Ammo boxes should be banned

Mr. Snazz

Oy Vey!

Well, looks like I revealed my self to be the humorless ogre on this thread.

I just could not believe that Snazz was serious after all the other posts I've read from him, but I also could not believe he would back such a ridiculous argument in public. In the end I erred on the side of Snazz wouldn't back something he did not believe in and totally missed the humor.

Do I feel stupid now.

Thanks for the lesson

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

DirtRunner,

Good point but I can buy ammo in a ammo box and that just may be the next way I get a few ammo boxes. Great idea thanks for mentioning it.

But back to the real issue here.

Any little girly preaching about this tupperware should be shoved in an ammo box and left there until they realize how dry, warm, secure, roomy, and grand they really are. Besides tupperware burns better than an ammo box.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Geez, I can't believe all the people who are taking Mr. Snazz's post and some responses seriously!

This is a serious subject so what are you talking about, besides that dumb paper bag idea is dumb, about as dumb as Snazz himself. Think about it brian, what happens when it rains? Your dumb paper bag idea won't last long then will it, huh, huh well? As far as that comment above of yours, its dumb because I think everyone is taking this seriously so that makes no sense, maybe its just you. Are you dumb?

icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

-

-

-

-

Boy I sure hope nobody takes that seriously especially you brian because it surely was a joke

______________________________________________________________________________________

quote:
Think about it brian, what happens when it rains? Your dumb paper bag idea won't last long then will it, huh, huh well?

You think I'm stupid huh. If it rains you put the paper bag in a Tupperware container to protect it. Sheesh!

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

I don't know if I can go on here much further its just too dadgum funny to try and post something sounding serious.

Still laughing

We all know the perfect container but won't admit it. Black plastic garbage bags. They are water proof are hard to see and eventually are biodegradable...at least they are in Florida. They are so good that I have found ammo cans wrapped in them. Anyway I think the reason people like using ammo cans is because they are really insecure in their manhood. Just remember "Real men use tupperware" You don't need to say "ammo" to be a man

quote:
Originally posted by Freelens:

"Real men use tupperware" You don't need to say "ammo" to be a man

Yes you do...

Say it with me...

Ammo

Ammmmmmmooooo

AAAAmmmmmmmmoooooo

I put my cache in an Ammmmmmmoooo Can.

huh-huh-hee...you said can..huh huh

DirtRunner.

Your not first...But you could be next.

quote:
Originally posted by pdxkim:

I agree! They should be banned IMHO!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

My boyfriend told me that i'm pregnant because of an ammo box! icon_frown.gif

Were you within 10 meters of the cache?!?! icon_eek.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

quote:
My point is, there are more and more people joining this sport. If we were all use ammo boxes where would they come from? Obviously someone somewhere would need to use the ammo in them to free them up for caching. This means everytime you buy an ammo box, someone probably dies. If you use tupperware all that happens is that your leftovers get a little crunchy. I don't know about you but I can live with that.

USE TUPPERWARE, SAVE A LIFE

Let's all look at it this way, if we use all the ammo boxes they won't be able to carry any ammo to the battle. So by using the ammo boxes we are doing our part to end war. Leave the tupperware in the fridge where it belongs protecting my bologna from the harsh environment in my meat drawer.

Thank you,

Paul

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

To bring more women into the sport I think we should use shoeboxes. Or maybe jewelry boxes.

Worked for me. One geocache, I was hooked. Didn't even have to reel me in, I jumped in the boat.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

I went to a trade show and one of the giveaways was a container of two NEW golf balls and 9 tees. It's got someguys business card on it, but do people mind new golf balls? Can I put this in a cache? If I do am I going to be ostracized? Hey, these balls have never been touched! I can black out the business card info with a black sharpie, if necessary.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

I can't believe you crazy whackos who want to ban ammo boxes. Give me a break. If anything, tupperware should be banned.

Every single one of the caches that I've placed has been in an ammo box. Snazz and the rest of you weirdos need to lighten up.

Its just a game, folks.

I have sot an entire ammo can of 7.62x39 ammo, no one died, no one stubbed their toes, and it is going to become a geocache with in the next 5 days. It is already to go at my feet as I type. The idea that someone dies for every ammo can shows the typical anti-gun, tree hugger, someone afraid of their own shadow mentality. Alot of the ammo cans that i have are from the WW2 era, if they had been left full, or we just sat around and watched, many more people would have died and we probably wouldnt have the freedoms to talk about this, let alone on the internet or even have a useful tool such as GPS. Scream the evils of war and guns, but remember you owe your freedom and right to say that to the very items you trash. If you want to see what an evil gun can do on its own, go to this site:evil gun

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

Geez, I go away for the weekend and when I come back there's this nonsense about ammo boxes. Looks to me like "Mr. Snazz" was bored and decided the way to liven things up is to post this ridiculous claim about the 'dangers' of ammo boxes. The fact that they invented ammo boxes to safely keep live ammunition speaks volumes about their integrity. You'll note that even in todays high tech times, the military STILL does not store ammunition in Tupperware, or anything LIKE Tupperware. Why do you suppose that is? Do they know something we don't? No, we all know the good old ammo can is STILL the king of cache boxes, albeit somewhat expensive.

Mabye we'll next hear from a "Glad" representative who touts the Glad freezer bag as the best alternative to both the ammo can AND Tupperware...

One thing for sure, this thread has sure brought me to tears of laughter. Ya gotta love it!

icon_biggrin.gif

Um, honey, did you mark a waypoint for the car?

Well, Mr. Snazz IS smart enough to live on the better coast, even if he's slacking by not getting far enough north.

Look at the picture, he's either walking away all the time or he's walking backward toward the camera. No wonder he stubbed his toe! icon_wink.gif

If your house catches afire, and there ain?t no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

And it's a pretty funny one if you read all of the posts. HEE HEE HAHAHAHAHA.

My significant other however says all caches should be in ammo containers, they keep a seal, stay dry, and are tough enough to weather the elements.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

Ammo cans are clearly dangerous. The Society for Protection Against Hidden Cans reports thousands of hidden ammo can injuries each year. The society is also against the use of glass.

Tupperware is also bad: I read that anything plastic builds up dangerous gasses over time. This is escpecially true if the container is under plant material. The Stop Plastic Now Society reports hundreds of instances of hidden containers blowing up and spreading toxic gas to nearby towns. 140,000 people have died! The Society also is against the use of plastic bags.

I think all of this stuff should be banned. It is way too dangerous.

I read this on the web, so it is true. I'd give you the sites, but I don't know how to work that stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

My significant other however says all caches should be in ammo containers, they keep a seal, stay dry, and are tough enough to weather the elements.

Cache you later,

Planet

http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/contrib/edoom/spacecraft.gif

I'm concerned about how your significant other determined that an ammo can could keep a seal. First, where did he/she find a seal small enough to cram into an ammo can!?!? Did the seal squeal? Did the seal reel? How did the reeling squealing seal feel? What’s the deal? In his/her zeal to cram a squealing reeling bad-feeling seal into a can of steel, was he or she concerned how long it would take to heal? What became of the seal after the test? Was it made into a meal?

**Huddie Ledbetter**

[This message was edited by Criminal on November 04, 2002 at 09:24 AM.]

Actually I've found that if you leave mactoys in their original plastic wrap, they survive for a considerable time. I just scatter them around my coordinates and let it go at that. As for the log I would just wait for someone to log the find and print a page saying. "Nice hike thanks for the cach and mac toy". Put it in a 3 ring binder if you think you'll forget what it says if you like.

I'm done. You guys make this stuff too hard.

quote:
From WYODUCKHUNTER: Scream the evils of war and guns, but remember you owe your freedom and right to say that to the very items you trash. .

For your information I grew up in Wyoming, went off to fight in the jungle for 6 years. When I was out there, I discovered there is a whole lot more crap to do than I ever found in Wyoming. So I don't live there anymore (if I ever did). Glad someone does though . Besides you live in Sheridan, you have to travel at least 50 miles to find a decent tree to hug. Guess that's why sheep are so popular. icon_wink.gif

After reading this entire thread, I've decided to toss the ammo boxes; the Tupperware and Rubbermaid; the Glad and Zip-Loc; the used BBQ and Dubble Bubble containers; the plastic shoe boxes; the zipper bags, the paper bags, and the trash bags; and place my caches from now on IN THE BUFF, BUTT NEKKID, AU NATURAL, THE WAY THEY WERE MEANT TO BE. Of course that means I will have to buy a BUNCH of those Rite-in-the-rain Log Books and special pens I guess, but you gotta do what you gotta do! And I really liked decorating those containers ... this is sooooooo depressing ...

Candy (moosiegirl)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CentralTexasGeocachers/

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

quote:

Cache you later,

Planet

I'm concerned about how your significant other determined that an ammo can could keep a seal. First, where did he/she find a seal small enough to cram into an ammo can!?!? Did the seal squeal? Did the seal reel? How did the reeling squealing seal feel? What’s the deal? In his/her zeal to cram a squealing reeling bad-feeling seal into a can of steel, was he or she concerned how long it would take to heal? What became of the seal after the test? Was it made into a meal?

**Huddie Ledbetter**

No -no -no Criminal: "Seal-a-Meal is a plastic bag thingie.

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

I think we're headed in the right direction if we follow Snat's advice - use brown paper bags. I will in future use only biodegradable materials in my caches. Therefore, they will consist of:

one brown paper bag (as container)

one sheet of recycled paper (as logbook)

one doot (as trade item)

You will need to bring your own pen/pencil. Finders may sign in and trade the cache doot for one of their own, or may just decide to leave a doot without trading.

Just remember if you're going to trade, trade up in quantity or quality. icon_eek.gif

Even when I've gotten there I don't know where I am.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

quote:

Cache you later,

Planet

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Are you for real? You take the seal, cut up the seal, throw him in a blender, and watch him reel. Everyone knows if you put the seal in a blender first it wil fit into an ammo can no problem.

