Ammo boxes should be banned

Mr. Snazz

There's something wrong with you "southerners"........ icon_wink.gif

Cast out of the jungle, with no rations or canteen

For selling faulty rifles to the thieves in Tanzania

Adventure, and misfortune. Nothing wagered nothing gained.

I have wandered though the desert, found the ocean- not the rain.

In my corner of Washington (which happens to be dessert with a lot of sun) I notice the tupperware lids degrade under the barrage of heat or UV. I thought about coating a tupperware in SPF 45, but then it would look like a chemical weapon. Trigger happy SWAT team or alien looking HazMat team?

And, buying RayBans icon_cool.gif for tupperware just seems silly and expensive.

Until they start selling surplus Star Trek photon torpedo casings I'm going to stick with ammo cans and spend the $2 on a big green geocaching sticker.

I've just spent best part of an hour reading all this rubbish. Now, for the first time in my life, I really understand why we gave America back to you icon_wink.gif

"Normal" people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

quote:
I've just spent best part of an hour reading all this rubbish. Now, for the first time in my life, I really understand why we gave America back to you.

I thought we kicked your red-coated butts and sent ya'll back to England with your tails between your legs.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

Sorry to hear you just spent all that time reading this. Who forced you to do so?

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by MarkRobb:

TUPPERWARE = Visions of rotten food . unearthed from the frig.

Anyone who owns tupperware has had this experience. Many a rotten surprise has made me tupperware shy...

Let me get this straight. If replace my metal ammo boxes with Tupperware, then that must mean that I will have to dump my spaghetti and soup lunches into an ammo box and take it to work for lunch. Oy vey! Life just got very confusing--and messy--for me. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_eek.gif

David Berne

Originally posted by wyoduckhunter:

The idea that someone dies for every ammo can shows the typical anti-gun, tree hugger, someone afraid of their own shadow mentality.

Let's see....out there exists this "typical" anti-gun, tree hugger. Well, now it makes sense to me. You are right duckhunter. How can one hug a tree and shoot a gun. Mighty awkward, I say.

What reveals more of your penetrating wit is your astute observation that those anti-gun-tree-huggers are afraid of their own shadow mentality. Well, not you mighty duckhunter, since you so bravely challenge those fiercesome ducks...wow!! What-a-man. And you must carry such a big gun.

In the psychiatrists office we overhear:

"Yes, Dr. Freud, it's phallic compensation, but it makes him feel better."

"Vell, doctor, I thinks this case shows quite a shadowy mentality." icon_rolleyes.gif

David Berne

quote:

I thought we kicked your red-coated butts and sent ya'll back to England with your tails between your legs.

Sorry, guys... you're right of course. There's no way we would have just given the Colonies back to you. It was a bit before my time but I suspect we just got bored, wandered off and left you to it... icon_wink.gif

However... to get back to the main topic of Ammo boxes versus Tupperware. I've read all the postings and not one of you has identified the real problem...weight !! When Mrs Pharisee and me go geocaching, her ex - S.A.S. rucksack is already filled with food, water, wet weather clothing etc. It really wouldn't be fair to ask her to carry a heavy steel ammo box loaded with goodies as well. She's really quite frail and a small Tupperware container would be her limit. So... unless anyone knows where I can obtain a supply of the latest NATO issue kevlar ammo boxes it has be be Tupperware I'm afraid.

"Normal" people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

tahoeberne : Not to back up MrSnazz or to slam him but, Southern Oregon used to have a Geocacher who was one of the fore runners and doing good. Until. Until he had a run in with the Railroad and the California court system. Try doing a search on "Hillwilly" and some of his caches in Southern Oregon. Bomb squad. Rail shut down. Highway 97 shut down. Swat teams. FBI. Court. Loss of much money to said court. Probation. Loss of drivers license. Gone from caching now so as to not step on his probation. Other then that, I use ammo cans, tupperware, rocks, tin cans, whatever it takes to make the cache work. But just in case, Do you guys think Jeremy will ever get a line of steel toed boots with the Geocaching logo on them ???? icon_biggrin.gif :

Our first plundered cache. Here is the log...

quote:
Well I found it.

It was spread all over the place and looks like it was plundered by something. I'm guessing it was an animal since there was a G-buck still on the ground.

