CCCooper (Lynn in particular) just have the geobug big time in a great way. Hey we all have it for one degree or another. I am the most impressed with #23 on the list. The no GPS Topo people impress me the most. Hey I can find my way out of a paperbag but don't ask me how I got in it. And with over 900 that is a tremendous feat. I have met the Cooper gang a few times now and I like them and they really try hard to be part of the Geo Community and give more than they take. I know what we have done for our first 100 in the last 6 months and that is what impresses me even more about this top 25 list. As passionate and as much as this hobby eats into our lives our numbers will never near those levels. icon_smile.gif

Wags, Russ & Erin

And from what I understand of #23 (Waldenrun) is that if you haven't figured it out yet, he runs to the caches. Talk about caching to stay in shape! I read one online log that another user parked their care and their kid made a remark of the maps inside another car next to them. The user knew who it was. Then later on in the log, it said that they "spotted him". Made me think they spotted sasquatch or bigfoot.

Brian

(From Mrs. Last Lap) #1. Lynn is a very nice person, and I've seen her and her family at a couple of picnics. If geocaching needed a cheerleader, she'd be it. #2 Her family must be VERY tolerant, and supportive people, to assist and participate to the degree that they do. #3 I have my own suspicions about them. #4 I love their mystique within this Geocaching community, and I hope it continues.

#5 A good magician never reveals her tricks.

It's all about fun, and as long as we're all having it, who cares about numbers?

Wags, Russ & Erin

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:

They must have done, at least once. I remember one day they logged around 20 caches in New York and northern NJ and around another 15 in Maryland and Virginia. They really are amazing.

There is no WAY I'm gonna look thru 2500+ logs to see what ones you mean, but I wouldn't totally rule it out. I have seen amazing examples posted here of people logging 70 caches in a day. Southern NY to Northern VA is only about 200-250 miles driving, including passing thru NJ and MD. So I wouldn't rule it out, especially if the trip was mostly virtuals or driveby caches.

I've looked through a couple pages of their finds...most are in the immediate area of maryland, give or take those to pennsylvania. i imagine that some of the cache finds might of been on more than one day, but just didn't bother with the date thing and only logged it a certain day.

There are a good bit of virts in there as well as some locationless. That threw me off. There was one logged from Australia in the middle of some others, but it was a locationless. There were a few others as well.

Brian

quote:
So I wouldn't rule it out, especially if the trip was mostly virtuals or driveby caches.

Yeah, but they don't limit theirselves to those. They've done some of my toughest caches during their trips to this area.

When I introduce my friends to geocaching one of the questions is always 'Do you need a GPS?'. I always refer to WaldenRun as an example that, No, you don't need a GPS. It's a bit more challenging (it must be real challenging when it comes to projecting waypoints in the field), but definitely doable. I think of my finds, I've found about 20 without a GPS. I tell ya though, after having a mapping GPS, I get lost way too easy now when I am without it (while driving *and* hiking).

There is a cacher in my area, not nearly as prolific as WaldenRun, that caches without a GPS or powered vehicle. He bikes to all the caches he finds, and finds them without a GPS. Kinda cool.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

It's Bruce S, who has 2,636 finds (not including the 20, or so he'll probably bag today). CCCooper Agency is close behind with 2,597 (but they're family of geocachers, Bruce S is one guy...

I think Brian's point was that BruceS finds the majority of his caches alone, while CCC often caches as a family. Certainly it is easier to find a cache if more than one person is looking. This generally would allow for quicker finds and a higher count.

<Oops! Had I read the entire thread, I wouldn't have repeated Brian's point.>

quote:
Granted this is only for finds in Arizona, but some of the folks on this list ought to be on the Leaderboard (as near as I can tell) and aren't. Team Wyle"E" for example.

The Leaderboard includes hides + finds, which to me is a legit method of ranking, if a method of ranking is needed. Perhaps Team WE doesn't have a lot of hides.

BTW, cool website. Someone has a lot of time on their hands!

quote:
Originally posted by General Bracket:

Hmmm... Doesn't jive with http://www.azgeocaching.com/team_stats.php?srt=wt&pn=0&pp=$&sd=d list (look under "Web Total" for hides + finds).