Another method is cremation. It reduces volume very well, however opening the box in a high wind can can result in loss of seal.

Oh great now we're gonna get the animal lover society on our case about another joke.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

On a more serious note...anyone who thinks that just using an ammo can will keep the cache watertight is mistaken. I have found caches that were soaked inside the ammo box, and ammo boxes where ants have built their nests. In both cases the box was sealed. I think you have to pay attention to the gasket, and also I believe that the lid can shift a bit when open, so you have to shift it back before closing. That is all.

Well i was thinking that Mr Snazz was just having some fun at first but it seems he might be serious about his thread. Ive been to alot of caches and have run across some really cool containers. Ive never opened an ammo can and found it to be wet inside. I sure cant say the same about tupperwares or other plastic containers.

But to be honest, ive never used an ammo can to house any of my caches either. I do have one tupperware container that i put out on the spur of the moment and its actually held up good, but the first time i get a "cache was damp" log, im changing it out. The 3 others are housed in various containers with lids that screw on and they have served their purpose well!

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

On a more serious note...anyone who thinks that just using an ammo can will keep the cache watertight is mistaken. I have found caches that were soaked inside the ammo box, and ammo boxes where ants have built their nests. In both cases the box was sealed. I think you have to pay attention to the gasket, and also I believe that the lid can shift a bit when open, so you have to shift it back before closing. That is all.

techinally i think if there is free movement of air, moisture, insects,(whatever elase) from outside the containter to the inside ISNT SEALED.

closed yes, sealed no.

if the rubber gasket gets old it can crack/break and stop "sealing" the container. as for shifting, yea that happens. you can actally shift the lid all the way to one side on its pins. then you pull up/back and seperate the lid and seal from the rest of the container.

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog and Chicken:

Well i was thinking that Mr Snazz was just having some fun at first but it seems he might be serious about his thread.

Of course it's all in fun, he started a thread that is quickly catching up to the Wilderness thread in reads and posts, because it sounded controversial. He wants to ban ammo cans, and advocates tupperware containers. Halfway through he comes back and wants to ban tupperware, yet all of his caches are in Ammo cans. Then he changes his avatar to one of his (?) face stuck in an amusement park giraffe board. hee hee ha ha ho ho.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

quote:
Originally posted by 7474505B:

Why use ammo cans or tupperware, when you could use one of these?http://rustoleum.homestead.com/files/cachecontainer.jpg

but funny

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

Nobody has considered all the poor little Tuppers that have to die to produce the ware you want to use. icon_redface.gif

Think of all the little parent-less baby tuppers crying when the older tuppers are trapped and skinned for the HATED ware. icon_eek.gif

They hit them in the head with a baseball bat like the little seals ! OH ! THE HUMANITY !

RubberToe needs a new song for this one instead of the PB&J with a BBB.

>

>

OLDFRED

quote:
I'm old enough to know better, BUT Frankly my dear, I just dont give a dadgum !

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Ammo boxes can easily be mistaken as terrorist bombs, etc. They can get rusty and cut your fingers up, and they smell funny sometimes, I think the smell might be toxic or something. This one time a kid found an ammo box and decided to use ammo for other purposes, and this is no good! I also hear that sometimes potheads use ammoboxes to store their weed and that isn't good either because somebody might put weed in a geocache and then kids could also find that, which would be bad because the kids should be out finding regular geocaches, the good kind in tupperware, because those are nice.

We don'd need stinky metal boxes stinking up the game, let's stick with tupperware, its what works and it doesn't leak at all.

BEEP BEEP...CLICK CLICK...WHO CARES???

Just returning the favor, Mr. Snazz

So maybe someone does not die for every ammo can, but something may get sick from all the lead that is being pumperd into the ground. This will make our children stupider and stupider, this will cause more people to miss their targets which will result in further lead posing. This will continue until we all destroy ourselfs. So ban ammo cans because they will bring the end of the world.

But seriously ammo cans are just more fun to find (in my limited experience, stupid lack of caches in eastern South Dakota).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by Seesthewind and Redwoodmama:

After seeing ClayJar's post above showing an ammo can that had been submerged for three months, I thought a picture of our "Tres Madrones" Cache might be of interest:

http://www.seesthewind.com/cache_disasters.htm

http://www.seesthewind.com/images/images_.gif/eagle_fly3_cld_md_wht.gif

_I'm out of my mind right now but you can leave a beep after the message._

WOW!!! That'll put the hurt on a mac toy. But if it were tupperware it would have just melted into nothing or burned up, now you have a toasted usless can that needs to be removed from the forest. icon_wink.gif

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We have used all different kinds of containers.

A fishing tackle box, a metal first aid box, a big plastic mayonaise bottle, and of course tupperware. All of our hidden caches appear to be fine. We did, however, use an ammo box for our latest hidden cache "Your boots were made for cachin".

I don't think the container is the controversy; use whatever you want. How 'bout what you're gonna put in it!

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif