What I really enjoyed about caching ...

Darkmoon

After reading Criminal's post about not being in the right frame of mind and enjoying the caching, it reminded me why I enjoy this sport, hobby, pasttime or what ever you may call it! I have only been doing this a short time though I am an active outdoors type of guy and some of my favorite caches are where I have laid down on the ground to write in the logbooks and hear the wind thru the trees, see the squirrels scamper around and look at me like trying to figure me out, spooking deer up and watching them run and dissappear in the woods! I saw a Kingfisher the other day and I can't remember when the last time I had seen one other than when I was very young! I enjoy the hunt and finding the cache and it just truely energizes me, my family and friends know how excited I get talking about geocaching and all! I just want to know what other cachers get out of it!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

quote:
Originally posted by Darkmoon:

some of my favorite caches are where I have laid down on the ground to write in the logbooks and hear the wind thru the trees, see the squirrels scamper around and look at me like trying to figure me out, spooking deer up and watching them run and dissappear in the woods!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

All you have to do to fly is throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Be careful, some of those mushrooms are poisonous.

A life! I've loved the outdoors for as long as I've been alive. Whenever I'm floating down a river, or sitting by a lake, or campfire, my favorite phrase always seems to be "Aaah, THIS is the life!" Now I get the life everytime I go geocaching. With my GPSr, I am never without something to do. I'll never whine "there's nothing to dooo". I've made new friends. I've learned a lot. I've started hiking alone. I'm getting exercise, I'm making things, being creative, seeing the sights, finding new places...... I can go on, but you get the picture.

My preference is longer hikes into nature. I don't really care for urban caches, but I'd do them, I just don't like trying to be stealthy, or going anywhere I'd get the feeling I'll get caught at something. I like going for the scenery.

Cache you later,

Planet

"You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will

give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

... my favorite phrase always seems to be "Aaah, THIS is the life!" Now I get the life everytime I go geocaching...

Cache you later,

Planet

I call it a "mind-body-spirit" activity. It enriches every aspect of my being! I know I'm getting my life BACK from geocaching. It gives me incentive to do something besides sitting. I started working out at a gym so I can keep up with my hubby and our cache bud Trey. I still can't keep up, but maybe one day I'll get there!

Happy Trails,

quote:
... I can quit any time I like ... really, I CAN!!

Candy (Moosiegirl)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

For me, it's the mystery and intrigue of knowing there's something hidden out there, waiting for me to find it. Strangely, some of my most enjoyable caches are the ones I was unable to find on the first attempt. Afterwards, I'd upload the tracks from my GPS into my computer and analyze how close I was to the cache location. There was one cache in particular that I recently found after three attempts and when I finally located it, I felt a real sense of accomplishment. It's the thrill of the hunt, the attempt to get inside another person's head and figure out what they were thinking when they hid the cache. I never cease to be amazed at the clever and unusual hiding places that cachers are able to come up with. It makes you stop and take notice of your surroundings, looking for any small thing that looks out of place that might reveal the elusive hiding spot. Heck, it's just plain fun, what else can you say.......

So it's what you enjoy about caching. I thought it was a "I quit" thread because of the "enjoyed" word.

I enjoy playing in the woods as that's where most of our caches are around here. Next weekend I'm going to Eugene to get the caches along the bicycle path. It's fun to do.

One concern I have is that I was surfing back in the early 60's when very few people did. The Beach Boys came out and surfing went nuts. So much so that it wasn't as much fun and got crowded. So I stopped for many years. Now I surf every so often but never where there is a crowd.

I wonder how this activity will pan out over the long haul? But it's still fun for me now.

Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful

quote:
"Aaah, THIS is the life!"

You said it Planet! I can't count the nights I've spent in front of a backcountry campfire, cigar in one hand, cup (no glasses while backpacking) of cabernet in the other and saying those same words.

A good geocache hunt gives me the same feeling.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

What Snat said, plus this..........

I'm as new to this as new gets, but from our first find, it felt so familiar. Before caching, it was waterfalls and wonderful, beautiful remote areas that took an adventuresome spirit to get to. The GPS always went with, and I have waypoints for every memorable place I've been in the last few years, so that I, and others, could go back to them. I'm part gadget freak, part techno-weenie, and part outdoorsmen. I love to share special places and adventures with my family and friends. From our very first cache, I knew I/we were hooked. My hiking boots, kayaks, knives, camping gear and gadgets will see more use this summer than they have in a while.

Snat - I'll bring the stogies if you'll bring the cab and help me fetch some wood. icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

Usual Suspects - Terrapin & Bug

"Counting stars by candlelight, all are dim, but one is bright....."

Animated_MiGO_A88.gif

icon_cool.gif It gets me outdoors and away from people for a few hours. Today I found four on a beautiful sunny afternoon and didn't think about work at all. Now I'm not antisocial, but I do work in a very people oriented situation, so I really cherish my time caching.(I own the company so it's not like I hate work or should look for another job either.) I've even chosen caching over golf lately!!

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane