Tyvek

Guest lps

Hello. After having one of my caches flood, I did some thinking about placement of the cache and the type of materials used in the cache itself. I painstakingly scanned in the watersoaked log book for future viewers. Obviously paper does not hold up to well in damp locations. I found a source of tyvek paper which is water resistant and it is very though. I ran it through my printer for the stash note, and made a log book out of it. Pencils do not write well on it, but pens do very nicely. I used a laser printer and ink jet printer to make a stash note. I placed these in the rain for a day and crumbled them up. They hold up well under the conditions that I place them in. Anyways I thought I would pass this information on. I was creative in finding a source of tyvek.

LPS

Guest Quinnow

uhhh...maybe try zip-locks next time for your log book and stuff... I have a water proof cache but I still don't trust it enough, so I place everything in zip-locks to keep it dry and safe...But I am sure you have idea's of your own as well, but good luck anyways!

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest Quinnow

quote:
Originally posted by lps:

I used zip lock bags. My logbook still was soaked. Water penetrates deeply sometimes.

How can water get into a zip-lock if its sealed? was it ripped?

thats the purpose to zip-locks, they keep stuff in or stuff out. If you can fill one with water and it doesn't leak, then it can't let water in either.

maybe you had a pencil or pen poke into it?

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 04-03-2001).]

Guest Mike_Teague

obviously he had some jacked up ziplocks, and/or the container was not water resistant to start with...

I just learned today that my cache that was placed last May (5/7/2000) is STILL in good condition... Everything was in zip-lock bags, and the container was a rubbermaid 3 quart box... The 2 or 3 times I checked on it the only moisture I found on the inside was condensation...

And this is a geocache in Washington state! We get rain like a mofo!

Been using "Rite in the Rain" products for many field studies. Back in school I had to sit out in the rain for 12 hours taking grab samples and logging them while an autosampler was compositing. The logs always came out fine. They would make good log books for caches.

http://www.riteintherain.com

Guest cleenjeep

You can get tons of leftover tyvek at contstruction sites. When you are cruising by that new high price sub on the way home, or whereever, take a gander, and if you see words like "tyvek", or "house wrap", then that is paydirt. You can commonly find huge sheets of it torn up, half buried in dirt, or in the dumpster. Yeah yeah.. thats a long way to go for tyvek right? Well, its free!

Michael

------------------

Webmaster and List Admin for Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers

Personal Site is url=http://www.modempool.com/cleenjeep]Cleenjeep's Site[/url]

Guest dave f

You can also get free Tyvek, in easy to handle sizes, from your local FedEx, UPS, and other overnight delivery service dropoff boxes. Simply trim the edges of their envelopes, and use the blank, white, reverse sides. I'm pretty sure a carefully trimmed sheet would pass through an inkjet printer, although I don't know what the heat of a laser might do.

Guest xsintrik

You can get small note pads that are made of paper called "Rite in the Rain"TM. They make several size note pads, even grid paper, computer and copier paper. The computer paper won't work with injet printers though.

www.forestry-suppliers.com carries these products.

You might also try using a "Space Pen" in your cache. The special pressurized ink is supposed to be able to write on regular paper even when the paper is wet.

All of these may cost a couple of dollars more, but they are not unreasonable priced.