Granted this is only for finds in Arizona, but some of the folks on this list ought to be on the Leaderboard (as near as I can tell) and aren't. Team Wyle"E" for example.

_I didn't research it so there may be an explanation._

Looks like the numbers are a little more accurate on the Arizona site too. Nice site.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

quote:

It's Bruce S, who has 2,636 finds (not including the 20, or so he'll probably bag today).

Brian were you are riding around with me today... I did find 23 today on my way back from a business trip... not bad considering I did not start caching until 2:30 pm and got home at 10:30 pm, 23 caches in 3 states, and about 250 miles of driving. It should be noted that the leaderboard is usually considerably off (usually in excess of 100) on both myself and CCCooper. Once I finish logging these caches my find count will be 2780.

quote:

The Leaderboard includes hides + finds, which to me is a legit method of ranking, if a method of ranking is needed. Perhaps Team WE doesn't have a lot of hides.

They have 13 hides. That'd be 924 (911 found + 13 hidden).

Look in the "Web Total" column, not the "Found" column. The "Found" column is just AZ caches.

quote:
Check out this group Electric Shavers

Please notice this find page for them. How???

Well it looks like a husband, wife, kids and an nephew/cousin who all log under the same account.

Kind of makes sense that they will have finds far apart on the same day since the husband/wife team live several hundred miles from the cousin/nephew. But you do have to wonder what the point is of all using the same account.

Edit: Hmmmmm, I noticed their log for this cache. The log says:

quote:
Yippie, Yahoo I found it.

Crew member in area running around and visiting friends.

Nice area & cache.

Took & left nothing.

The actual hike wasn't bad and took just a few minutes to make the find. I liked reading the books for years as well. Neat storey and cache idea. Glad to have this one done, it's been on my list to get for over a month.

I found this cache and it is not in a nice area. It's not a particularly interesting cache either. It's a 1/1, "drive and dump" hidden under a piece of rotting plywood. It's on a very unappealing, narrow, garbage strewn strip between an industrial parking lot and a highway. No hike involved either. You drive right up to the cache. Even if you park nearby, I wouldn't exactly call a 50 yard walk across a parking lot a "hike".

Did they actually visit it? Or maybe they were just being kind in their log?

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 11, 2003 at 06:23 AM.]

quote:

Did they actually visit it? Or maybe they were just being kind in their log?

That falls under cache maintenance by the hider. If a cache of mine got a log that didn't jive with the actual location, it would go right to the top of my maintenance schedule to make sure they signed the logbook.

Sure, the finds appear questionable, but in this case there are team members in various parts of the country logging under one account, and it also appears at least one travels a lot for work. Having talked to many members of that elite "1000 Club", I know that many things most of us think is impossible isn't, if you have the drive and determination some people do. So I will refrain from judging this team's finds. I'm more concerned about their 169 hides, actually. Seems like the ones in my area, like this one or this one are poorly placed, poorly maintained, and really nothing more then a 35mm film canister with a blank postit note inside. Geotrash. The second one was a cache that was originally several hundred miles away, and went missing, so it was "moved" here to NJ (apparently to bypass the newer guidelines against "vacation" caches). How can you move the cache if it was gone?

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

That falls under cache maintenance by the hider. If a cache of mine got a log that didn't jive with the actual location, it would go right to the top of my maintenance schedule to make sure they signed the logbook.

You must be in the minority, because it seems most cache owners never police their logs and never delete even obviously fraudulent finds. BrianSnat described the cache as a 1/1 drive and dump. Isn't that the type of cache most unlikely to receive maintenance?

quote:
Sure, the finds appear questionable, but in this case there are team members in various parts of the country logging under one account, and it also appears at least one travels a lot for work.

You told us what you would do if the cache was yours. If an account of yours was being used by others and many of the logs of one member appeared suspicious, would you look into it? One of the New York caches they claimed a find on has never been found...not even by its owner on a maintenance visit.