I cleaned up the mess and hauled it all out of there along with a bag of normal trash.

I'm not real clear on the etiquette of finding a plundered cache but I figured it was better to haul it all out than to leave a mess in the woods with the navicache name attached to it.

Anyway, I have contacted the owners to let them know the situation and would advise anyone else to hold off until further notice.

It's a shame since it was a nice little hide in a pretty busy environment.

This was Upinyachit's second cache that we hid. We

used a cheap container and placed dog bones and biscuits in the cache. icon_confused.gif This just goes to show that the container DOES matter as well as the contents. It also matters whether or not the last cacher that visited the cache made sure that it was tightly closed. Simple consideration would have helped, I'm sure. No one really knows how these things happen, but when they do, just fix it. icon_wink.gif

Sooooo, that is what we will do. Upinyachit will always use ammo boxes from now on. We didn't think that it mattered too much, but with the weather change and reading this very enlightening thread, we have changed our minds.

THE CONTAINER DOES MATTER! Sorry Mr. Snazz; we like tupperware for our leftovers, but to use as a container for a cache, that is questionable. Especially the type of cache we hid. It was dedicated to the four legged friends of the geocaching community that are right "up in the caches" just like we are.

We have learned...

1. No food, even for our animal friends.

2. A fool proof container is essential.

3. Ammo boxes are the way to go.

There are some tupperware containers out there, like the one we used on Candie's Cache, that worked out well. The container had a nice tight lid.

We are thinking of replacing some of our cache containers with ammo boxes to insure their safety, against the weather, and for those nosey creatures out there.

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

I just got the new Cheaper Than Dirt catalog in the mail today and they've got a TON of containers for sale. Lots of ammo boxes and--for the non-ammo box type--some great military First Aid boxes (I found a cache in one last night . . very nice) and the decontamination kit containers, which I hear can make nice micro containers.

Of course, the First Aid kits were probabaly originally used to treat wounds caused by ammo from the ammo cans icon_rolleyes.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Ammo boxes can easily be mistaken as terrorist bombs, etc. They can get rusty and cut your fingers up, and they smell funny sometimes, I think the smell might be toxic or something. This one time a kid found an ammo box and decided to use ammo for other purposes, and this is no good! I also hear that sometimes potheads use ammoboxes to store their weed and that isn't good either because somebody might put weed in a geocache and then kids could also find that, which would be bad because the kids should be out finding regular geocaches, the good kind in tupperware, because those are nice.

We don'd need stinky metal boxes stinking up the game, let's stick with tupperware, its what works and it doesn't leak at all.

Snazz, snazz. Ammo boxes are the best for well-hidden caches. They are great away from city parks and the other easy things. You know this. You should not be 'banned' as some have said. Let's all relax just a little, OK?

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

Looks like Mr. Snazz has gotten his way, at least here in Oregon, anyway. I thought he was just joking about all this until i read the paper this morning. Check out this story in The Oregonian.

"Representatives have adopted the measure, effectively banning the use of ammunition boxes (or 'ammo boxes') while geocaching. The measure--known as HB2341--is expected to pass in the state Senate by an overwhelming majority..."

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

now look what you've gone and done! Hey you guys in Oregon should write your congressmen and representatives and put up a good fight for the old Ammo Box! Like that guy said: And when they came for me, there was no one left to speak up.

And Snazz, I'm just kidding.

Cache you later,

Planet

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

I'm concerned about how your significant other determined that an ammo can could keep a seal. First, where did he/she find a seal small enough to cram into an ammo can!?!?

Liquidise it and pour it in. No problem!

Statistics show that those with the most birthdays live longest.

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

Looks like Mr. Snazz has gotten his way, at least here in Oregon, anyway. I thought he was just joking about all this until i read the paper this morning. Check out this story in http://oregonlive.com/portland/oregonian/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/portland_news/103710599699411.xml.

"Representatives have adopted the measure, effectively banning the use of ammunition boxes (or 'ammo boxes') while geocaching. The measure--known as HB2341--is expected to pass in the state Senate by an overwhelming majority..."

I would expect something like that to be in 'The Onion' not the Oregonian.

Does the comment about never underestimating the power of stupid people in large groups apply to state legislatures?

Is the Oregon state legislature all democrats?

