Gas prices...

A co-worker of mine is good friends with a guy that owns a gas station here in town. He was told while getting gas on his way in, that corporate sent out a fax to all owners advising them that as soon as the first bomb(s) fall, gas will go up $.50 immediately.

He's not one to BS things, so I'd be inclined to believe him. Just thought I'd pass the info along.

Brian

Team A.I.

Of course prices will fluctuate in times like this, but look at thwat they pay in may other countries. We do quite well. And other factors may make it go back down a little, like this.

If carrots are so good for the eyes, how come I see so many dead rabbits on the highway?

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

A co-worker of mine is good friends with a guy that owns a gas station here in town. He was told while getting gas on his way in, that corporate sent out a fax to all owners advising them that as soon as the first bomb(s) fall, gas will go up $.50 immediately.

He's not one to BS things, so I'd be inclined to believe him. Just thought I'd pass the info along.

Brian

Team A.I.

I remember the first time the bombs fell. Gas plumeted by 50 cents a gallon.

Then the next time something happened and they raised prices just to gouge. There was quite the backlash.

This time they may find their stores ransacked if they try to Phuck over everyone. You might want to pass that along to your friend.

Wherever you go there you are.

I guess I'm gonna fill up tomorrow. I'm paying already 1.94 for 89-octane gas. Jeep likes 92-octane best, but it's too bleeping expensive.

Anyway, this will make my caching binges more organized...I'll plot waypoint in topo software and plan my driving route so I don't waste gas.

I actually did this for Vashon Island the other day and the system worked great...most of the roads were unsigned, but I'd already got hte waypoints for critical junctions off the software. If I hadn't done that, I know for sure I would have spent an extra hour driving!

I'm not saying oil companies won't price gouge during a war, but for them to leave a paper trail by sending out thousands of faxes to station owners, it just doesn't ring true.

If a station owner raises his price .50 immediately upon the start of the war, the money goes into his own pocket, not the corporations, because he's already purchased the gas at a lower price. So if you do see a sudden jump, it's the station owner cashing in.

Anyway, crude oil prices have dropped drastically since Bush's speech the other night...go figure.

And what a time to choose to buy a Honda CR-V after 20 years of driving Honda Civics. I just had to have that 4WD cache mobile!

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

"A website called GasPriceWatch keeps tracks of prices across the US. The highest price yesterday in the US was in CA at 2.42 a gallon..."

Heck, the only gas station in the town of Big Sur was charging that much last December. I'm guessing that they generally don't sell more than a gallon or two at a time.

quote:

Who knows. I wasn't exactly driving when the last war started, so I was paying very little attention to prices then. The most recent memory of extremely low prices was a brief period 4 or 5 years ago when prices hit $.79/gal for a few days. Nothing like a full tank for 9 bucks.

Brian

Team A.I.

Good point. And every now and then when gas drops below a buck it's not so painful to fill up the Bronco.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:

Spoken like a true human shield. Can we UPS that guy and his boss over to Iraq? icon_smile.gif

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)

Gas prices here in extreme northwest ca.(klamath) was $2.15 a gallon two days ago.I noticed the price on may way to southern oregon to do a little caching.I drove about 40 miles to Brookings,that is just a couple of miles across the state line and gas was $1.85 a gallon.Needless to say I said , fill it till it runs on the ground.That' 30 cents a gallon cheaper for a 40 mile drive,go figure.

fishin'fool was here!

Got gas today, paid $1.49 for full-serve regular. This is actually a few cents cheaper then it was over the weekend. There are a few stations around that are $1.47 for full-serve regular, but they were too far out of my way to make it worthwhile.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

Brian

Team A.I.

I think everyone who raised their prices after 9/11 learned their lesson against price gouging. Since oil is DOWN $8 a barrel, I'm sure district attorneys are on the watch.

quote:
Jeremy Irish:

I'm not surprised. It's about time the pendulum started swinging back though (see: 1973 oil crisis and the rise of fuel efficient vehicles). Soon we'll all be driving one of these.

Bummer. I was considering trading up my '96 Saturn SL2 for something bigger.

35 MPG and $23,900? Keep your Saturn! My 2002 Satty gets 40 MPG and only cost $9,995. It has A/C and seats 4 people, looks kinda cool and has dent resistant polymer side panels!

Of course our other car is a Suburban with a 42 gallon tank that costs nearly $70 to fill up every two weeks. Between both cars, we average about the same as two full size sedans.

---------------

burnout.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

Nope, they don't let us pump our own gas here in NJ. It's against the law. I've never seen anyone hauled off to jail for pumping their own, but if you try one of the attendants will usually run towards you yelling "hey, you can't do that".

Sometimes it's frustrating when you're in a hurry and the attendant is busy with someone else, or slow to come out because its cold or raining. But when you're wearing your best clothes and going out someplace nice, or to work, its good not having the smell of gas on your hands.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on March 21, 2003 at 05:49 AM.]

I think Oregon also does not permit self-serve. I am certain someone will correct me if I am wrong.

When I was a boy, it was always interesting when we traveled to a self-serve state. Dad was in a wheelchair, ladies did not pump gas, so I was the one who learned how to pump gas. I liked it, but in those days, who'd smell like gas after you pumped it.

Generally speaking, NJ gasoline is less expensive that PA and NY and we receive an additional service. This is one government regulation I support. icon_wink.gif

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

It makes it tough on us out-of-state visitors. Full serve costs more (sometimes $.50 per gallon in California). I would never get full serve for my Suburban (42 gallons, baby!). I drove to the east coast once, it took the attendant a few minutes to convince me that it was the same price for full serve and that state law said that it was required. Wierd!

bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Frolickin:

I think Oregon also does not permit self-serve. I am certain someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Yes you are correct Frolickin.It was a nice day caching,beautiful drive,good caches,and somebody pumped my gas for me for 30 cents less than I pay and have to pump myself.Mental note"maybe should think of moving to oregon"

fishin'fool was here!

You think we're getting ripped off? I heard on the news a couple of days ago that as people were mass-exiting Baghdad before we started bombing, the price of gas in Iraq went from $0.04 per gallon to about $8.00 per gallon, and these are people who are lucky to make $600 per year!. Imagine what would happen to gas-station owners if the price of gas went up by 20,000% (thats 200 times!) in one day....Of course getting gas normally at about 4 cents per gallon wouldn't be all that bad either. icon_wink.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg