May have to say GOODBYE to GEOCACHING for everybody??

Guest Geoffrey

Guest Geoffrey

Will the GPS satellites have there civilian signals terminated alltogether???

I had alot of fun Geocaching while it lasted.

I am scared of these things that are happening now. Geocaching was great.

Guest Geoffrey

I heard about the world trade center and the pentagon being hit by 4 airliners.

I would like to continue geocaching if possible though. This is a great sport Jeremy. Love it.

[This message has been edited by Geoffrey (edited 11 September 2001).]

Guest Pat in Louisiana

I feel that the GPS system would have no effect or should I say value in an attack on such large targets. If we all use our common sense and place our GeoCaches responsible and with proper permissions there should be no slowdown. I do not think that the SA has been reinstated and hope it will not be.

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

30:27:13.392N

91:02:55.054W

I never get lost!

I simply investigate alternate destinations!

quote:
Originally posted by Geoffrey:

Will the GPS satellites have there civilian signals terminated alltogether??

I dobut it! You don't need a GPS to find the world trade center or pentagon. So, turning on SA won't stop this type of attack.

Donovan.

Guest clan ferguson

I think your all missing the point.

My fear is not of terriost using GPS as a method of attack.

These were serious terroist attacks. and just because they used aircraft does not mean authorities and the general populacice won't be warry of indivuals lurking around with little yellow gadgets placing and seeking odd looking packages. Granted most are in forested and wildneress regions. but what about ones like Quasimodo's Quandary (waypoint GC881)Where we would be in vechicles not local to the area lurking around public buildings and heavely populated parks? If you did not now what Geocaching was or what a GPS unit looked like would this not make you suspicious?

In light of what has happened in New York and DC. It would make me a little warry.

Would this not create a worry about the continuence of this sport?

James

-Clan Ferguson

people have a tendancy to take an event like this and try and see how it will affect every single aspect of their and everyones lives

its called dramatizing

although this was a terrible thing today

believe me people will wake up tomorrow and go to work and eat lunch and go home

just like any other day

i dont mean to trivialise the situation

but to think that gps will be cut off or affected at all is like saying nobody will ever fly again because of this

simply not even a consideration

I don't think people realize that if you change anything you do, other than appreciate your own life a little bit more, you lose.

If you give in to terror, they win.

And regarding "strange people with yellow gps units walking around in the woods," true - I don't disagree that people will have more heightened senses for what they perceive as strange things. However, as with many things, this too shall pass.

So, hug your loved ones a little tighter and appreciate the moment. Then go out for a hike or bike, geocache, etc., and enjoy life instead of locking yourself away in terror.

Off my soapbox.

Jeremy

Guest larrycot98

quote:
Jeremy said:

So, hug your loved ones a little tighter and appreciate the moment. Then go out for a hike or bike, geocache, etc., and enjoy life instead of locking yourself away in terror.

Well said, Jeremy.

I decided to look at this Geocaching forum tonight even though I'm exhausted from a long shift at work, doing what we in the military do in times like these, getting ready to execute the orders of the president, whatever that may be.

I don't believe SA will be changed because of these events. But if it is, and Geocaching is lost, we need to keep it in perspective. It's only a game. Nothing in anyone's memory who's reading this post remotely compares to the injury suffered by our country today.

The greatest thing about our country is freedom. The freedom to come and go as we please without carrying a passport. Our economy has thrived because aircraft full of people and goods fill our skies, giving us yet more freedom.

Nothing the terrorists who planned and carried out this attack can do will reduce our freedom one iota unless we allow it. If you lock yourselves in your homes, cancel your vacation plans, and cower in fear from the next attack, you've already given up the freedom that we've fought for for over 200 years.

So enjoy your lives, say a prayer, hug your family, and be free.

Larry

[This message has been edited by larrycot98 (edited 11 September 2001).]

quote:
Originally posted by jeremy:

I don't think people realize that if you change anything you do, other than appreciate your own life a little bit more, you lose.

If you give in to terror, they win.

Right on Jeremy - there is absolutely no point in living on "what if"s - you might easily be too busy "what-iffing" to notice the bus as you step out into the road.

Guest Cape Cod Cache

1, GPS is far too prevelant to be shut down.

2, don't get too paranoid.

3, cache responsibly, ie; not near some 'sensitive' area. Been discussed before.

4, disruptions happen after this stuff. I was going to drop my mother off at Logan airport today, hang around in Boston then take the train to Providence... Local news is full of stuff about both places.

I'll go tomorrow or take her to the airport in RI and skip Boston for a while.

Also I think there is a Russan 'GPS' system we could tap into now. IIRC It accuracy is about the same as ours. - we might have to use diffrent coordinates (and hopefully get rid on the decimal minutes)

Thanks Rogers. That's an interesting website altogether. I found the 3rd paragraph as very enlightening also. Especially the last sentence of it, which I've pasted below. I didn't realize that.

It's good to learn more about these nifty little gadgets that get me from point A to point B. icon_smile.gif

Thanks Rogers. That's an interesting website altogether. I found the 3rd paragraph as very enlightening also. Especially the last sentence of it, which I've pasted below. I didn't realize that.

It's good to learn more about these nifty little gadgets that get me from point A to point B. icon_smile.gif

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

Also I think there is a Russan 'GPS' system we could tap into now. IIRC It accuracy is about the same as ours.

Roughly when at 100% functionality, but the Russian system (GLONASS) is in dire straits right now -- they simply cannot afford to maintain it properly.

quote:
- we might have to use diffrent coordinates (and hopefully get rid on the decimal minutes)

The coordinates are not determined by the GPS system, but by the datum used to describe the position on the earth's surface reported by the receiver. This position can in turn be formatted however we choose -- decimal degrees, UTM, dgrees/minutes/seconds, and so on. Whether we use decimal minutes or not has no dependency upon on the GPS constellation used.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

31H/88F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

Guest boreal jeff

To my american friends, my prayers and heart go out to you. Especially to those who suffered personel lose.

As a Canadian, I felt fear and disgust as the events unfolded.

Your great democracy will emerge from this stronger and better. I hope those responsible are dealt with swiftly and harshly.

Thanks Jeff. I think Canada felt this hit just as painfully and personally as we did here in the states. Being such a close allie to us and our long time friendly neighbor, it impacts you all as well. I know many Canadians who are just as devastasted and horrified by this as Americans.

God Bless us all.

United we stand.