I'm not sure if Oregone has written something profound and interesting (as he usually does) or his cheese slid of his cracker. icon_confused.gif Admittedly, I'm from Washington and not as up on Oregon politics as I should, but I isn't the legistature out of session until early 2003? And their last special session was over in September.

The Oregonian link doesn't bring up any article for me either.

Checking the original text of HB2341 there's not mention of geocaching or ammo boxes. It was about the governor appointing a chair to Fish and Wildlife Commission. http://www.leg.state.or.us/01reg/measures/hb2300.dir/hb2341.intro.html Looking at the root of the web site I don't see anything else.

Now, Washington did pass a law in 2002 outlawing avatars where you're framing your face with your hand in the shape of an L. It's on appeal with the Supreme Court as Jeremy claimed it was somebody else's hand--therefore not subject to the law. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by dthigpen:

I move for MrSnazz to be banned from the forums. He has shown himself to be a bad person in general. Further more, I move that people must be charter members to be able to even post on the forums! Yeah! On top of that, you should have to pay $5/thread for read privilages to these forums. FURTHER MORE, You should have to send in all responses to thread topics to Groundspeak in writing within 72 hours of posting for verification or your response should be deleted!

Doug

[This message was edited by dthigpen on November 03, 2002 at 05:11 PM.]

dthigpen,

Don't you think it's overkill to suggest banning Mr. Snazz for expressing his opinion on a subject that has many responses both pro and con? Mr. Snazz---a bad person? Please back that statement up with an example. I have found many instances where I disagree with him, but banning, c'mon. Free speech, the American Way, Bill of Rights, etc. and we are here to have fun...and argue.....and disagree....and agree.....but banning on this issue--no way. How does it sound to you if I use your approach and suggest that YOU be banned? icon_eek.gif

Now I do support you on your ideas about people being charter members to post, and maybe even popin a few bucks to post on the forums; good idea. Even the verification of response might be worth considering. icon_smile.gif

David Berne

In keeping with the serious nature which everyone has been responding with, I agree with Brian. Actually what Brian says doesn't go far enough, since any container is inherently evil and will @)*)_*@#) up the environment. I think all the items should be simply left under a pile of leaves that way if the cache gets abandoned the cache items will simply biodegrade-- icon_eek.gif

Whoops. The items in the caches won't biodegrade, will they?. Sheesh, in that case we should just stop geocaching altogether now shouldn't we???

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

Ok, Ok Ok, I got it figured out. the ULTIMATE GEOCACHE. The line about new Coke did it to me. You go buy one of those household "safes" that look like an aerosol bottle of furniture polish with a hidden screw-on bottom, or a can of Okra, or whatever, you put your logbook in it, you throw it in the trash, and the following week you post the coordinates to the cache. The same coordinates as the local landfill.

NO DIGGING!

TRASH OUT, ALL OF IT!!!

NO permission required, the manager authorized its placement, and even used "Park" personnel to hide it!

Dont stub your toe.

I think this would be the first cache that rates a 6 without any special equipment.

icon_biggrin.gif

all I can say is OH MAY G&D...this great...keep it going...LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif...and im sorry that some of you folks dont remember the golden rule...dont mix business with geocaching...tisktisk...watch out for the geogods..they will get ya...ooo by the way I sell amway...a clean can is a happy can...lol...no I dont sell that stuff...I dont have time...to busy LOL at this post!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

You think a ammo can looks like a bomb? S#!T, I'll tell you what type of cache looks like a bomb is the 4" PVC kind with a big red expansion cap on the end. I only have been caching for a few weeks and so far I love ammo can's. If you find a ammo can cache and its too dirty or smelly for your delicate self you shouldn't be geocaching. You should be at your house having a girly tupperware party. And I don't know about the rest of you, but when I cache I wear boots. Not some sandals like mr girly baby, "oww i stubbed my toe" boy

quote:
Originally posted by carivercpl:

all I can say is OH MAY G&D...this great...keep it going...LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif...and im sorry that some of you folks dont remember the golden rule...dont mix business with geocaching...tisktisk...watch out for the geogods..they will get ya...ooo by the way I sell amway...a clean can is a happy can...lol...no I dont sell that stuff...I dont have time...to busy LOL at this post!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

See what you did?!! icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg